Gemorama 2018..

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wont be there either lonewolf. I drowned my car in a creek. Insurance wrote it off. They wont repair salt water damaged cars. Now i have to wait for anouther 4wd. I hope it all works out for you and mrs wolf.

LW, I truely hope your missus gets plenty of relief after her op.

I too won't be going to Gemorama this year.
As you may have read on the forum, my missus and I have recently gone our separate ways.
I have just this week moved into a new place of my own and am trying to get settled.

Texta, sorry to hear about your mum.
I know what a stressful time it is for you and your family at the moment.
My sympathy and prayers, mate.
Dave.

yes would like to know too . i wanted to go but it just was not meant to be .however the wife and i do need to get out for 2 days and 1 night camp very soon to save whats left of our sanity .tossing a few ideas around right now .
john

Time-out for both of you Johno is just what you need... :Y:

I heard that numbers were low, but that's to be expected at this time of year...

But the Field Trips were great with lots of Goodies found and Everyone had a good time...

Now the planning starts for Next Year... :p

LW....

Had an awesome weekend, but I think the numbers were disappointing for Rob and all the work he had put in, a lot of people let him down.

Apart from a tailgaiter who I don't believe even set up their merchandise, we were first there on Saturday, slowly people arrived until we had an intimate group and headed to the Silver Mine, a fascinating look at history and a few lumbered back up hill with heavy loads. Saturday night was fun, great food though Dinah wished the Pork Crackling had crackled! A woman of great taste a passion when it comes to Crackling as is our daughter... funny about genes!!!

Sunday we stayed at our base came at Bullock Mountain Homestead as we had found some interesting patches that showed potential, the rest went to 3 Waters and had some good finds. We also found some nice colour upto a 6.5ct bomb with potential for cabbing plus kilos of material to go through at home as the light failed us.
1528804889_redistone-creek-10-6-18.jpg

The Redistone blue in the centre is 1.15ct

Monday, second on site this time. The intimate group slowly built with a few newcomers and off we went to the copper mine, fascinating and had some great finds in the old mines higher up the hill, heaps of tourmaline with some big chunks plus some nice quartz for the avid digger, scored some beautiful smoky and a lovely tourmilated citrine.
1528804945_tormilated_citrine_85.45ct.jpg

85.45ct, it is a lot clearer than it looks in the pic, not sure how I am going to approach it yet.

For those who attended I think it was a great weekend and full marks to Rob for his hard work. As a observation it was probably lucky the numbers were few as some of the sites are hard to get to, plus strictly 4x4 and parking is almost non existent so larger numbers would have been a serious problem, particularly at the copper mine. Something to consider for next year.

Rigby also had a great time but hit overload so retreated to the car on a number of occasions. And to cap the whole weekend one of the Molly, one of the Border Collies where we were staying, had a litter of 6 gorgeous pups on Sunday morning, truly memorable.

Finally, a big thanks Rob, very glad we were there.

Good old 'Heart-break hill'. :/ .. Bet those who had full buckets took some things out 1/2 way up that hill... Lol... Bob/Rob and I have done that hill many times and it doesn't get any easier... And with scouting new areas around the Silver Mine, things might be harder next year too... ;)

Glad those that were able to go had fun.... It's not easy finding new places to go that aren't 4x4 now days. Some spots I know are hard to get too.. All good as Next year will be better and with more funding Things will only get better...

But if People keep doing the WRONG thing around Emmaville/ Torrington area then that makes it sooo much harder to find good spots ... :N:

And an added bonus of Puppies... :Y:
And a Missus with No back pain is worth not going.. :) . Well sort of anyhow... :rainbow:

LW....

That's wonderful news about your wife, hopefully things will improve in time.

As you say people doing the wrong thing is becoming a serious problem, we saw evidence of this in the Copper Mine, someone has been in there with jack hammers and ladders, clothing and dust masks left outside, punched a lot of material out of the walls and ceiling and opened out the crystal cavern half way into the mine. Makes one feel like walking in at night while they are working and chucking in a stick of fracture! :mad: :mad:

Need to find some infra-red cameras with long distance transmitters so areas can be remotely monitored, plus makes no difference if they try and remove the cameras, it's too late as all the evidence has been transmitted, then follow up with some very public prosecutions. A system like this would also help the farmers to catch the fence jumpers!

