What are the beat places to find Fossils in Adelaide area?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Im not from Adelaide so i cant help with a spot.

Do a bit of online research using google and you could narrow your search area down a fair bit. Then get out and have a look around that area. If you come home empty handed, start the process again and repeat until you find something.

Im not being a d#ck or anything. Im in the same process myself

Some fossils I have found from the Riverland and York Peninsula beaches.

Look at cliffs in the Riverland around Renmark, Waikerie, Blanchetown and beaches at Ardrossan and Stansbury, just to name a few. Hallett Cove is also good.
1520056241_image.jpg

1520056339_image.jpg

1520056340_image.jpg

1520056341_image.jpg

1520056342_image.jpg

They are very impressive bits of dead animals there folk's.
Then you figure out how old they are against our own age.
The mind boggles.
I remember looking at the exposed Lava flows in Cowell.
You can see the puddles left by the magma bubbling.
Just North of the Jetty.

We are really fortunate here in SA there are many locations that are prolific with fossils. Quite a lot in close proximity to Adelaide.

I would strongly suggest you contact your local Gem and Mineral Club as they regularly run field trips for members.

The 2018 National GEMBOREE is being held in Willunga over the Easter Weekend and there will be field trips on the Sunday for people to go on. One is to a location where mineral specimens are obtainable as well as material suitable for lapidary work the other one is to a fossil location where you will be able to obtain some interesting fossils. I have collected sharks teeth (albeit very scarce) from the fossil site we are going to.

Here is the media release for the GEMBOREE

Media Release For immediate release
Date 30th March 2nd April 2018

See the Olympics of Gem cutting, including The International Faceting Challenge at the National Gem and Mineral Show, hosted by South Australia, in the grounds of Willunga Recreation Park over the Easter weekend.

A festival of Gems, Minerals, Crystals, Fossils, and Jewellery, there will be displays and dealers from across the world and all Australian States. A highlight of the weekend is the display of the National Competition entries from entrants from across Australia competing for coveted awards. Demonstrations by craftspeople will be conducted throughout the event. Open to the public Good Friday 12-5pm, Saturday and Easter Sunday 9am -5pm and Easter Monday 9 am -12 noon.
South Australia is pleased to host the National GEMBOREE at Willunga in the beautiful Fleurieu Peninsula, and welcomes our international and interstate visitors, as well as sharing with the South Australian public the wonders of the natural world of Gems and Minerals.

The National GEMBOREE has been shared between the States for over 50 Years with South Australia hosting the event on 10 occasions since 1965. The South Australian events are well known for their friendliness and the warm welcome all visitors receive. Demonstrations and displays along with a variety of dealers local, interstate, and international will be enjoyed by the visitors.
This is a fantastic opportunity to bring your family to explore the beauty of Jewellery, Crystals Gems, Minerals, and fossils. There will be members of the local Gem and Mineral Clubs available to introduce you to the hobby. Food vendors will be there to feed your hunger pangs and coffee for those who would like to wander through the displays. ends-

For further information contact
Chris Rowe Convenor / Alan Foote Secretary
[email protected] / [email protected]
Chris 0400 207 095/ Lyn 0414 917 236

Gem and Mineral Clubs Association of South Australia GMCASA is hosting this event. See our website https://gmcasa.com.au/ or the Australian Federation of Lapidary and Allied Crafts http://aflaca.org.au/ for information about previous GEMBOREEs.

Latest posts