Gemstone fossicking locations in Western Victoria

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

My names Adam and only today discovered this forum. My wife and I purchased a regional property in regional Victoria past Horsham 400km from Melbourne.

We have gone on a few weekend trips to Brim, Dimboola etc and were wondering if there are any known locations for fossicking within this region or greater western Victoria that would be worth looking at.

Have never prospected or fossicked before but thought it might be something fun for us both to do together over a few days.

Thanks in advance.
Adam

welcome to you both
someone will jump on later and answer your question
1514523017_7.jpg

lots to read on here and if you have any questions feel free to ask

Adam_King said:
Hi Everyone,

My names Adam and only today discovered this forum. My wife and I purchased a regional property in regional Victoria past Horsham 400km from Melbourne.

We have gone on a few weekend trips to Brim, Dimboola etc and were wondering if there are any known locations for fossicking within this region or greater western Victoria that would be worth looking at.

Have never prospected or fossicked before but thought it might be something fun for us both to do together over a few days.

Thanks in advance.
Adam

Hello Adam,
About 55 minutes south of Horsham is Mooralla. This location is famous for its smoky quartz. Use your search engine to find mud maps, tips and all information necessary for a trip down there. In early September I was able to get a few smaller specimans just speccing on the ground. There is a toilet there too.
Cheers and good luck.
Wallie

Yes Mooralla is a great place to fossick for Smokey Quartz Crystals. Dont go there when its raining, the mud sticks to your boots. Also the track in is quite undulating, 4wd prefered.
Good luck!
Cherokee.

Hi Adam,

not much in the Brim Dimboola area although there are gypsum deposits around Drung but mostly on private farm land. Contact the Horsham Lapidary Club in the Old Police complex Roberts Street Horsham and have a chat with the members there.
I've been on several field trips with the Club when I lived at Warracknabeal. The Horsham Lapidary Club holds their annual open day at the clubrooms in May.

Mooralla was mentioned as a great location for a fossick - don't forget to call in to Rocklands where you can find some very nice rhyolite that is suitable for cutting and make a trip a bit further south to Mortlake and pay a visit to Mt Shadwell.

Enjoy your new property you have purchased in a magic part of Vic.

I've just spoken to the President of the Horsham Lapidary Club and their annual open day has been moved to the 28th and 29th April.

Latest posts