❓Your Mineral Identification Questions answered here

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
goldierocks said:
goldierocks said:
MegsyB007 said:
Hi XIV,
I'm no expert, but I'll have a go at some of these for you to look them up.
The first one looks like malachite (or an unusual black opal with only a green flash), the second one looks like opal potch, don't know the third one (opalised wood maybe?), and the fourth one looks like Amazonite.

Perhaps the experts can confirm or give alternatives?

Cheers,
Megsy
Doubt those IDs but it is impossible to give useful answers to people unless they do some of the hard work first (photos are always inadequate, you also need streak, hardness, SG etc). Do a search on "Series on identifying minerals" under my name.
I wonder if the first one is even natural.

Pete's Pick said:
Interesting suggestion.
Possibly.

It is heavier than quartz but not tin like heavy and it shows no magnetic susceptibility to a rare earth magnet.
flame test for boron?

MegsyB007 said:
Topaz has a MOHS of 8 and Quartz is a 7.

Try scratching the topaz with quartz - one will be scratched and the other (topaz) won't scratch.

I think you may have both there - possibly topaz (first pic) and smoky quartz. Maybe even Cassiterite... That's 6-7 on the MOHS scale.
Hard to tell from just pics, and they're similar colours.

Topaz is also cold when touched to the lips, and has a waxy kind of feel to it.

Keep testing to eliminate or ID them.

Regards,
Megsy
Good reply - hardness is the best identifier with the very hard minerals.

Sorry guys! I don't know why I thought Lefty was from WA - it came from somewhere in my mind, but don't know where I got that from now! Strange!
Apologies Lefty!

Cheers,
Megsy

Hey everyone,
I found a stone when I went walking a few weeks ago in Lamington National Park. I would love your help identifying it.

1548163218_f15ifq5.jpg

1548163269_sqa7erp.jpg

1548163295_sclaj48.jpg

Do you know what it is?

Thanks! :D

triptamean said:

Looks like botryoidal chalcedony

Theduke said:
triptamean said:

Looks like botryoidal chalcedony

Yep, looks like it to me.

How did you go with your Permit Application for the National Park mbasko? It has been awhile since I have heard of your brave venture into NPWS Red Tape... :koala:

LW...

On a local level everything was very positive. They bent over backwards to help with the process & were all for it as the park I was looking at is an old state forest/mining area/timber cutters etc. Not exactly pristine wilderness.
Went thru a lengthy application process for NPWS head office with the local bloke & sat with him as he typed in his recommendation that my application be approved.
It's now been 4-5 months since it was sent off up the line but haven't heard a thing back from them - not even a letter or email acknowledging the application? Guess I was a bit too optimistic about the new process but I'll keep onto them again once it's cooler.

mbasko said:
On a local level everything was very positive. They bent over backwards to help with the process & were all for it as the park I was looking at is an old state forest/mining area/timber cutters etc. Not exactly pristine wilderness.
Went thru a lengthy application process for NPWS head office with the local bloke & sat with him as he typed in his recommendation that my application be approved.
It's now been 4-5 months since it was sent off up the line but haven't heard a thing back from them - not even a letter or email acknowledging the application? Guess I was a bit too optimistic about the new process but I'll keep onto them again once it's cooler.

Keep at them.... Glad you haven't given up, although NPWS was hoping you have :rolleyes: .... Thanks for the Update...

LW.....

Hi , Can anyone tell me what this gem is its very very dark but it is translucent its a brown golden colour thanks
1548475191_20190126_133903.jpg

1548475191_20190126_133905.jpg

1548475192_20190126_133921.jpg

1548475192_img_1458.jpg

1548475192_img_1459.jpg

Looking at the water worn outside, probably going to be something like Garnet, very dark for Sapphire, first do an SG if you have a set of scales, that'll put you on the right track fairly quickly.

Go to the beginning of the thread and look for the 'Sticky' on how to identify by Goldierocks.

It certainly has an unusual shape on the side of it... My guess is the same as Dihusky... Garnet.. could also be a Zircon... Pics alone are sometimes hard to tell tho...

LW....