The Poetry Section

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks reefer it touched a cord as I lost my dad in January he was only 94. Well bone mate

Thanks Reefer , my dad passed away 3 weeks ago . One week he was playing golf , painting the house or fixing something and 3 strokes within a week he was gone.
He was 84 , a good innings but doesnt make it any easier. He used to ring me about what i thought were silly little things but looking back he just wanted to say Hi to me as much as he could. Im already missing those silly phone calls and chance to talk :( . So love your dads and spend every chance you can with them while they are here.

I would like to join with you Reefer in your tribute to your dad if I may this is the poem I wrote for my dad and read at his funeral.

TED
He was only 16 when he went to work
His mom needed help, and he wouldnt shirk
With his crosscut saw and his trusty axe
He was off to the bush,no time to relax

With his country in trouble
He went to war
And fought for us all
On a far away shore

For the rest of his life
This set the trend
A hard working man
On who one could depend

As strait as an arrow
On him you could rely
He would offer his hand
And look straight in your eye

Hed give it a shake
And say Gday
Would you like a beer,
It was just his way

He loved to fish & was fond of a beer
For his much loved tigers he liked to cheer
With his family around him, hes been known to say
What more could a man want
Gee its been a great day

Now his life is over, he is with us no more
Cut down in his prime,he was just 94
So now he has left us, for that we are sad.
But gee i am proud to say he was my dad

Thanks for your indulgence guys

Jim

Thanks Mackka for your thoughts
And to you reefer for sharing your pain and your thread

reynard said:
I would like to join with you Reefer in your tribute to your dad if I may this is the poem I wrote for my dad and read at his funeral.

TED
He was only 16 when he went to work
His mom needed help, and he wouldnt shirk
With his crosscut saw and his trusty axe
He was off to the bush,no time to relax

With his country in trouble
He went to war
And fought for us all
On a far away shore

For the rest of his life
This set the trend
A hard working man
On who one could depend

As strait as an arrow
On him you could rely
He would offer his hand
And look straight in your eye

Hed give it a shake
And say Gday
Would you like a beer,
It was just his way

He loved to fish & was fond of a beer
For his much loved tigers he liked to cheer
With his family around him, hes been known to say
What more could a man want
Gee its been a great day

Now his life is over, he is with us no more
Cut down in his prime,he was just 94
So now he has left us, for that we are sad.
But gee i am proud to say he was my dad

Thanks for your indulgence guys

Jim

Be proud of that poem Jim :Y: a way to celebrate your Dad.

Big thanks to all who have responded to this works, I knew that my Father's death was inevitable, and that one day he would not be here.
And when he did die, I found it was a kind of relief...that he was no longer suffering and that I had been there at his side and fulfilled my duty to him, despite the fact that for 25years we had virtually no contact and what contact there was turned out to be bitter and acrimonious.
Thankfully, the latter 20years of his life ....we were good mates and I learned to love him all over again once more.
As I grow older and enter the twilight of my life, I miss him very much.
So it was against that background I learned a bit about death being a part of life and not something that is somehow separate from it.
My heartfelt sentiments and condolences go out to all those who have lost their Dad.And the poem is dedicated to the memory of all of them. :rainbow: Gawd Bless 'em all! :rainbow:

It is ironic how similar our paths have been in that regard Reefer
Congratulations on your strength
Jim

reynard!..your tribute to your Father was very touching.You did a marvelous job of it and your father lives within you, proud as punch with his lad.Yes , I think 'life' itself is ironic isn't it. We struggle and toil each day to make enough money to pay for our transport in order that we can go do it the next day and so on. We do this so much that in the end we are so worn out we're to old and frail to enjoy life like we should have been doing when we young.

Thanks for your kind comments Reefer, when we get to the end and the pain of life becomes too much death can be a relief.
On your other comments I have always tried to live my life as I want we never know how long we have and I will not die wondering
What may have been. But in saying that sometimes life just gets in the way

My dad went to France and tried to join the French resistance in 1940 on his own back as he spoke fluent French.He liked French girls and had a French girlfriend and lived with her family.He was caught by the Germans and put in jail but escaped by crossing the Alps in winter with German Shepard dogs on his tail.He was a Indiana Jones type character which I sadly did not live up to.He lived life to the fullest and died at 92.He had a hip replacement at 90 because he wanted to go dancing.Men are such special people.

oldtimerROB,Sorry to hear of your loss.My father had both knees replaced at age 85 for exactly the same reason as yours..to go dancing :D :Y:
They were an intrepid Generation our Fathers.Like you I found it difficult to live up to some of the feats of my Father :/
Then one day we were no longer on speaking terms...for 25years.
That's when I resolved to make my own mark on life..in my own way bearing in mind how my Father's influence had shaped the way I thought and the way I acted...(critical analysis, and moral and ethical responsibility.)
It was not long before I began to have success in a wide field of academic, musical, :D literary, trades ...you name it I was into it :p So that when at last we did reconcile, I respected my Father's achievements and abilities and I felt that I got the same in return..if only we had been able to communicate that mutual respect when I was young.So...when I became a Father myself,I always encouraged my children to..(join the conversation,to put forward their opinions and to feel confident that what they said and thought was important and appreciated.)
You could say...I learned a lot from my Father's mistakes ]:D :D ..Don't we all!.hehe ;) Cheers mate!..I'll see yer at the diggins! :cool:

Well written Reefer. I often tell people ( tongue in cheek ), when I was 16 my old man was an absolute d/head and an embarrassment to have around he diddent know jack s..... when I got to 30 I couldnt believe how much HE had learned in 14 years.

Hi Raynard

I think of both my parents every day since they passed. The hurt will eventually go but the memories you have will stay with you for life. Good poem to express feelings. Stay well mate. My thoughts are with you and you family.

Latest posts