1974 Coronet van

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wishfull

Peter Johnson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Think I've got a bit of work ahead of me. Mrs Wishfull and I thought it would be good to get our little live in 7 y/o granddaughter out and about instaed of Youtubing and watching videos. So we found this 1974 Coronet 16 foot caravan that had been stored in a shed and it followed us home. But if a step down from the Lotus Trooper I dreamt about but that's life. Needs main door lock some window winders are seized or broken. Cupboard door latches need replacing, top vent cover missing some of the internal panelling need fixing. I am going to take the gas completely out, not that I don't trust our little girl but...um well just to be safe. There's a double bed at the rear bunk beds at the font and large couch and table.
It needs a good repaint. Check wheel bearings wiring water tanks flushed I could go on but as I get through it I will post up more pictures.
1518146036_2018-02-09_13.28.59.jpg

You can cut the inside Windows surrounds square and use aluminium angle of the correct size to reframe them... makes it look a lot more modern from the inside then. :Y:

DrDuck said:
Great stuff, Wishful

There are a lot of people in your situation looking after grandchildren, and I reckon the best thing you can do for kids of any kind is to give them experiences.

I'll be interested in your progress on the renovation!

It is also about memories. The memories of happy times exploring the world with their grandparents. These will last forever.

Looks like a good project, I replaced all the windows on my caravan with perspex, reduces weight by a lot + more durable.

There are lots of good resources online:
http://vintagecaravans.proboards.com/
http://ditzygypsy.proboards.com/
https://www.caravansplus.com.au/catalog/help-index.php
https://www.caravansplus.com.au/guides/step-by-step-wind-out-window-repair-a-10.html

My caravan build http://ditzygypsy.proboards.com/thread/3587/drons-16ft-viscount-royal-76

I finished renovating it over a year ago, but never got around to posting the 'after photos' hehe.

HoudiniHarry wote:
It is also about memories. The memories of happy times exploring the world with their grandparents. These will last forever.
Too true mate. I remember great times with my Grandparents taking me (and brothers) out spotlighting in forests. Brothers weren't that interested (and live sedentary lives these days), but I loved those trips. One grandpa even regularly let me sleep with him on his upstairs/outside balcony, where he would analyse each possum call for me and tell me WW1 stories in between (he was Australia's youngest ACE). I grew to love them (possums) - to this day.
My best advice is to get your kids and grandkids into the wilds!

Yep the memories. Look forward to being a pa poppy or whatever name they may choose one day. Ill always remember my pa waking me up in the middle of the night to go and check the rabbit traps, and the stories he told about trapping wild animals in Africa. We knew they were bs but loved em anyway.

HoudiniHarry said:
DrDuck said:
Great stuff, Wishful

There are a lot of people in your situation looking after grandchildren, and I reckon the best thing you can do for kids of any kind is to give them experiences.

I'll be interested in your progress on the renovation!

:Y: oh man this really resonates with me but wasn't my Grandparents unfortunately because I only met one GM. None the less I had my hero father and mother give me and my siblings life experience of the outside world :Y:. We didn't have holidays we lived the experience in rural SW NSW albeit a short term relatively speaking it moulded me to who I am today :Y:. Life experience of the outdoors no matter your age is akin to the flame of a camp fire always enjoyable and mesmerising.

Dron said:
Looks like a good project, I replaced all the windows on my caravan with perspex, reduces weight by a lot + more durable.

There are lots of good resources online:
http://vintagecaravans.proboards.com/
http://ditzygypsy.proboards.com/
https://www.caravansplus.com.au/catalog/help-index.php
https://www.caravansplus.com.au/guides/step-by-step-wind-out-window-repair-a-10.html

My caravan build http://ditzygypsy.proboards.com/thread/3587/drons-16ft-viscount-royal-76

I finished renovating it over a year ago, but never got around to posting the 'after photos' hehe.

Thanks Dron. I will have good look at those links.
Cheers

Spent a bit of time in the van today seeing as it has cooled down now. Decided to find out why the door lock didn't work. Undid the screws removed lock. The cog inside had a busted tooth. Someone had jimied the door open and busted it. So I spun the cog around so the teeth made contact and replaced the lock and shut the door, yes! it works says me. Bad idea. The door was now locked and I don't have a key Duh !
So dug around in my box of stuff and found some lock picks that I had from when I used to fit locks at work, people used to loose keys all the time.
Anyway after about 30 seconds had the door open.
I said to my wife that we will be fitting a decent lock.

I found I need 4 door catches 4 window catches 5 door handles 2 window winders and 2 top vent covers and winders so far.

1518232123_2018-02-10_13.36.17.jpg
1518232152_2018-02-10_13.32.40.jpg

Mackka said:
She looks great mate. Love the upholstery and wooden doors.
Mackka
Thanks Mackka. Just my personal opinion, l am not that keen on the dark look inside the van, I wouldn't mind changing to a lighter colour to brighten it up. I know there are those who would say keep it as it was like restoring an old car.

I am slowly towards the end of a near full strip down on a small 4m "77" caravan. Gee what a can of worms at first!!!
But with major time and effort im getting there.
Caravan plus have a great range and prices. They also get windows with a modern tinted look made in the old sizes of this erea.
Give the girl a good cutting polish, sumtimes you will surprised at how well they come up after.
I went the whole hog on mine, as I just had to. Lucky I got it real cheap.
Insulating it was the biggest plus. Major difference inside temp.
One hint if your not going to keep the gas inside like me, is loose the vents, put some 0.9 alloy there instead. The let so much dust in its not funny. Same with the fluted door.
They have external tables there as well, that fold flat against the wall.
I bought six 150mm computer fans from jaycar, they drag very little current and I have them fitted around the bed heads for a small quiet gentle breeze.
Check that caravans plus site out. They will have all the latches, hinges etc you need.

