The Poetry Section

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
PALMER AND BACK

Cairns airport I landed , Palmer river my destination , visions of days long past fluttered through my mind. GPX in hand and gold my hope .

Rob was the man to meet at the local inn , a burly bloke with an astute grin. We shook hands , the day was young and off to the Noth Palmer and our trip had begun.

A hand shake was all , and our word was what we swapped . Trust was there and nothing else. Rob taught me how to swear the North Queensland way . And with that we made off along the tracks and the causeway.

Scrub bulls and horses made there precence felt , but a nice tent was my stay , and happy to find gold I may.

The Zed and X were our weopons off choice , sun low , Roos out - time to go , Rob shouted out . And with that , away we went , up and down ravines , through woodlands and grassy knolls .....Behold The pouchers had been about. And with that The time had come to head home , back across the Palmer and onto the bitumen road .

Bang what was that rob shouted out , I turned around
Smoke billowing out . The 4x4 was done and off the road we went , Bonnet up the Engine spent.

Before we knew it, quad bikes came across our path . Perhaps it was luck or part of the aftermath.

Word got out that we were stuck . Mount Carbine up the road passed the message from tourists that stopped to help . The sun was low and nature was jumping about . Quads away , help had arrived .

Wait a landcriser blocked our path , out they strode , youve trespassed , your pouches passing by.

Rob stood forward like a man , family behind him , a war of wards broke out , at 20 paces the old timers would off shout .

I stood down to take in the raucous , a gun made known by the other party about. Rob had one the verbal battle , but the war was on and Rob was in it , it was not yet done, his advice was stay calm son your time will come .

In the trenches ... Rob a bloke you would want by your side , your back he would have , that you could count on dont worry about that.

By this time Darkness had made our acquaintance . The cow cocky had turned up . Can you come and have a chat a voice whispered down , and with that my time had come , Rob had the verbal high ground so it was time to go . I volunteered and marched forth , 3 against 5 what could go wrong. A song from a cockoo bird nearby made its throng.

I shook both their hands with command , the third with the gun stayed in their car . Story I told from the time I landed to the end , Rob came up , he had my back , but the tone had changed and the cocky held out his hand , lets move your car to where it will be safe . And with that off we went . On the plane and home I flew , hugged my wife , I said Im through .

Dan

Moaning child why do you decree
that I should do so much for thee
with silence it is that you do ask
For me to do most evry task
knowing not what you must do
and just what the future holds for you
tis not the task I want complete
but knowledge placed before my feet
for all I want to gain from you
is that you know.... just what to do
Silver.... 2018

Two Perspectives.
A butterfly is here so brief
Oh look, it is soo nice
It flutters by on wing so light
It dances through the sky
Alights to gather nectars strength
So pretty on that flower
A frollic through the tree's and leaves
A darting back and fort for sport
To leave its rotten eggs behind
And landing for a rest on leaves
That now I have to search and find...
Look now... a baby caterpillar.

Silver 2018

As the darkness dissolves into light
And the Florence Nightingales stir
My expectations and nervousness abounds
A barouche and halo awaits
My hair shaved like some drunken harvester
Halo fastened to the frame, head completely still
Surgeons commence to cut and drill
No pain do i feel
Electrodes placed and volts introduced
My tremors placated, my rigidity gone
Test my speech and dexterity, with amps they hone
They've hit the mark, his work is done
Now the sleep will come
A tunnel created, the wiring completed
I can never let my battery be depleted
Now the adjustments will come thick and fast
My painful, tremor riddled life is past
My darkness has dissolved to light

Manpa 28/8/2018 My first ever poem.

I knew him all my life
His name was John bit I knew him as Jack
Straight of back, grey of hair, he never had any facial hair
He loved all sports and to watch the news, cryptic crosswords and their crazy clues
Sage advice, conversation and jokes too
A charitable man, religious too, reliable, he did what he said he'd do
Strong of heart and strong of mind, a more loving man you could not find
A family man through and through, it cannot be denied.
He was the apple of my mothers eye, childhood sweethearts for 68 years
I'm sure today we'll shed a few tears as the memories flood back
Happy Fathers Day, Jack

2/9/18 Glenn

WOW!..MAN..was that your PA! :playful: ...Lovely words mate...So sad that we all must...fade away...like a long summer's day.To be just a beloved memory in the mind and hearts of those who loved us and for whom we lived and loved.I often think of my Dad and my old Pop...let's raise a glass and drink to their memory...those one's we loved. :cool: Well done mate...well done.

