Northern Melbourne suburbs

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi Folks,
I'm retired, now 67. In my working year, I was a Licensed Customs Broker, a Systems and Network Administrator and now, a registered breeder (VonBIOS) of working line German Shepherd Dogs with Dogs Victoria.

I have become interested in Gold Prospecting as a hobby. My interest has become enhanced as I have place two of my puppies with persons full time in Gold Prospecting and Distribution business (no names no pack drill).

The functionality of Gold Prospecting I see as an adjunct and opportunity to the early Critical Period Development of very young puppies to help them assimilate with sights and sounds.

At this stage I have not been prospecting and I suspect that panning at Sovereign Hill (Ballarat, VIC) doesn't really count. I have yet to acquire any equipment as I'm only in the research stage and of course, I will need to establish a budget for this project. There is no rush, but it is on my "Bucket List".

I look forward to learning from this forum and maybe even contributing in due course.

Kindest regards

G'day mate, welcome to the forums.

:) I used to take my Dobie pups into the Sydney CBD inside my bike jacket and then walk them through people's offices, get them to sit on noisy corners, etc. That made for really well balanced dogs, bar a couple. Never heard of gold being a factor though ... interesting! :)

Have have come across Dogs being used to detect all types of sulphide ore, after some suitable training of course.

Dogs apparently can find all sorts of sulphide ore, whether it is zinc, copper or nickel and gold.

I read where some dogs can sense 20 30 different types of ore. They can discover an ore body that is as much as 12m under the ground. I'd hate to dig for that.

Welcome Hyghlander and good luck finding ... er, colour!
1520752296_nuggets_dog.jpg

Anolphart, an interesting name consider the topic. I have never had much trouble detecting those "brown nuggets". I always walk around with my No.2's bag, with or without my dogs. :)

7.62marksman: I too was a 7.62mm Marksman back in the early 70's at Fort Gellibrand, Williamstown, Victoria.

I was also trained with M16, M60, Browning 9mm Pistol and other nasty things. Long time ago. I did however have the AR15, a Ruger Mini 14, Ruger 10/22, M1 (9mm) and an SLR 7.62mm (legal semi-auto) from Borneo campaign, until John Howard took them all away. :(

Many thanks Jaros. I'll be in Toowoomba later this year as I have German Shepherd Dog female due to breed around then. Maybe I can teach the puppies "Gold Sulphide" detection"? :)

Hyghlander said:
I was also trained with M16, M60, Browning 9mm Pistol and other nasty things. Long time ago. I did however have the AR15, a Ruger Mini 14, Ruger 10/22, M1 (9mm) and an SLR 7.62mm (legal semi-auto) from Borneo campaign, until John Howard took them all away. :(
AHHHHHH memories come flooding back :lol: :lol: :lol:

Welcome Hyghlander.
Being from the nth suburbs you are within an hour of some dynamite gold spots.
Your in the right place here to start your research,good luck.

Latest posts