Garrett or minlab pan kit?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Im going to be ordering a panning kit this week.
Ive whittled it down to the garret and minlab kits. Should i flip a coin to pick the one i purchuse or does one stand out over the other.

Hope im not opening a can of worms with this question ]:D

Any help appreciated

The only thing that in my opinion would edge out the Garrett in front of the Minelab would be if you considered the deluxe kit, hard to go past the Garrett Super Sluice pan, to think American's pay $9.95 for them :/

1519113492_1650400_15in_super_sluice.jpg

I ended up getting the garrett kit. It was on sale on eBay.
Im cheap and love a good bargain.

A big :Y: to dam it for offering some $ to put towards the postage. He has never meet me but i did appreciated the gesture. I couldn't accept but he is definitely a good egg in my books

Keep a passing eye on Gumtree, obviously if you need something asap it might not be the place to look as you are waiting on people to get rid of their gear but recently I was able to pick up a Garrett Deluxe Kit second hand but in very good condition (still had the box) for $30 plus I think $12 postage. Then grabbed one of those Banjo Pans for $35.
Had my eye on the banjo for a while but didn't really want to toss $90 at one if they were little more than a gimmick. Honestly though so far I'm really impressed with it, it's pretty cool to wash a few pans full of paydirt then see flakes of gold trapped in the little bit of black vortex mat. I panned into a big tub thinking no chance was I grabbing all the gold at the pace I was clearing the dirt/gravel but after about 10 very full unclassified pans at a blistering rate I was only dropping a few micro specks around that 100-200 mesh size, not even enough to reach for the snuffer bottle.
Glad you got a decent kit though Hippy, they are miles ahead of the cheapo pans with the 3 little raised ridges, you will have to condition yourself when using the gold trap if you have used those other pans as you can comfortably pan much faster.

I never thought of looking on gumtree but i will in the future. Thanks for the tip

I saw those banjo pan you speak of. I was hesitant to buy one, only because i havent heard too much about them. Im sure they are good but i thought i should start with the basic quality pan before i experiment with other devices.

Now i wait for the postie. He is going to hate me for the next week or so ]:D

I've had a lot of success with a garbo lid recently. I like it a lot. It's from a 60litre Willow plastic bin (about 15 0r 16 bucks at Bunnings).
I like it because it works well for very small particles. There's a 20mm vertical rim around the edge and there's also a deep trench along the bottom.
Unfortunately you have to buy h whole bin to get these, but I'm finding the bin pretty handy too. I have it turned upside-down with a steel drum I'll b making a furnace from under it so it is protected from the rain. Stuff can sit on the top too!

A bit off topic, but I reckon the bin and lid together would might also make a pretty good beer fermenter!

Latest posts