x-Terra 705 or gold monster ?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I know they both have limitations but I want to buy a cheaper second hand detector for my daughter/son/buddy to use when I go detecting ? Have narrowed it down to these two so advice would be appreciated ! Cheers bigrob

Well they are both very flexible machines the 705 you can change frequencies by swapping coils, Instead of the GM if you want something a bit more flexible then I would not count out the Equinox because with the Equinox your can change frequencies at the push of a button and all though the Equinox is a bit more expensive , with the 705 if you want to change frequencies then you are going to have to buy the extra coils which cost you a lot more than the Equinox in the long run, So the EQ gets my vote, but all three are superb machines.

hope that helps.

J.

I think the Equinox makes detecting a bit easier than the Gold Monster. The monster only tells you if the target is iron or alloy where the Equinox will give you a target value. We have the Gold Monster and have found gold with it. :Y: :Y:

Cheers

Doug.

Bigrob said:
I know they both have limitations but I want to buy a cheaper second hand detector for my daughter/son/buddy to use when I go detecting ? Have narrowed it down to these two so advice would be appreciated ! Cheers bigrob

I agree with Nenad,if you want both relics and gold then the Gold Racer is the way to go.

Keep in mind that gold detecting is probably the hardest form of detecting with a vlf, and requires dedication, patience and a fair chunk of hours to become proficient. With that in mind, might want to think about a detector that is also proficient at coin/relic/beach hunting to fall back on if interest wanes in the gold detecting deartment.

There are a few in the price bracket to choose from.I cant speak for the x Terra or the GM but for me the gold racer is a good value for money given the new price.
But if you have narrowed it down to those two then the GM would be my choice.
Good luck.

thanks again gang ! I'll have a closer look at the gold racer. Cheers i'm pretty pleased i joined up, what a great way to get first hand experiences rather than dodgy internet reviews.

The gold racer might struggle on the wet sand on the beach, a few here have had problems in the past, but if you want a true multi purpose , multi frequency machine then take a look at the new Minelab Equinox or talk to Phase Tech about the Nokta Impact or Maldon Gold Centre.

Ridge Runner said:
The gold racer might struggle on the wet sand on the beach, a few here have had problems in the past, but if you want a true multi purpose , multi frequency machine then take a look at the new Minelab Equinox or talk to Phase Tech about the Nokta Impact or Maldon Gold Centre.

The Gold Monster also does not like wet sand.

Cheers

Doug

Rockhunter62 said:
Ridge Runner said:

The Gold Monster also does not like wet sand.

Cheers

Doug

Yeah I have never found a high frequency machine that did, They can pick up the salt in your hands so the beach drives em nuts.

From one big Rob to another I would do your homework before buying a high frequency machine- 50 to 70 Khz- as they are only suited for low mineralised goldfields and you wont be able to ground balance any of them in most of the Victorian goldfields which have very high mineralisation. Dont let shop keepers influence your decision as they are not seasoned prospectors and will sell you anything to make a sale. I would ring up Gold Hunter in Ardeer, Melbourne as the owner there is a seasoned prospector for 40 years and found a 1 Kg nugget back in 1980.

oldtimerROB said:
From one big Rob to another I would do your homework before buying a high frequency machine- 50 to 70 Khz- as they are only suited for low mineralised goldfields and you wont be able to ground balance any of them in most of the Victorian goldfields which have very high mineralisation.

This is simply not true.

I would ring up Gold Hunter in Ardeer, Melbourne as the owner there is a seasoned prospector for 40 years and found a 1 Kg nugget back in 1980

What detectors do you think they sell that would help the OP?

Good call Rob.Could not agree more regarding Gold Hunter in Ardeer.As a pretty green prospector a couple of yrs ago he pointed me in the right direction with a detector.Great story about the kg nugget too.

oldtimerROB said:
From one big Rob to another I would do your homework before buying a high frequency machine- 50 to 70 Khz- as they are only suited for low mineralised goldfields and you wont be able to ground balance any of them in most of the Victorian goldfields which have very high mineralisation. Dont let shop keepers influence your decision as they are not seasoned prospectors and will sell you anything to make a sale. I would ring up Gold Hunter in Ardeer, Melbourne as the owner there is a seasoned prospector for 40 years and found a 1 Kg nugget back in 1980.

Ease up old timer ....................... Greckie from central west, Corey from miners den Brissy, Nenad from Phase Tech, guys at Coilteck M/borough and I'm certainly not going to forget JP to name but a few, as I'm sure he as do the others, all come under the heading of "seasoned prospectors" :rolleyes:
Any of those named I feel sure could give a person starting out good sound advice. :Y:

Thought I best add that I feel sure there are many more that I am not aware of also that sell detectors with experience of many years at it :)

Mick Cov said:
Good call Rob.Could not agree more regarding Gold Hunter in Ardeer.As a pretty green prospector a couple of yrs ago he pointed me in the right direction with a detector.Great story about the kg nugget too.

What kind of detector did you buy back then?

Latest posts