Can someome identify this for me.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
1515917207__20180114_183314.jpg

I flund this on my way home today alomg the beach wondering what it is?

1515919261__20180114_190944.jpg

1515919276__20180114_190547.jpg

Looks like obsidian to me judging from this picture. Is it really glassy looking in real life and feels like glass? Also does it have lines like this?
1515917756_obsidian.jpg

Yeah theres a few more photos up there now some i have a picture effect on it for contrast an brightness an the middle one is normal

It doesn't seem to be obsidian as it isn't a lustrous as it.

What general area did you find it in?

Yeah it does feel heavish for its size an yeah looks glassy as well as an yeah glassy rock kinda feels like.

In regards to my 2nd post; just thought that the sand would wear away the lines and luster.
It's either igneous rock or slag.

I think it's obsidian or slag. - Jack :)

Near a salt river called port river next to a clay mining place on the beach kinda area just laying there next to like three or four other rocks they werent the same just ordinary ones

Okay yeah that was my first thought black obsidian but then i kinda second guessed it. So now im not sure.

Whats some tests to do i tried the magnet incass it was slag an i sanded it down on one side to see if that wpuld cjange amhthing but nothing much changed execpt the glassy looking thin coat came off i think
1515920542__20180114_193211.jpg
thats one side sanded down

RedDirtDigger said:
Hi Jaxon, I am almost 100% sure your find is a man made piece of glass rich industrial slag from a furnace. The conchoidal fracture it exhibits (silica rich), the botryoidal features (bubble protrusions) and presence of small vesicles (gas bubbles) are in combination...diagnostic for slag.
cheers RDD

My thoughts exactly. :Y:

Thanks Rdd

m gonna take it today to a lapidary club wil let u all know what this is ahah

Latest posts