What is the minimum price for a 4x4?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi !

I have a very limited budget (3000$ max) to buy my future car that will accompagny me in the bush. Do you think that it is possible to find a very old 4x4 for this price? (in Perth)
If not, can I buy a "normal" car to go in the bush? In all case, what should I buy for this price?

Thanks !

Hi Etienne,

While it's not impossible it's a big ask. What you need to buy if heading into the outback is reliability as it's your life on the line if you are heading remote.
Auctions are possible, ex-mines utes but usually full of rust but often mechanically okay.

Unless heading into sandy areas or real rocky crap, often 4x4 is not needed but ground clearance is. As for mud, even the best 4x4's get bogged. The thing with mud out here is just don't drive in it. If it rains you stay put until it dries.

Diesel is prefered over petrol, some places don't even have petrol but all have diesel.

I've always found vehicles cheaper in the east than over the west for some reason.

Good luck!

If you shop around you may find a GQ patrol petrol at that price. May need a bit of work. I can't comment on what car you need for Perth/Western Australian bush as I'm not from around there. I have an 80 series Landcruiser and get to most of my prospecting spots deep in the Wombat State Forest (Vic) in 2wd, so not having to lock in my 4x4.
What you will need is ground clearance so don't go buying a lowered commodore. What you can do is buy a ute like an old 2 seater navara, courier etc. chuck a winch on the front which will pull you out of you do get stuck.
If the area you go to is sandy buy a air compressor from super cheap auto, they clip onto your battery, so if it's wet or your in a sandy location drop your tyre pressure around the 10-12psi and that should get you out and when your out of your predicament pump them back up

Hello, my 2c - look at the car auctions in Perth, if you have time, you may get a soft 4x4 for your money. Do you need a 4x4? well that will depend how adventures you want to be, where you want to go and most importantly the weather.

Note, at auctions be aware of the buyers premium

Cheers
David

Another alternative that would work is a cheap but mechanically sound "Holden "ute.
Why, cheap, easy to get parts for, every bush mechanic can work on it
Modifications
1/Lift kit
2/Winch
3/Diff locker ( front or rear, I'm not getting into the pro's and con's, just watch your thumbs with front lockers)
4/Portable air compressor

Then go out and play with it (with company) BEFORE you go bush, learn what it and you can do

Things to concider,

In many small towns, if it isn't toyota or Nissan parts will most likely needed to be ordered in.
Also In many small towns they will charge you a kidney, two pints of blood and your first born to supply and fit.

Fuel in some places comes from dubious origins so you'll want something capable of running on fuel you've drained from a dam and sieved through your dirty undies.

Thanks for all your answers ! I will think about it !

I was looking for a long car to sleep inside and I saw that we can find Subaru Foresters for 2500-3000$, she looks very nice, do you think that I should take this one ? (If everything is clean on the car of course)

mate that question is like asking how long is a piece of string
what you buy is what you get
unless we can look and touch the car then there is no way anyone would recommend it
sorry mate but if someone turned around and said yes thats a good car and you took it out bush broke down and died how do you think that person would feel
at the end of the day its up to you to make the choice

Yes of course Marksman, I mean, is this model fine usually to go in the bush?

That will be my job to see if the car I will buy has no problem

i think what Madtuna said and i cut and post "Unless heading into sandy areas or real rocky crap, often 4x4 is not needed but ground clearance is. As for mud, even the best 4x4's get bogged. The thing with mud out here is just don't drive in it. If it rains you stay put until it dries."

I would purchase something that you can/could get spares for in remote areas... That would probably rule out Subaru's... Save a few more $$ and purchase something that you could do some repairs to with the extra cash...
Fellow neighbour, got a early hilux 4x4 for $600.. Has spent around $3-4000 on new bits and pieces and now it's ready for his travels.... they are out there...just got to look hard....

Cars are a lot dearer in WA tho...

LW...

Yes I saw it but then Darkhorse says to don't take a lowered commodore car, if I don't take a 4x4, I would like to take a station wagon but it's very low :(

short story well sort of
a mate of mine has a land cruiser 91 series (i my memory is correct) with a 1 inch lift
went for a tour out woop woop way (in the middle of no where)
blew a head gasket and cooked the motor
he had a sat phone (thank god) rang for help which took 22 hours to get to him
from where he was
to be towed to the nearest town then get the car back here and a new motor ($6000.00) the final bill was $23,000.00
Tow truck was cash before he would allow the veh to be moved $3000.00
now this is a ex army guy that is even worse at having all the safety gear and looking after his veh then me (and thats saying something)
he spends most of his life driving all over Australia outback
it only takes one thing to go wrong
puncture your sump
2 flat tyres
cook the motor
blow a piston
whatever at the end of the day you are stuck
if you are going to get a car then stay on well formed roads DONT head bush
chose right the first time
enjoy the out back
and stay safe

If you want to spend long periods in the outback you would look for Nissan patrol , Toyota Land Cruiser or hilux.

