❓Your Mineral Identification Questions answered here

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Welcome to the forum Mirrors :Y:

Like Heatho says, some closer shots from different angles would assist. Quartz crystals should be hexagonal in cross--section though sometimes one or more sides can be a bit underdeveloped.

Topaz crystals have 4 sides, with a cross section in a diamond shape.

Cheers for the replies and thank you for the welcome.
Yes on closer inspection it has four sides at each point and 6 sides ?
So it's a quartz crystal. Here I was thinking I'd found a diamond on my 3rd time out prospecting .
Wishful thinking ?

Weird rock found in the Tamar River, Tassie.
1536490581_rps20180909_205057.jpg
1536490601_rps20180909_205129.jpg
1536490613_rps20180909_205200.jpg

I thought maybe some kind of agate?

goldierocks said:
Clearly some sort of silicified rock, but lacks the layering of agate.....

Does there look to be some very faint banding along the bottom edge? Or maybe that's just from the stone being split?

Yeah, that's just split along the iron stained outer layer. Silica is pretty common round here.

Lefty said:
goldierocks said:
Clearly some sort of silicified rock, but lacks the layering of agate.....

Does there look to be some very faint banding along the bottom edge? Or maybe that's just from the stone being split?
I think it is where it is split, but it is a bit irrelevant anyway. An agate needs much more banding - looks more like a bit of chert.

Hi 7.62 - I don't want to sound negative but it looks a lot like the pieces of opalescent glass often sold at gem shows :( It's got the same colour, same shape. They saw the stuff into blocks and them tumble it I think to achieve the smoothed-off shape. A mate bought some and cabbed it, it looked nice cabbed but it's fairly fragile and he broke it a couple of times before finally finishing it.

Hopefully I'm wrong and it's some nice moonstone.

I've only handled a few pieces of moonstone but the cleavage planes in all of them were obvious and visible, glass is amorphous and has no cleavage. If you can see lines running through them dead paralel to one another than that would be a good sign at least :Y:

Lefty said:
I've only handled a few pieces of moonstone but the cleavage planes in all of them were obvious and visible, glass is amorphous and has no cleavage. If you can see lines running through them dead paralel to one another than that would be a good sign at least :Y:
I agree - cleavage planes would be most diagnostic and non-destructive.

Shauno (Syndyne) gave me a bag of opal a couple of years back that was colourless, I think from memory he called them honey opal nobbies, they are a type of potch I think but can look attractive when cabbed. Ken, your stones look quite a bit like that stuff to me, they should flouresce mildly under UV light if they are the same stuff I'm talking about.

A suggested though, could be moonstone but doesn't really look 100% like it to me, looks closer to the opal nobbies Shauno gave me.

Latest posts