Stones I have cut

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pat Hogen said:
Very nice work, and look at the quality of that topaz.

I imagine that is a copyright design, never to be published without a payment in your favourite brew. ;)

LOL, stop giving me ideas Pat :lol:

Mackka said:
:beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :coffee: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :playful:

Now that's a real good idea Mackka! :lol: :cool: :Y:

Honey citrine in Voltolini's "Hanami". Excuse my hairy fingers in the photo :D

1542690612_46644888_275506759974408_1084757989912477696_n.jpg

1542690633_46452200_275506823307735_539524686392852480_n.jpg

That's why I followed it up with the photo on the bark, looks better than my hairy knuckles :lol:

So I need to either shave or find someone to use as a hand model :cool:

A couple of seconds on a 600 lap should do the trick :lol: crimson is a good contrast colour :playful:

The bark background looks great. I am starting to run out of flower varieties, so graduated to a bit of bark today as well. :D my fingers dont work as a backdrop either. :8

I tried one on a bromeliad flower earlier - got hundreds of the things of all varieties growing semi-wild here - and I liked the overall effect but the stone is so bright that it can be hard to show the soft pink colour. I guess a fire engine red brom flower probably isn't the best thing for it to contrast with.

Someone sent Me a PM, Your 'Inbox' is full and I can't reply... ;)

Another Quality cut there Lefty... :eek: :Y:

I was reading something about searching for Opals at night with a UV light.. At the bottom of the page they said 'If you do fall down a shaft, put your arms and legs out and that will stop you having a big impact at the bottom... :awful:
Now who would think of that as you are falling... Not Me that's for sure... :rolleyes:

LW....

A 16.65 carat Mount Surprise topaz in a modified version of Voltilini's "Superstarfish Dome 80". The modification was made in order to get in underneath a pesky inclusion that turned out a bit worse than it had looked at first. It ended up producing an interesting feature which isn't visible when fully polished but which would stand out left frosted, which I might do if I do it in a stone that belongs to me.

1543175799_46791005_278188713039546_4172925954902982656_n.jpg

Not so sure about the backdrops fellas. Now this is an opinion only, not a criticism, but I remember my father telling me that do not let the backdrop take away the intention of the subject. He was a photographer with his own studio when he was in his twenties.
What this means is people tend to study aspects of the backdrop and mentally drift from the subject of the photo, in this case it is our stones that we are presenting.

Very recently purchased a Nikon D5200 and a 105 mm micro/macro lens. Now the fun begins! (so much to learn about this camera, getting mental indigestion)

Pat Hogen said:
Not so sure about the backdrops fellas. Now this is an opinion only, not a criticism, but I remember my father telling me that do not let the backdrop take away the intention of the subject. He was a photographer with his own studio when he was in his twenties.
What this means is people tend to study aspects of the backdrop and mentally drift from the subject of the photo, in this case it is our stones that we are presenting.

Very recently purchased a Nikon D5200 and a 105 mm micro/macro lens. Now the fun begins! (so much to learn about this camera, getting mental indigestion)

Congratulations- you are one major step ahead of me :cool:

..........I started using my backdrops to get the autofocus camera to get a focus lock, at first I removed them once I had a focus lock but found I got a better outcome by leaving them in. Even then, in my mind, all my stones photos are pixilated due to zooming and slightly out of focus.

I agree that some are overwhelming and care needs to be taken with the selection, scale and placement. Whilst I am learning a lot about gem photography, it will not be until I can upgrade to a decent camera and macro lense that I will be able to capture the full glory a stone by itself.

I recently built a mini light box to try and get the black spinel by itself..... :argh: .....I failed :lol: :playful: :lol:

1543180356_daceaf79-73be-47e9-b7b4-a88f8c301da5.jpg

Cheers guys, lady was happy with it :Y: She originally wanted a pendant, which is partly why I made it 5 sided so 1 point could face upward (and it was roughly pentagonal in the rough anyway). But now she wants it in a ring - it's gonna be a knuckle-duster and a half!!

Wally69 said:
Pat Hogen said:

Congratulations- you are one major step ahead of me :cool:

..........I started using my backdrops to get the autofocus camera to get a focus lock, at first I removed them once I had a focus lock but found I got a better outcome by leaving them in. Even then, in my mind, all my stones photos are pixilated due to zooming and slightly out of focus.

I agree that some are overwhelming and care needs to be taken with the selection, scale and placement. Whilst I am learning a lot about gem photography, it will not be until I can upgrade to a decent camera and macro lense that I will be able to capture the full glory a stone by itself.

I recently built a mini light box to try and get the black spinel by itself..... :argh: .....I failed :lol: :playful: :lol:

https://www.prospectingaustralia.co...0356_daceaf79-73be-47e9-b7b4-a88f8c301da5.jpg

I was just sabotaged by the camera today :mad: Got a message from someone who was looking for a green stone. I have a deep green sapphire here but the camera sees it as aqua-blue no matter what I do. When she saw the photo - despite expanation of the true colour - she lost interest. :(

Latest posts