Stones I have cut

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Actually still sore after trying to start my main genny when we had a planned power outage a week ago or so. Tried too hard to get it going. Had a 800W genny and it started first pull. My fault. I am pretty sure it's muscular and spoke to the clinical nurse today and we will check all the wiring in my back in a cuppla weeks. Thanks for asking Manpa. I am taking a couple of Temgesic tabs a day but doesn't seem to help much. Tried a couple of beers today to see if it would help but it just made me a bit dizzy.

lucaswilliam said:
Sent them down to a gemologist to try get an I'd hopfiully get an answer soon

Good stuff mate :Y:

If I had found them I would have gone out of my mind by now wanting to know what they are :D

Hartz Range garnet, 5 carats. This stone was lighter in saturation than such garnets often are, with slight pinkish tinges. Was a really nice piece of rough, excellent shape and virtually flawless.

1540585379_43604367_10155895410615959_1198104401646977024_n.jpg

Cheers Mackka :Y:

The garnets I've been faceting of late have all been very nice but many of them were not Aussie, they were mainly from Africa. This stone is as ridgy-didge as vegemite :cool:

Now somebody will probably point out that vegemite is US-owned :D

Lefty said:

The garnets I've been faceting of late have all been very nice but many of them were not Aussie, they were mainly from Africa. This stone is as ridgy-didge as vegemite :cool:

Very nice stone there Lefty. :Y:

What sort of African garnet are you cutting?

1540617867_img_0333.jpg

1540617868_img_0334.jpg
I finally got a couple of leftys stones set. Very happy with how they turned out, large stone is prehnite from wave hill and the other is garnet and zircon from harts range. Lefty cut the garnet and the zircon came from the gem tree shop.

Very nice there Shep! :inlove:

The garnet-zircon combination works beautifully there!

And the prehenite was a real surprise, with the amount of brightness the stone showed despite the fact that it is translucent rather 100% transparent - it sort of glows. The fact that it has a higher than expected refractive index - similar to topaz - probably goes a fair way towards explaining it.

I never get tired of seeing them go to their final home in a nice setting :)

Cheers

Cheers MM and Firepanther :Y: There really are some very nice garnets to be found at Hartz range.

MM, not sure exactly, the supplier mentioned they were African-sourced but I don't know more than that. They weren't marked as Malai so I'm not too sure other than to say they were high-quality natural stones - no visible inclusions, under 20x could just see the little sparkly crystals (rutile I think) criss-crossing one another in three directions.

Some of them have been Fullarton river stones but that was a while back, I think this is the first Hartz range stone I posted here (don't think I took any photos of the ones I cut for Shep).

Lefty said:

Nope, Vegemite is back in Australian hands, owned by Bega Cheese. :D

Latest posts