Thanks Reefer, got a long way to go to put a poem together as well as you and Silver.

I find myself awake at night sometimes with thoughts running through my head but by the time I wake most of oi has disappeared into the ether, might have to try the old trick of a notepad by the bed.

Thanks for the encouragement.
Cheers
Glenn

I've had untold poems slip away in their making.... simply because they are what they are when they are, and.... with my memory attributes at zero there is no chance of recall, and if I were to try the words are never the same. I know I could just use a voice recorder and then transcribe at a more opportune time.... but ohhh the bother and the worry of the never getting done.... transcription left as folly.... the writing never done :eek:

In the mirrors reflection
On closer inspection
Hair of grey, beard to match
Eyebrows growing thin
Ears and nose to trim
Teeth fill my mouth, when in.
Scarred, pale skin
Stomach, fat not thin
Crown Jewels a little jaded
Gravity has overtaken
My flow is weak
Legs, groan and creak
Eyes that are strong
Glasses make sure they're not wrong
Am I dreaming,is this me I'm seeing?

Last nights effort as best I recall
Manpa 4/9/18

This is something I knocked up about 25 years ago:

A Woman is a Funny Bloke

A woman is a funny bloke, thats something I have learned.

She gives you love or gives you strife, when neither has been earned.

Shes going up on your way down and arrives just as you leave.

And the one time youre not genuine, she chooses to believe.

Youre walking out as she walks in, the door is always swinging.

She wants to talk so serious just when you feel like singing.

To ignore her when shes reaching out, can only bring you pain.

And when you try to understand, youre treated with disdain.

Over the years Ive known a few and not known one at all,

And I think they like to build you up so the further you can fall.

To be sure its safe to go inside, you toss in your hat to check;

Cos the only time youre in the loop, is when its round your neck.

And even on the calmest night, they sure can raise a gale.

A woman is a funny bloke, thats why Im glad Im male.

Yes, a woman is a funny bloke, by God, Im glad Im male.

Fnx50!....Very well done! :Y: And VERY TRUE INDEED!. :cool: I am working on one right now...fleeting memories of the great Northern Rivers...as I flashed past them all at 100+K's an hour...as you do nowadays..not like it used to be in the old days...it's not one that I'm finding easy but when yer gotta write...yer gotta... right!

This one is about my grandfather and his brother as told to me by my uncle.

Second World War was upon us , the threat from the north real . Down they came , Port Morsby in sight .... the militia was sent ... it was a now a very big deal .

Up the Owen Stanleys my grandfather trudged, SLR in hand and his mates resolute . Contact made , Head on they went , outgunned and outmanned , But held the line they did. The Japanese were astute and sent
Wave after wave and forward they came , but the militia hung in and dug in , the front line became thin.

Bayonet and knife became your kin . For at dusk hell would come , the jungle so thick and dark the enemy would sneak in . Your bayonet thrust forward and up , knife slash left to right , your hand over his mouth , once again the lines were cleaned out that night.

Grandfathers brother based in Malaysia , was court marshalled the documents say. 3 days awol enjoying the sites of Kuala Lumpur. Off he got Scott free , a well respected soldier or scallywag, but every man was needed you see. from Sepang to home he went that very day , if only he knew what lay ahead , the dead and the dying , and the dread.

Grandfather still in the Owen Stanleys , the battle was now a fighting retreat , morale low , and word had set in that their fellow countrymen were ashamed of their dig.

Down my grandfather came and up my great uncle went , perhaps a moment was had between them , I wonder what would of been said.

My grandfather came home with shell shock and lived in bush camps as a rabbit trapper. My great uncle came home with a medal , bronze in colour I believe . One was seen as a hero and the other never never wanted to be seen .

Dan

Latest posts