You are not logged in.

• Register to access all forum features  

chev1977
26 January 2018 10:33 pm

What is the chances of finding Gold near or around Victor Harbor or Fleurieu Peninsula and what are legal places to Fossick? I am brand new to this hobby.

Thanks

Guys & Gals smile

7.62marksman
28 January 2018 05:27 pm

victor harbor is at 6 o clock
it will give you a bit of an idea what is around the rest is up to you
1517120769_victor_harbour.jpg

Highbanker, Sluice, Trommel, Gold Monster 1000 (Khaleesi), Garrett Ace 400i (Rhaegal), Go-Find 40 (Nymeria), Non Turbo 2.8lt Hilux (Turtle), NAPFA member ----Even a broken clock is right twice a day

Hillbillygold
28 January 2018 07:22 pm

Hi Chevy1977
You can find gold in the upper reaches of the Finns river around Mount Compass.
Good Gold can be found in the onkaparinga just down from Clarendon.

Both locations would require permission to cross land to the rivers. However if you wanted to make the trek up the onk you could hike up from the national park, but its a fair hike but worth it. I have puled nice gold from here.

If you want more precise location, PM me

You could always try Jupiter's Creek in Echunga which is the only public fossicing ares south of Adelaide

Hillbillygold

OzzieAu
29 January 2018 10:48 am

HBG.....are you talking detectable gold or panning, or both along the Finniss and Onk.
...sorry to jump in on your post Chevy, but as a local too, I’m always after more knowledge about my backyard.

7.62marksman, if you don’t mind me asking, what’s the mines overly on Google Earth ur using?

GPX5000..2Evo’s...Whites SPP...Makro Multi Kruzer... ProFind pointer.

7.62marksman
29 January 2018 06:09 pm

i got it off ebay from a guy at Ulladulla NSW
cut and paste this in ebay two will come up they are both him
GOLD MINES NUGGETS LOCATIONS

Highbanker, Sluice, Trommel, Gold Monster 1000 (Khaleesi), Garrett Ace 400i (Rhaegal), Go-Find 40 (Nymeria), Non Turbo 2.8lt Hilux (Turtle), NAPFA member ----Even a broken clock is right twice a day

1 user likes this post: OzzieAu

TTKooAu
29 January 2018 06:32 pm

Blackfellows Creek, which was part of the Willunga goldfields, still shows some colour, but you will need permission. There was also a gold mine almost dead centre of Granite Island back in the day.

Sent you a PM about that Clrendon gold, HBG.

TT

'........ gold is where you find it, or where you lose it...'
Teknetics EuroTech Pro, Vibra-Tector 740, Falcon MD20, XPointer, pans and stuff.

Hillbillygold
04 February 2018 11:26 am

Hi Ozzie

I have only panned the upper Finnis directly below the hill on which there is an old gold mine, but there was evidence some one had been detecting. There is no sign of alluvial mining and the mine its self is a reef mind. The land the mine is on is privately owned but has been deemed or zoned as a sanctuary now. I got permission to enter the land from the owners which helps.

The best gold i have got is from the Onk, again i don't detect. I like to pan and sluice.
The area i go on the Onk was mined back in the day by the old timers and it was only alluvial mining. You can still see the evidence there. I have puled from the river, gold as big as 1/2 my little finger nail. Every time i have been there i have never seen any evidence of detecting. But i would say it would be great for detecting.

No one can stop you being on the river or 3mt ether side of it. The problem is crossing someones land to get to the river, that you need permission for.

The beauty with the Onk is its down from the Mount Bold dam, and once a year they open the flood gates ( usually at the beginning of winter to allow for winter rains ).
This sends a torrent down the river renewing and exposing new gold. There are large exposed quartz veins in the river banks and which also run under the river.

I now live in QLD so i haven't been there for quite some time. I don't know if things have changed there but every time i was there i never saw anyone or any evidence of any one being there, only my old digs.

I will post some old photos when i find them.

HBG

5 users like this post: RM Outback, OzzieAu, TTKooAu, malri_au, Wishfull

malri_au
04 February 2018 07:25 pm

7.62marksman wrote:

victor harbor is at 6 o clock
it will give you a bit of an idea what is around the rest is up to you
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com.au … arbour.jpg

those dollar signs in the gps co-ords look familiar... wink

Minelab SD2000|Bounty Hunter Quickdraw II|BH Pinpointer|Recirc Sluice|Pan|Noggin|Nubnutz|GM1000

1 user likes this post: 7.62marksman

malri_au
04 February 2018 07:30 pm

7.62marksman wrote:

i got it off ebay from a guy at Ulladulla NSW
cut and paste this in ebay two will come up they are both him
GOLD MINES NUGGETS LOCATIONS

traded for opal locations with the guy a long time ago,those SA maps with dollar signs are what I gave him.

Minelab SD2000|Bounty Hunter Quickdraw II|BH Pinpointer|Recirc Sluice|Pan|Noggin|Nubnutz|GM1000

7.62marksman
04 February 2018 07:32 pm

lol lol small world
it does seem to work well

1 user likes this post: malri_au

malri_au
04 February 2018 07:35 pm

heres what I mean...

