Enlightenment For Rangers and the like minded.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi Folks,
Most of us who detect local parks and beaches have at one time or another been approached by a ranger or other person who for some reason or another try to make our detecting hobby difficult. Most of these individuals have little or no idea that the majority of suburban detectorists do far more good than any perceived damage that they seem to have, we all know just how much junk of various types we pick up and properly dispose of. Less than an hour ago a rather nasty find came to light in a very popular park, where was the ranger? next best option was to photograph the find; it joined a growing number of other images of dangerous finds stored on my mobile phone waiting for the next person that turns up hell bent on moving me on. Not sure if it would do any good but sure as hell it would be a compelling argument to demonstrate the good aspect that we as detectorists do in the areas we swing over.
1516172881_20180117_172334.jpg

How would one of these individuals feel if one of their kids slipped and fell on something like this, it would be far from pretty, photograph your nasty finds and keep them handy to enlighten the next individual that gives you a hard time.
Cheers, SinHof.

I remember once when I went on my 1st. scout camp that after setting up the tent etc. we were told to go and have a swim in the Yarra River in Warburton. I was one of the 1st in running like hell and jumping into the river straight onto a piece of glass like the one above and slicing my right heel to the bone. It was really bleeding badly so off to the Warburton Hospital. I was more scared of the local anaesthetic and stitches than the cut itself.
Everything was going well until my parents turned up. I hadn't cried a bit-i was 10 yrs old-but when they turned up I just bawled my eyes out---tough guy!!
The whole troup had to dismiss the swim for a cuppla days. They found the base of a beer bottle-VB I think. That was the end of my scouting trip. 8.(

Very good post this....taking a pic is something that did'nt occur to me :8 but I'll be packing the mobile from here on in.I have seen all sorts of nasty stuff imbedded in the sands down at our local beaches..pulled out and disposed of them with a frown on face. good stuff SinHof :Y: :Y: