You are not logged in.

• Register to access all forum features  

Martyz
30 March 2019 08:59 pm

Another beautiful stone brought to life Dihusky. Cheers mate.
... and Lefty that zircon is pretty special. Fantastic colour that works perfectly with that cut.
Martyz

Dihusky
30 March 2019 09:41 pm

Popped to the kitchen for a drink and was greeted by this yikes when I came back for more cutting. On fire under the work light inlove 1553942456_padparadscha-fire.jpg

7 users like this post: Rockhunter62, silver, Lefty, Mackka, Billy, MegsyB007, Chiron52

Prooz
31 March 2019 12:53 pm

I have been watching this part of the forum with increased interest, after cutting my first two stones under supervision from a mate.
I have bean learning on a Hall machine, I think from memory a Hall 2000 Deluxe, and finding it pretty interesting and lots to learn.

I have an offer tomorrow to go and have a look at a used Hall machine, not sure of the model and know it would not have been used for a very long time.

I am a hands on person and mechanically minded is there anything in particular that I should be looking at on a used machine apart from the obvious.

Cheers for any kind of help for a newbie. Peter

Minelab Explorer SE. Minelab GPZ 7000 Equinox 800

1 user likes this post: Rockhunter62

Dihusky
31 March 2019 03:12 pm

Welcome Prooz, my wife and I both have Hall machines, I use a 2000 and once 'tuned in' it's an awesome machine, my wife has an Xtra which is good but not brilliant on the ergonomics, particularly if you have to wear glasses. Both machines have the capacity to produce competition winning stones. In last year's AFG comp a novice scored something like 97/100 for one of her stones and she used a Hall Xtra.

So what to look for:
1. Play in the quill bearings, both laterally and longitudinally.
2. Main spindle bearings, leaking oil and noise, noise is a give away, they should purr. Very easy to replace
3. Bent master lap. Put a dop in the quill, set it on the master lap and zero the gauge, now slowly rotate the master lap. The Dial should not move off zero, if it does you will either need the master re-machined or a new one made. If the master is out/bent you will never be able to cut an accurate stone.
4. If the lap is true, set the quill close to the perimeter of the lap directly above one of the adjusting nuts, there are 3 sitting under the bowl. These are used for lap alignment. With your first position zero the dial, now lift the dop and move the mast base so the dop sits above each of the other nuts and see how much variation there is in the readings. DON'T touch the mast adjuster, all you want to do is move the quill and mast position.
5. The hardest thing to tell is if you have a bent mast, you need a workshop to test this.

Other than those checks there are the obvious like general condition etc. Worth taking a straight edge so you can check hollowing on the polishing laps if there are any with the package, this will tell you a lot about the user, I dress mine regularly to keep them flat, too much hollowing and I'm fighting to keep a stone and the meets accurate.

In general if you have some mechanical 'know how', machines are relatively straight forward to service, bearings are readily available and some common sense goes a long way.

Good luck with your search.

5 users like this post: RM Outback, Prooz, LoneWolf, pagan prospector, Gilly47

Prooz
31 March 2019 06:26 pm

THANK YOU, very much Dihusky for your reply and hints on what to look for. I thought your machine must have been a Hall looking at the mast adjuster in your photo.
Hope to see this machine in the morning we haven't talked about price yet, not even sure how old it is. If it does need work and the price is ok, I am capable to be able to do the work myself, I'll post the out come.

Once again thank you

Cheers

3 users like this post: Mackka, Dihusky, LoneWolf

Dihusky
31 March 2019 08:41 pm

Prooz wrote:

THANK YOU, very much Dihusky for your reply and hints on what to look for. I thought your machine must have been a Hall looking at the mast adjuster in your photo.
Hope to see this machine in the morning we haven't talked about price yet, not even sure how old it is. If it does need work and the price is ok, I am capable to be able to do the work myself, I'll post the out come.

Once again thank you

Cheers

Let us know how you go and take some pics

Prooz
02 April 2019 09:42 am

Let the learning begin, got myself a faceting machine, it is a Hall, I think it is in very good working order. Dihusky I did what you said and checked the run out on the master lap with a dial gauge, the gauge didn't move off zero. Will do the other test as well.
It's a Hall machine an older model without the dial gauge but has a light to indicate the bottom of cut, I have a dial gauge that I will fit to it before I try doing my first cut.

The machine came with....
Full set of dops
5 laps
Two loops
Little gadgets for picking up stones
Two little wick burners for doping wax
Assorted little jars of stones
And a saw, But the saw needs a bit of electrical tidy up before I would be game to turn it on. Home made saw.

The faceting machine it self runs very smooth and quite. Will have to get my mate to go through the containers of stones and to go through the laps with me.
I could be going out to Mount Surprise some time this week so will take all that along with me.

Will get some pics soon. Cheers pro oz.

4 users like this post: Wally69, Rockhunter62, LoneWolf, Mackka

Rockhunter62
02 April 2019 10:16 am

Guess we won't see you back out at Western Creek now Pete. You'll be out chasing shinny stones now for your new hobby. Next thing you will be making the rings and settings out of gold to put your cut stones into. gemstone

Have fun with your new hobby. thumbsup

Cheers

Doug and Carol

Forest Gump once said "life is like a detector going beep, you don't know what it is till you dig it up"

Prooz
02 April 2019 11:19 am

Cheers Doug, I will be out at Western Creek May/June just waiting for it to cool down. My mate has always said he would teach me how to facet just something else to do in retirement on a rainy day. I still like to detect have been hitting the parks and playing fields pretty hard and doing pretty well just going for pocket money and to pay for my new toy.
Still can't keep away from the spanners, going out to Mount Surprise to put the Diff back into the mates loader that we pulled out before Christmas, so plenty to do.

What about you what are you up to? are we going to see you back at WC?

Cheers Peter.

Dihusky
02 April 2019 05:44 pm

Prooz wrote:

Let the learning begin, got myself a faceting machine, it is a Hall, I think it is in very good working order. Dihusky I did what you said and checked the run out on the master lap with a dial gauge, the gauge didn't move off zero. Will do the other test as well.
It's a Hall machine an older model without the dial gauge but has a light to indicate the bottom of cut, I have a dial gauge that I will fit to it before I try doing my first cut.

The machine came with....
Full set of dops
5 laps
Two loops
Little gadgets for picking up stones
Two little wick burners for doping wax
Assorted little jars of stones
And a saw, But the saw needs a bit of electrical tidy up before I would be game to turn it on. Home made saw.

The faceting machine it self runs very smooth and quite. Will have to get my mate to go through the containers of stones and to go through the laps with me.
I could be going out to Mount Surprise some time this week so will take all that along with me.

Will get some pics soon. Cheers pro oz.

Sounds like a nice package, this might help you identify what model it is: http://www.turbofast.com.au/astrotel/faceting.html

So what are the laps? If one of the loups is a Belomo, you're on a winner, they're the best.

Now you need to get John Broadfoot's book "Cutting Gemstones A beginners guide to faceting' you'll find it a excellent resource.

Prooz
02 April 2019 07:54 pm

The mark five is the only one similar the way the post is fixed Mine is older still I think. I fitted a dial gauge to day a bit of mucking around.
will post a pic when I can.

Cheers

silver
19 April 2019 08:33 am

Hey Lefty... tamelean (young newbie), has a question for you here mate.
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com.au … 62#p484462

What a great day ! ,... " I'll see you in the field ".

Lefty
19 April 2019 06:58 pm

silver wrote:

Hey Lefty... tamelean (young newbie), has a question for you here mate.
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com.au … 62#p484462

Thanks silver thumbsup

1 user likes this post: silver

Contact Us - Privacy Policy - Terms Of Service

View Desktop Site