1517733339_sanugghunta.jpg

malri_au
04 February 2018 07:40 pm

No doubt there's a few victorians running around with the 'VIC' edition I posted on facebook groups.

I removed it after a few venomous members gave me the shits.

7.62marksman
04 February 2018 07:55 pm

yes i paid for mine a fair while back now
i find it is good to use and as you see if someone asks i put up a snapshot of the area they are looking at
and as i have said its then up to them to work out if you are or are not allowed in the areas

malri_au
04 February 2018 08:15 pm

Shame we didn't meet sooner.you wouldn't have had to pay!

You hit the nail on the head as to why some of these maps are not for the average user,you need to cross reference with land ownership and park boundaries etc etc.

Last thing you need is all your gear confiscated.

7.62marksman
04 February 2018 08:21 pm

yes thats not a good start to your day
if i find somewhere i want to go i use six maps and start from there
havent had trouble yet but i am still young (yea right lol)

malri_au
04 February 2018 08:30 pm

I'm not too fussed,being the creator of a source like that is humbling enough,i've only got one life,and too many spots to dig.

The dollar symbol was the real giveaway,could have changed that and it could've been someone elses source.

OzzieAu
04 February 2018 08:33 pm

Hey malri_au, you seem to be a bit of a “ mapologist” and location expert..... have you had any luck yourself in finding a productive area from all your research efforts or is the research the main game here ?

malri_au
04 February 2018 08:43 pm

Research is always core to anyones search,so it has been my main focus for the last few years.

I honestly haven't put in the 'field' effort yet to make much in gains,personal health is an issue,also in SA we call them personal collections.

If I want to prospect in SA,I have to turn pro,which means going interstate until then.

Been gearing up mostly,gold has been on the back burner for a year or so with cryptocurrency taking up too much time.

I know you from the facebook groups I feel,perhaps we exchanged email at some stage? wink

OzzieAu
04 February 2018 09:01 pm

FACEBOOK .....what’s that? 8)

2 users like this post: malri_au, TTKooAu

malri_au
04 February 2018 09:20 pm

Fair enough,just asking ye to reveal yourself should ye be an old haunt.

Which SA detecting club are you in?

I've seen you've been able to get some decent station access,we should talk. big_smile

Beniblack
13 August 2018 01:55 am

Hey Hillbilly, I'm new to Prospecting, found a few tiny pieces at Jupiter creek by panning old railings but it's tiny pieces, very keen to give the Onk a go as I live around willunga, would be very interested to know where to head for a go on the onk.. Any help would be awesome. I've considered walking in through back of kangarilla where there's access for rock climbing but it's a fair slog down to the river, you reckon it be worth the hike? Cheers.. Benny..

Hillbillygold wrote:

Hi Ozzie

I have only panned the upper Finnis directly below the hill on which there is an old gold mine, but there was evidence some one had been detecting. There is no sign of alluvial mining and the mine its self is a reef mind. The land the mine is on is privately owned but has been deemed or zoned as a sanctuary now. I got permission to enter the land from the owners which helps.

The best gold i have got is from the Onk, again i don't detect. I like to pan and sluice.
The area i go on the Onk was mined back in the day by the old timers and it was only alluvial mining. You can still see the evidence there. I have puled from the river, gold as big as 1/2 my little finger nail. Every time i have been there i have never seen any evidence of detecting. But i would say it would be great for detecting.

No one can stop you being on the river or 3mt ether side of it. The problem is crossing someones land to get to the river, that you need permission for.

The beauty with the Onk is its down from the Mount Bold dam, and once a year they open the flood gates ( usually at the beginning of winter to allow for winter rains ).
This sends a torrent down the river renewing and exposing new gold. There are large exposed quartz veins in the river banks and which also run under the river.

I now live in QLD so i haven't been there for quite some time. I don't know if things have changed there but every time i was there i never saw anyone or any evidence of any one being there, only my old digs.

I will post some old photos when i find them.

HBG

ctxkid
13 August 2018 09:27 am

OzzieAu wrote:

FACEBOOK .....what’s that? 8)

a pain in the ass wink

...................................................Such is life........................................................
Oldest Copper coin 1799 left seated half penny, Oldest Silver 1834 Shilling

Goldenred33
22 September 2018 04:19 pm

Hey hillbillygold I was wondering where down from Clarendon the old mining was ? I have tried panning from Clarendon towards where peters creek comes in but no luck I have noticed domes piles of rock on side of hill just up from peters creek could this be the area thanks

Hillbillygold
01 October 2018 07:04 pm

Hi Goldenred33
from Reid creek up to Claredon.
I pulled the best pieces from where reid creek meets the Onk.
Hike up from Reid to and you will come across the old workings. There is exposed quarts vanes in the river and in the hill side. This is not in the National park but you are with in your right to hike up the river from the park if you dont want to cross private land. Google map the spot.
good luck

Goldenred33
03 October 2018 10:25 pm

Hi Hillbillygold and thanks very much for the information much appreciated

Contact Us - Privacy Policy - Terms Of Service

View Desktop Site