A look through my opal mine

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Rodney great video I would need a map and compass to find my way around and a cut lunch and a waterbag when i still got lost. Hope you are doing ok you sure put in the work for it all the best for 2018
Dave

I think I saw a piece in the wall back a bit.... 8) ]:D ... Would make a great House when you are done Mining.. :lol:

Where abouts is your Mine?... I know a few Miners out at the Ridge... :)

LW....

Nice, very interesting! I haven't made it to LR myself but maybe one day. I met an old friend in the pub one day who was in love with it. I know another who sold up and moved out there - and moved back very quickly. I got the impression it is a ruff town when you live there, and you need to be ruff to make it.

Hope you continue to do well!

Jaros I have been getting a little bit here and there some real nice stones amongst them just not enough I will give it another month also if things dont improve I will head to another claim. LW I live at sheepyards and only mine the seam country out here.

Lids youre right a lot move out here only to move back very quickly. living here all year round is not for the faint hearted at the moment it is between 40 and 48 every day we get a few 53 degree days as well.
You have to be pretty self-sufficient I dont even have an address where I live but being the first to look at a gem Opal makes it all worth while.

Some stones from this mine

1514890719_dsc_0028.jpg
1514890810_dsc_0009-001.jpg
1514890884_dsc_0003-006.jpg
1514890972_dsc_0025-012.jpg
1514891050_dsc_0039-002.jpg
1514891168_dsc_0025-003.jpg
1514891277_dsc_0053.jpg
1514891370_dsc_0018-001.jpg

Cool!! Not very often people show their mine. Thanks for sharing. Just curious, how do you know where to put the supports? Chuck em up and hope for the best? Or, is there a method to follow?

I'm pretty sure it's a vacuum, Sneaky. :) It's unlikely that it is a belt because I think it would be very hard to make a belt carry the material directly upwards.

The ones they use on the large scale mines are so awesome! :Y:

Sneaky It is called a blower which is just a big Vacuum. It sucks the dirt along a 10 inch pipe and then up a 70 foot shaft into a hopper which empties into the truck.

Great video - thanks for sharing - and beautiful photos! Thanks Rodney :)

Don't mind my ignorance. As I wouldn't know where to start with opal mining.
Is it much different from other mining, say gold for instance. Do you still have to wash the pay?
How do you extract the opals?
I love those colors in the stones, very beautiful.
I have a few different opals from around australia, that I have picked up over the years.

Latest posts