Stones I have cut

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A nice little 1.35 carat topaz, found by Gemhunter along the Derwent river in Hobart. Was only a small piece of rough but very clean.

1541194632_45108676_10155905764310959_680929956263362560_o.jpg

Cheers Mackka :Y: There was actually an element of "make it up as I went along" here. The pavilion is an existing design but I had to improvise on the crown - and it's didn't hurt at all!

Young Gemhunter found it on a Hobart beach. He was telling me that he was itching to get out there and find some more - then he came off a motorbike and broke his leg and won't be going fossicking for quite a while.

We wish him a speedy recovery - and hope he stays away from motorbikes, or at least doesn't fall off them :cool:

Came out beautiful! Nice improvisation! You'll have to come up with a name for that one!

The Derwent river, know it well,

Use to catch trout , sea runners out around Claremont,

And Bridgewater,

Never through about looking for Topaz's,

Seen a lot of nice stones around there, never new that they was worth any money, so just let them there on the water edges,

Goody :)

Cheers guys :)

How much would you sell that sparkler for?

Off the top of my head I'm not sure Jaros - be nothing like the price of a sapphire obviously. It belongs to Gemhunter, he might be willing to part with it if you were after it. I think he's still an active member of this forum, just laid up currently with his leg in plaster.

My mate just messaged me about half an hour ago, he's just received a topaz for me to cut - 70 carats! Gonna be some hours at the machine with that one!

goody2shoes said:
The Derwent river, know it well,

Use to catch trout , sea runners out around Claremont,

And Bridgewater,

Never through about looking for Topaz's,

Seen a lot of nice stones around there, never new that they was worth any money, so just let them there on the water edges,

Gemhunter has plenty of agate collected from there. The geology around there looks promising, lots of igneous ground both intrusive and eruptive volcanics. I'd be combing the river gravel banks and creeks and gullies if I lived there, that's for sure!

I don't live there anymore, Lefty

Moved to where it is Warner,

Lived at Tasmania most of my life

There a lots of old mines around a place where I grew up,

Most of the locals did not even no they was there,

My brothers and I came across them one day when we was kids, hunting for Rabbits,

Told our mum about them, she did not no that they was there,

Just told us to stay away from them, but kids being kids we never listen to her,

Will go back one day with the detector,

What area were you in Goody? We moved to Tassie last year (up in the north ) and I'm loving all the abandoned mines to explore and rocks to collect!

Nearly fell in abandoned shaft. 7 seconds drop with a rock. West coast has so many unmarked ones. Be safe out there

That is stunning Lefty! I love seeing the pics of your work - it's sensational. More please! :clap:

Latest posts