What do you do with your old coin finds ?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gunter

Karl Wagner
Reaction score
Hi fellow treasure hunters

What do you do with all your old coin finds ??

I have a bucket full from the last few years ! Do you take them one by one and look up their value, or dump the bucket out on to the counter of a coin shop ?

Also , if you do the latter, would coin shop operator be honest , or tell you theyre worth nothing , to make themselves a mint ?

Dumb question , but never really heard what everyone does with them !

Thanks

Gunter

My tip would be to get yourself a list of Australian pre decimal 'key dates' and go through your coins one-by-one, sort the wheat from the chaff so to speak.

Generally speaking, most detector found coins, copper or silver, are only worth scrap value. Even key date copper coins, unless really lucky with soil conditions etc, will only fetch marginally better than scrap.

What you're looking for are key date silver coins that saw little circulation before being dropped. And on that point, when you do detect a silver coin, resist the temptation to give it a rub to see the detail, there's no better way to destroy a potentially valuable coin.

Good luck, hope you've got something good in your stash.

Thanks Chris

Appreciate the advice ! Would there be a list
Somewhere of valuable older coins ? I do have a massive book , of world coins, but would take years to go through each date , and find the more valuable ones !

Gunter

Wow Mbasko

Why the sheet havnt I heard of that site before ?

Its a beauty . Thanks

Gunter

Latest posts