First metal detector

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey guys first post for me
Im looking at purchasing 2 gold dectectors for me and my partner as we are doing a trip of travelling through nsw vic and tassy.
Im thinking two different dectector that are also similar to use so we can both easily learn to use both of them at the same time.

Id like coils that are interchangeable between them.
Im thinking potential a gold bug 2 and a goldbug pro.
Budget is around $1800.
Any advice is appreciated cheers

Welcome to the forum
the guys with all the knowledge of them will get back to you
1515743590_43.jpg

Welcome to GPA. It might be worth trying to get a couple of Whites. I had a GMT for my first gold detector and although it was a little chattery I really liked it. It picked up minute pieces of gold and you can get different coils for it. Good luck Rick

Questions:

Are you planning this trip specifically to look for gold?

Do you have any prior experience metal detecting?

How long will your trip be, and will you sell the metal detectors once the trip is over?

Is $1800 the budget for both machines?

If you're serious about chasing nuggets I would suggest a Minelab with Pulse Induction, but with a budget of $1800 you would only be able to afford one second hand machine, maybe a GP3000 or GP3500. The Minelab GP series have a wide variety of interchangeable coils.

The Minelab SDC2300 is beginner friendly but even second hand they are around $3000 and fixed coil size.

You could always spend your $1800 on hiring machines, training days or gold tours, or some combination of.

Hi josh. The GB2 runs at 71 kHz and the GB/pro runs at 19, so the coils aren't interchangeable. The GB pro,Teknetics G2, GB(original) Fisher F5,F19 coils are interchangeable. Of the LF detectors the GB2 & Whites GMT E-series(@48kHz)(or earlier black Goldmasters[@50kHz]) are the choice. Coils are interchangeable between the black Goldmasters, with the earlier ones having 10x5 concentric coils and the E-series being DD. There is also a 6"round available now and an older 14x9(?)"Sierra"coil.
There are Chinese clones of the GBpro(called TX850) on Ebay for $279. I will take a risk on one when I can afford it.
None of these machines are "turn on and go" machines, and ground balancing will be your most critical adjustment. The VSAT(variable self-adjusting threshold) of the E-series makes it deadly on nearly all ground if adjusted correctly. The GBpro/clone and the GMT E-series have black sand indicators, which will "keep you on the paystreak" when searching. As does the Makro Racer(56kHz) and the Teknetics T2 (Chinese GF2).
As a comparison, a 19kHz detector will go deeper than a 71kHz, but will miss the smallest stuff.

My suggestion would be two second-hand GMT's with the standard 10x5DD coils, however the concentric(early) coils are said to go a bit deeper in mild ground.

I will leave it to others here to espouse the qualities of the GP/SD series Minelabs, which are Pulse induction, generally punching deeper.

Thanks for the friendly welcome everyone.
We plan to travel for 12 months at least but its definitely not a dedicated fossicking trip and I've never tried to detect for gold but ive found dust while panning in a few creeks.
Unfortunately my total budget for both is 1800.

I should add i want the unit to be able to be packed up and put in a back pack as i plan to detect on some hikes in areas that im allowed to of course.
Do many people do huge hike just to detect virgin gound? Because i think thats my best bet as my guess is all the common areas have had the best machines waved over them.
I will get researching on all the suggested machines. Thanks people.

Find a Minelab Pi SDC 2200, GP 3500, for the $$$$you have, stay away from VLF,been there done that.Minelab Pi are the way to go.Cheers

I agree with Tim, those are great machines with a proven track record and they will allow you to stay within your budget,

When you start to make good finds and understand the principals of detecting you can then worry about more expensive machines, Good luck and happy hunting.

J.

For the parameters, especially for just starting out, I'd look at a pair of minelab 705 x-terra's dual pack & see if you can swap out 2 of the coils so you get 4 different ones, they will be ok for gold but great for beach's, coin seeking & general poking around for stuff, they break down for packs or can be strapped to the outside, there about the $770 mark each so you can also get some "accessories" you will need, easier enough to use but with enough settings that you can learn heaps & there light as well.

Joshlv said:
Hey guys first post for me
Im looking at purchasing 2 gold dectectors for me and my partner as we are doing a trip of travelling through nsw vic and tassy.
Im thinking two different dectector that are also similar to use so we can both easily learn to use both of them at the same time.

Id like coils that are interchangeable between them.
Im thinking potential a gold bug 2 and a goldbug pro.
Budget is around $1800.
Any advice is appreciated cheers

I wouldn't recommend a Gold Bug 2 to a beginner.

However you could pick up a couple of Makro Gold Racers in your budget.

These are easy detectors to learn and have enough features that you won't outgrow it in a hurry.

Latest posts