Where to start?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I am in the grips of buying my first detector, boy what a minefield. I started looking at the x terra, then the Gold Monster now the GPX4500. I live in Western Vic in an area that has a lot of gold history. I'm keen to go out detecting but I'm struggling to filter through the enormous amount of info out there. Thought I'd join this forum to help me get a bit more info from enthusiasts rather than marketing gurus!

Thanks in advance, happy hunting.

G'day Newby82 welcome to PA can you tell us your budget, that'll help people guide you. If your wanting to prospect for gold the best investment is Minelab I don't have any connection just offering my opinion. The 4500 is versatile with interchangeable coils and plenty of people on here are happy with them I've never used one. The SDC 2300 is a walk up start proven gold detector suitable for new and experienced operators. Keep watching more people will offer their opinion for you to narrow the field. With the above two machines you can be comfortable knowing they'll hold their resale value for a while to come.

Hi and welcome. Really depends on your budget. As mentioned the SDC or GPX 4500 are great machines.
I have run both but prefer the 4500 as I can change coils and punch deeper than the SDC.
However, the SDC is far easier to run. Just turn on and go.

Loads of people run both detector and you will not regret either one.

Good luck. My only advice is if you are buying secondhand check S/Ns with minelab. There are loads of Chinese copies.

Cheers

Thanks for your replies everyone. I don't have a budget as such, the dearer machines will take me longer to get as I'll just have to scratch and save more which is hard for me as I'm impatient. I'm leaning towards the 4500 purely because you can change the coils. Re serial numbers on SH machines I have asked numerous sellers for their serial numbers and it's surprising to see how many tell you that they don't have to give you their serial number then the ad dissapears!!! I'm reluctant to buy SH because ultimately you don't know what could of happened to the machine. It seems Minelab have a good hold on the market!

Hi Newby82. Buying second hand is OK if you meet the seller, check the serial number, check with dealer who sold it, get a receipt off the seller from the dealer. Take someone who owns a 4500 with you to test it out. Do not buy anything that's been modified.

The best advice I can give is to buy a detector that suits how much time and effort you want to dedicate to the hobby.

If you plan to put in a at least a few days every month detecting for gold over a couple years or more and you are prepared to go out with some experienced people and read the manual 3 times, and really test different settings and write them down, and if you plan to find more then a few crumbs of gold get a 4500 with signal enhancer/speaker, with the standard coil, a 12 inch round mono coiltek or Nuggetfinder coil and a small coil 8inch. You will need to become a student of the detector and become a little obsessed with getting good at the machine.

If you plan to go out occasionally, mainly on old digging and find a little gold.... get a 2300

IMHO do not consider getting xterra or similar...you will waste all of your time and money and walk over gold.

Cheers RDD

Yep what RDD said.
Buying through a forum like this is usually pretty safe plus most dealerships carry a stock of secondhand machines

Thanks RedDirtDigger. I'm a bit all or nothing, which is why I haven't gone out and bought an entry level machine. I would rather wait a while and save some more to get a better machine that will ultimately find more. I plan to head out as often as I can, which might be 3/4 days a month. The 2300 is very similar price to a 4500 and as far as I can tell the 4500 is a more versatile machine due to the coil options?

Hi Newbie82
Welcome, I am only new to forum and prospecting myself so more experienced people will guide you although I am like yourself so I went out and brought a GPZ 7000 and love it.
Cheers Jamie

Thanks More Leadshot... GPZ7000 now that's all or nothing!!! I'm happy to spend some coin on something that can potentially give me some return, but if I bought a 7000 the divorce would cost me a fortune ?.

Latest posts