If you only plan a few light trips then maybe you could get away with a lighter vehicle fitted with T/A tyres if you back it up with safety gear.

If you watch W.A. Auctions you will notice that because the mines have unloaded 10,000 dual cab hiluxes they are dirt cheap relative to single cab or extra cabs utes , I know you said you would like a vehicle that you can sleep in but your budget is a bit limiting.

On that topic you need to understand that deep outback is not a place for skimping on safety .

If you inspect many ex mines vehicles that are going to be auctioned you could see identical looking vehicles side by side that sell for the same price but one could be a thrashed out pile of scrap metal and the other could have had $25,000 spent on it in the year before sale.

**** inspect thoroughly before you buy****

Look for a fleet log book or mines service book in each vehicle , they list every bolt replaced , services , faults ,everything done over its life .

Larger mining companies are more likely to spend big on maintenance than small ones , and above ground mining vehicles are much better condition than ones that have been underground .

Underground vehicles are in hot humid corrosive environments and age 400% faster than above ground ones.

Some good advice has been given ...................... remember there is bush and then there is bush. What I would take out "bush" in Vic for example and what I would travel WA and FNQ in is two complete different things. Remote location needs reliability .......................... Golden Triangle for example your mate can probably tow you home during his lunch break.
If you can spin a spanner and know what your doing you can build a top rig for 3K but if your paying some one probably no chance. Buy something for $600 to $1000 and spend 2K on it will usually give you a much better vehicle than buying one straight up for 3K, but the parts you can buy for 2 K is far different from what you will get for a 2K bill from a repair shop.
:Y:
I keep a few spares around :D Why Pajero ? Probably cheapest and best bang for buck you will get with parts easily obtainable Australia wide. Found it quite amusing at times that the old girl that was taking me into some of the remotest areas of Oz, was worth half of the quad it was towing behind it ..................... but it always got me there and home again because the maintenance was done before I travelled :Y: Many times to much emphasis is placed on the big things when it's the little things like radiator condition, hoses, a crank sensor, fuel pump or even a dirty fuel filter. Have even seen a fuse leave some one stranded. A small hole in the sump is no big deal unless you didn't bother to throw in some spare oil to refill the motor ;) Remember Super Cheap isn't around the corner next to Maccas :eek:
When buying if you don't know what your looking at take someone with you that does, and by this I don't just mean the mate who is the so called "expert" ;) Good luck and safe travels :Y:

1516309367_paj_line_up.jpg

Etienne said:
Hi !

I have a very limited budget (3000$ max) to buy my future car that will accompagny me in the bush. Do you think that it is possible to find a very old 4x4 for this price? (in Perth)
If not, can I buy a "normal" car to go in the bush? In all case, what should I buy for this price?

Thanks !

Plenty of good advise here,personally i wouldnt touch any ex mine vehicle though,they cop a flogging,especially end of shift,theres some good old 4x4s that pop up quite cheap thats for sure,think you should be able to chase up an older hilux,triton or navara etc in perth for a good price,try carsales,id look for something that hasnt been modified by a young bloke also,preferably a standard one that an older couple had for towin there van up the coast or along them lines,older blokes usually maintain them quite well,theres some bargains out there if ya take the time to shop about.....

Goldchaser1 said:
Etienne said:
Hi !

Thanks !

Plenty of good advise here,personally i wouldnt touch any ex mine vehicle though,they cop a flogging,especially end of shift,theres some good old 4x4s that pop up quite cheap thats for sure,think you should be able to chase up an older hilux,triton or navara etc in perth for a good price,try carsales,id look for something that hasnt been modified by a young bloke also,preferably a standard one that an older couple had for towin there van up the coast or along them lines,older blokes usually maintain them quite well,theres some bargains out there if ya take the time to shop about.....

Agree with that,only seemed to have 2 speeds around Tom Price last year and it didn't matter what the roads was like either :N:

I would, we have 3 or 4 here. All suffer rust but mechanically including drive train are excellent.
You have to give them a serious look at before buying though. Chassis rust is a no go though but panels and trays can be replaced.

Latest posts