Well at least She can walk ATM... only time will tell... Fingers Crossed....

Spot on there Dihusky about the Mine and I am Soooo Pi#$ed Off... I know exactly Who this Fellow is and he was spotted out in a different area on Monday, with a Bobcat and Truck clearing a new area to dig a massive hole... All Details have been passed on to the Authorities.... Not hard to find some of his stuff on Fleabay... And sold through an Interstate Dealer... :mad:
He also sells to International Dealers as well... :mad: Wish I had some of that Clothing.... ;)

All those Drill holes are new holes(last 2yrs), looking for Vughs(crystal Pockets), And as you have seen he has found some... and the Drive on the left side has been Extended about 20m. All with Jack-hammers into solid rock.. Not too sure what he was getting there (Peacock Ore perhaps), as he has tarps down and leaves No Evidence... But he wasn't as neat when he ripped out the Ceiling where the Copper Ore was...
He has made Big $$$$ out of the whole Area and needs to be stoped. :mad: .. NPWS are watching and waiting for Evidence to Close the place down to Fossickers....

This is what it did look like... Hard to see but there WAS a lot of Pyrite in there and WAS a fine Example of what a Copper mine Looked like inside...
1528876047_702465_s.jpg

1528876105_jw4.jpg

LW.... :mad:

True Ray... Funny thing is Most of the illegal mining takes place in broad Daylight and right under your nose... There are some People who thumb their nose at the law and will do what they want, whenever to whoever they feel like... One Reason MR Tumbles closed down , cause some clown snuck in to her Property with a Bulldozer and ripped hell out of Her place and stole lots of crystals... Which happen to be for sale on ebay.... Funny that .... :mad:

LW.....

What I find interesting is many of the locals know who is doing much of the damage but they fail to realise what the community impact is.

In somewhere like Emmaville and many other small towns, the local community benefits from Fossickers coming to town and accessing the local gem fields, they bring cash into the area, meals and drinks at the pubs, supplies from the local shops etc, but if these Gem areas get shut down to law abiding fossickers the area will suffer. Mr Tumbles was a terrific little shop and has now closed as you mentioned, there goes a business which brings money into the community, what is worse, many in the area know who did the damage on the property but nothing is done.

If the locals don't start stepping up to the plate there will be no more fossicking and they will suffer.

That is a good way to describe what is happening there... Im starting to feel that the 'Locals' aren't interested in the $$ spent by Fossickers or Fossickers themselves. And the Attitude of Locals (except a few) is beyond belief...

NPWS have in their Management plan for Torrington/Emmaville, a plan to watch and see the impact of Fossicking in the Area.. If this keeps happening, And they see the impact of what these clowns are doing, Then im afraid they will simply close one of the Best Fossicking areas in Australia For Ever.... We need more Rangers who have a passion for the Area to step up and start taking action, instead of just shrugging their shoulders and shaking their heads....

Mirror Men, as they keep saying 'We will look into this'... I have never heard of Anyone being spoken too about their Illegal Activities... Except the Pot Growers and the cops deal with them...

LW....

Sorry you could not make it Lonewolf. Hope your Missus has a full recovery.

Dihusky glad you had a great time. It was nice to meet you.

Everyone had a great time on the field trips.

Bob is in planning mode for next year. Sadly I will not be able to make it as will be in FNQld.

BTW Mr Tumbles sale fell through so the shop still opens but only on weekends.

jimnyjerry said:
Sorry you could not make it Lonewolf. Hope your Missus has a full recovery.

Dihusky glad you had a great time. It was nice to meet you.

Everyone had a great time on the field trips.

Bob is in planning mode for next year. Sadly I will not be able to make it as will be in FNQld.

BTW Mr Tumbles sale fell through so the shop still opens but only on weekends.

Thanks Jerry, yes really pleased we were there, learnt a bit more about the history of the area and brought home some nice bits and pieces which was a bonus, still got to go through a 5kg tub of blacks we scooped up!

Great meeting you and thank you for your knowledgeable input :Y: , hopefully we will meet again in this wide brown land and be able to enjoy a beer under the stars.

Latest posts