Knee problems

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks flowerpot, all coming together in may. 3months in wa then back to work for 3 months then full time retirement at end of year. Looking at a product called conductive textile tape to put inside a kneepad. This story of Lips will be told when I have a few whiskeys in me and the boss lets me tell the story of her nickname, even our sons call her Lips at times. By the way we will be in Leonora from June.

I don't think the guitar shielding tape will work as it's made of copper...

All the shielding fabrics, thermoplastics etc. seem to have some sort of metal (copper, aluminium, silver, steel) woven into them ...

Like BigWave said it's not going to stop the problem because the knee socked area will still perturb the field ... but it might diminish it, so it's worth a try.

If you can figure out something that works you might be able to create a product you can market!

Apparently carbon fibre has EMI insulating properties ... but only for certain wavelengths so not sure if it will work ... http://www.cfoam.com/emishielding/

It's not the shielding of the knee that's the problem. You have to basically make it look like it's not there. That is the principle used in RF anechoic chambers, where the wall linings prevent electric and magnetic wave reflection (i.e.: make the shielding walls appear not to be there). Trouble is, the material needs to get thicker with lower frequencies. At the low frequencies used by our detectors, it would likely be unworkable with current materials.

Agree with BW.

yep eventually you may work out some sort of sheilding, but I swear getting a longer shaft or modifying the way you step and detect must be a damn sight more economical and comfortable that trying to detect dressed up like a dalek.

You also don't want some sort of protuberance hanging off your knee, because you might perturbate your protuberance and you could be mistaken for a perbert.

Thanks bw and mt. Have contacted minelab who inform me they dont make extension shafts and say I have to make my own. I will persevere with my purterbance.

malri_au said:
wouldn't it be cool if it could reject the knee like iron?

Another great idea. What about a software audio filter that filters out knee related signals? I bet you could train a neural network to do that.

Combine it with accelerators attached to your knee and detector shaft to calculate the proximity of the coil .... maybe get the whole thing to run on an audrino board ...

madtuna said:
but I swear getting a longer shaft or modifying the way you step and detect must be a damn sight more economical and comfortable that trying to detect dressed up like a dalek.

.... point taken.

I was more thinking a knee cancel switch,we can know the make up of the knee,it's always going to give a similar response,being able to filter that 'known' response and respond as a rejection.

Ray and Lips said:
Thanks bw and mt. Have contacted minelab who inform me they dont make extension shafts and say I have to make my own. I will persevere with my purterbance.
Gold city detecting in Aldi. Peter Craig aka wild sandy makes longer shafts if you dont want to make one.

Edit...bloody auto correct! Aldi= Qld. Wild = Qld

How the hell does auto correct get two different words out of Qld?

gpz7000
1519866351_discing.jpg

Latest posts