Would this Beat the new NSW regulations on Highbanking

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rockerfeller,
this is a plastic version of the same rocker box in use by member Yobskin from Qld. Yobs has an aluminium version with 12 inch dream mat in the bottom tray and bilge pump operating a spray bar...US version seems to be an exact copy.. It's all legal in QLD and has received blessing from QLD Mines. Although it's a pump we deem it OK in QLd cause it is a hand operated tool.

People in NSW have been talking about rocker boxes for a while but we have had this system up here for years via Yobskin's ingenious work.

Seems to me it would meet the requirements of NSW. :)

Thanks Cairnsbob & Mike, this may go a long way to solve my no highbanking in NSW problem.
We may be on to something. I had not seen yobskins rockerbox.?
Very interesting indeed
Cheers fellas :Y: :Y:

MikeB05 said:
Rockerfeller,
this is a plastic version of the same rocker box in use by member Yobskin from Qld. Yobs has an aluminium version with 12 inch dream mat in the bottom tray and bilge pump operating a spray bar...US version seems to be an exact copy.. It's all legal in QLD and has received blessing from QLD Mines. Although it's a pump we deem it OK in QLd cause it is a hand operated tool.

People in NSW have been talking about rocker boxes for a while but we have had this system up here for years via Yobskin's ingenious work.

Seems to me it would meet the requirements of NSW. :)

Hmmm! not sure if old mate invented the "Rocker Box" they bin around for a long time
He probably came up with plastic version... you how know they are with details and the facts ]:D

Not only has Yobskin got a rip snorter of a rocker, I also built one from a version I saw on the university of You Tube

Mine works well and I hear Yob's is a goer so it might be worth a look, but the cost might be prohibitive, a couple of sheets of aluminium and basic tools will get you one

Cheers

I think you could convert any bought or DYI rockerbox to add the marine type manual bilge pump.
I did a quick check and you can buy them locally from $50 ( Chinese) to made in UK for Around $100.
Available from the net or Marine places.
I can feel a project coming on!!!!!!

If you want to use a hand or leg powered water pump I dont see why it has to be a rocker box , highbanker could also be okay , especially if you have a two person team , one shovelling , one pumping.

If youre highbanking on your own then you would probably make a bigger feeder box above the grizzly , load it up with 10 shovels of gravels then get on the pump until its washed through.

I guess we are lucky , if the guvmint really wanted to stuff up our hobby they would have limited the size of our shovels instead of banning pumps ;)

Imagine how much trouble we would be in if they introduced a maximum shovel size of 11 inches wide ?

Spewin !

I am still in the process of building one, I recommend trying to hunt down a decent deck/bulkhead mounted manual bilge pump, some of the eBay ones are only rated to about 25L/min, would be like cycling in low gear up a big hill. A quick look and you can find 55L/min and higher for not much more. I was able to grab one at a garage sale and off the top of my head it's rated something crazy like 105L/min or 120L/min, it's down in the shed, but I know it's crazy high, only paid $20 for it too hehe.

I probably should finish the thing as I just recently grabbed a deep sided classifier off Gumtree for a song specifically for it. It's basically done, just a couple of welds (a small pain in the ass as I have to borrow a Mig/Tig as mine was pinched) and connecting the plumbing. Mats, moss, expanded for the sluice run all ready to go, just need to find some heavier gauge stuff for the header box. I had not bothered with it for a while as I'm starting to think I collect more gear than gold these days. I had the shits last weekend and told the missus I might as well just put it all out of the front lawn "free to a good home" lol.

Copied John Jacob's build pretty much, I have seen a few builds with a rod straight down the middle to break up the side/side action of the water a little and minimise blow outs, or vanes and even "flippers" http://bedrockorbust.blogspot.com.au/2014/01/more-rocker-box-mods.html

John Jacob's new design https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_VNW2QVIFs&t= video does not want to embed for some reason.

7.62marksman said:
Could you use a double rod evenly spaced
Would that work better or not

Mate, I can see why you would want the rod, makes sense. Not sure until testing in the field though if one or two would be optimal. John Jacobs uses 2 rods in the back of the box, none down the middle past where the expanded starts, although a lot of guys who only use rockers suggest running a rod like the Gold Grabber Rocker.

I'm seriously going to have to slow down a bit or hide some of the gear I'm finding lol, the Auspost girl asks me what was my latest buy, calls me by name.
My missus had a go at me about some of it.......why do you need so much gear? I have a Gold Trap sluice in mind........but might lay off for a bit lol.

Just grabbed a Garrett deluxe kit off Gumtree for only $30 and a Banjo Pan for $35 hehe looking forward to testing the Banjo.

I have a ute full of stuff
the garden shed is full
and now stuff stacked behind that
detectors in the back tv room
and now the melting kit in the third bedroom set up ready to use
so yes i get the same flack as you do :lol: :lol: :lol:

AussieChris said:
I am still in the process of building one, I recommend trying to hunt down a decent deck/bulkhead mounted manual bilge pump, some of the eBay ones are only rated to about 25L/min, would be like cycling in low gear up a big hill. A quick look and you can find 55L/min and higher for not much more. I was able to grab one at a garage sale and off the top of my head it's rated something crazy like 105L/min or 120L/min, it's down in the shed, but I know it's crazy high, only paid $20 for it too hehe.

I probably should finish the thing as I just recently grabbed a deep sided classifier off Gumtree for a song specifically for it. It's basically done, just a couple of welds (a small pain in the ass as I have to borrow a Mig/Tig as mine was pinched) and connecting the plumbing. Mats, moss, expanded for the sluice run all ready to go, just need to find some heavier gauge stuff for the header box. I had not bothered with it for a while as I'm starting to think I collect more gear than gold these days. I had the shits last weekend and told the missus I might as well just put it all out of the front lawn "free to a good home" lol.

Copied John Jacob's build pretty much, I have seen a few builds with a rod straight down the middle to break up the side/side action of the water a little and minimise blow outs, or vanes and even "flippers" http://bedrockorbust.blogspot.com.au/2014/01/more-rocker-box-mods.html

John Jacob's new design https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_VNW2QVIFs&t= video does not want to embed for some reason.

Hey AC
I built a Jacobs inspired rocker, and I also went with 100ltr per minute bilge pump, a mate of mines father, is a boatie and I scored the pump for a great price as well.

I seem to remember mention of the dream mat for rockers, I'm thinking that the extra water flow maybe enough to clear the riffles and break up the side to side action but still looking into it

Cheers

Bazz I had the same idea, so built the box to size. I think I would have a conniption fit cutting that stuff down to try fit it. With a heavy duty pump, cant see why a square of dream mat would not work, that stuff sure loves water but it would only be a small section, this stuff comes in approx 290mmx290mm. Will see how it goes without it first though as you want to be right at $56 a throw.

Yeah I was very lucky with the pump I grabbed from a garage sale, I noticed it in the paper on Sunday morning, they had started Saturday morning, got there to find it still sitting there in the box.

1516146513_1508451469_gold_cube_front_corner_view_800x.jpg