Thanks for that info MH. I am going to have to paint the outside as it has been painted before and unfortunately is lifting in places. So I will be pressure cleaning it and then rubbing it down and doing a full repaint job.

I hadn't thought about the vents letting in dust, good tip there ! I will check out caravans plus thanks.

Forgot to say. The interior paneling as had some water damage at some stage and really needs replacing, any tips on what material to use here ?

I used this 3mm white thermo plastic? It was once made in a heap of different thicknesses. 3,5,8,10 up to 32mm. Its starting to be used in wet area flooring. As it dosent rot etc.
light. But it doses needed to be etch primed, then a good enamel over the top. As it seems to pick up marks easily raw. Was only about $23 for an 8x4. Around $50 freight. I sheet or 20!
I totally stripped mine, so it gave me the chance to rewire it all, and I used the kingray blanket insulation. About 8mm thick. Even double it up. But in all honesty, I wish I just used 0.9mm painted alloy. Pan head SS screws and pop rivits.
Above all the windows and door I put a jay flashing made out of alloy to direct water well a away from the edge of windows etc.
Taking out the old windows is pretty easy, get a good knife to cut the old silicon out.
Some cheap shops have a degreaser branded 5 STAR (3 IN 1) . This is not a normal degreaser! More like a foamy oven cleaner. About $3, $4 at big w. Spray it all over the window, wait 20secs, rub the white foam with a paint brush, tooth brush in the tight spots. You will see it stripping the clay dust straight off!!! Then hose off. Repeat if needed. You will be amazed at how good this stuff is a dry hard dirt and clay. Slight caustic smell.
Awsum on the under carriage of vehicles! Wheel arches etc.
Then go to repco and get a caulking tube of "ultra blue" about $25. Use this stuff to reseal the window back in. It sets more like a rubber band than silicon. Real easy to wipe of excess with a rag.
If you ever need to remove the window, you wont need a chisel to undo it like silicon dose. Its not really an adhesive glue, but more like a rubber gaskit maker. Good for tappet covers too.
Hint. Doing a tappet gaskit with this stuff, put a good 8/10mm bead on cover, set in place, set tappet bolts to finger tight, so there is good even contact to both surfaces. Let cure for 24hrs. Then give a small nip up tighter. If you do it up tight to begin with, you just squash it all out, let it set to gain some thickness.
It just peels off like a big rubber band at next removal. Unlike silicon.

No problems mate. Im disconnected the gas in side as well. But im redirecting the gas line to come out the door side near my fold away table, where im going to cook.
Or you could even loose the gas cradles, and get a decent sized alloy box there. Have a look at the seagull design boxes, and fit it up on its side. This winged door design will not foul your turning capability as much. Simply make a support frame up out of 3mm angle. Alloy preferred.
There was one other good product I used to seal skin joints. That was a stuff called "tac flash". (Dont get the type bunnings sell) it comes in a roll form. 40mm up to about 150mm I think.
I has aluminum thick foil on one side, bituminous layer on the other, 3mm thick?
The external alloy trim moldings play a part in the sealing. I penciled in cover line and removed mine, clean up the joint. And roll width to suit. When cold and you remove the backing tape it is only slightly tacky. Some slicing needed around bends. Once your happy with it. Grab a hot air gun or good blow dry on hi, and heat it about a meter at a time, just till you see the tar ooze out the side of foil, with a rag wipe along foil with gentle pressure to help with bonding.. excess can clean up with mineral based stuff. Once done. Give it 10mins, and put you trim back on. Presto. Any Over hang just trim with blade and your turp rag. If you have skin joints on the roof that might leak. Use it there as well.
I ran some on the inside of skin joints when I stripped it out. I could see water stain where leaking.
and store the girl on an angle to avoid pooling on roof when not in use.
All the lighting fans etc run only on 12v now, I did run new 240v points, but the lights etc run from a battery that has a 240v to 12dc charger. Led's use bugger all up anyhow. Yet still have the 240v option for the occasions or plug in in to top up batteries via the charger or solar.

Why do you want to ditch the gas?
Surely the 7yo has been around gas appliances at home, just make her aware not to touch the stove.

Does it have a 3 way fridge?
If so there are some important things to know regarding baffling the back of the fridge.
Mine was apparently not working well at all when I got it, had a look and fixed the problems now it ices up the freezer in 1 hr, (that's bloody good for a 3 way)

Depends if you want to take the van and off grid camp or go to van parks.
I set mine up for totally off grid, just a personal preference.

The biggest problem in old vans is internal frame rot. I had to completely rebuild the front and rear frames and re line the interior, F big pain in the ass. Side frames are all aluminium in mine.

I used polyurethane on the windows, don't whatever you do use silicone, just don't, there are 3 billion reasons why silicone is crap.

You'll find all the windows if still factory fitted will have to be pulled out and resealed, I know it will appear like a MONSTER job, but it really isn't too hard at all.

Don't forget to install a safety switch as it probably won't have one, I fitted an RVD rather than an RCD as mine has onboard 240v inverter/batteries/solar system.
https://www.rvdsafe.com.au/vehicle-rv/

Latest posts