Dometic ( Waeco ) fridge

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone has any information as to the CFX 75 Duel zone fridge.Maybe you or a mate has one and can give me their thoughts or opinion on them.
I have tried getting info on the net, but not much info in the way of own personal reviews is available.

Cheers

Phil

I have heard some good reports so far... Although they were spoken by a group of ARB 'Devotee's..... I personally prefer another brand, but 'they' are real expensive...
There are some good bargains out there at the moment...

Have you tried asking the question on here...

https://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/

or any other 4x4 forum should give you some info.... :Y:

LW....

Thanks Jaros and LW for the replies,I will have a look at some of the 4x4 forums to see if anything comes to light.

Cheers

Phil

This can be said about many things, but you get what you pay for :)

Some fridges have functions or features others don't. I tend to look past some of them as "icing on the cake" because if the cakes no good, the icing is worth nothing :)

I've read many forums re fridges, people are biased with their opinions, in as much as, what they themselves experience. A good experience, gives a good review, a bad experience, gives a bad review. I know, I have an Engel, I've had no trouble with it, looked after it, it has no rust or dents and works now as it did when I bought it.
So, would I recommend, Engel? Yes, Not because I'm an expert, but because it's the only portable fridge I've ever owned and my experience has been good.

BTW, it is now 25 years old :)

Im no expert either, just 4 Fridges amongst a few mates...

1X Engel... 8yrs old never missed a beat. 3 times around Australia..

2x Aldi..1 is 2yrs old the other new, for couple of months. so far all good...

1 x Waeco ... major issues and it has been in the shop more than it has been used in the last 12 months....

One of the Aldi owners had a Supercheap one and this lasted 14 months(12 months Warranty) of very careful ownership before it died and he got the Aldi. :rolleyes: .. Aldi fridges also run the same compressor as Waeco... and 'look' that simular, that I think they might come out of the same factory as Waeco.... :)

LW...

One thing you need to bare in mind is the size. They are very hard to fit anywhere in standard cars let alone whether they work well.
Its the same with the over sized 90 litre CFX.
Work backwards and see what will fit well with your set up, not how many cans you can carry.
Then work out whats the best brand with the best features for you.
Wheres the motor, which way does the lid open, etc etc.

GT :)

goldtruck59 said:
One thing you need to bare in mind is the size. They are very hard to fit anywhere in standard cars let alone whether they work well.
Its the same with the over sized 90 litre CFX.
Work backwards and see what will fit well with your set up, not how many cans you can carry.
Then work out whats the best brand with the best features for you.
Wheres the motor, which way does the lid open, etc etc.

GT :)

Good Advice - add to it this.....

Mine is only a 30lt, so, near full of food or drink it can weigh between 40-50kg. It sits on a drawer system, another 70kg. Add a 100AH battery at 32kg also in the rear as there's no room under the hood, (more common in newer 4x4) add the recovery gear etc in the drawers - 30kg and it doesn't take long to add up to 160-180kg on the back axle.

That's a 30lt, so for every 10lt increase in fridge size add at least another 8-10kg of fridge and contents.

and, that's before you hook up a van or camper, put luggage where you can or add passengers.....
Sometimes it's easier to buy 1 carton and drive to buy another when you run low :)

I did a lot of checking in to fridges and I went with the ARB, but waeco are great and I have seen a lot of rave reviews about their CFX range over their other models, The CFX are way up there with Engel and ARB's, I don't think there is much between them, The quality is first class and out of the 3 it is more of a case of picking the one that appeals to you the most,

J,

Thanks everyone for the replies. I have an older 60ltr engle which draws a lot of power(12volt) when on freeze and was not sure as to how much the newer Waeco would draw.The old engle seems to run a lot when on or near to the freeze position.
I just did not want to buy the Waeco cfx75 and find it would draw just as much power with the duel compartments (one on freeze and one on fridge) going at the same time.

Cheers

Phil

Here are some specs

The current Engel 60lt draws 0.5A min to 4.2A max @$1,800+. The current Waeco CFX65 (60lt) specs at 8.2A @ $1,400.

The Engel uses the Sawafuji Swing Motor which is an electro magnet pulsed piston, the piston being the only moving part.
The Waeco uses a more conventional compressor - crankshaft, con rod etc.

When I tested my 30lt Engel (rated at 3.0A) I found on a 25C day it averaged 25AH over a 24hr period and on a 40C day it used the same 25AH in 8 hours.

All portable fridges will suffer increases in power consumption for 3 main reasons;

1. The higher the ambient temperature, the more the fridge needs to work.
2. The lower the user sets the temperature, the more the fridge needs to work.
3. How often you open the lid. (not as critical in a chest type, but will affect)

The big question is; how often the compressor cycles i.e. in the above test, my Engel cycled at about 1/3 of the time (Average 1AH per hour suggests 20min out of 60min) @ 25C and was pretty well constantly running @ 40C to maintain fridge temp. (FYI I had it set to 2C in the fridge).

I can't speak for how often the Waeco cycles, but for the same size fridge, it pulls 4.0A more than the Engel. So unless it cycles at least 50% less than an Engel, it will consume more juice.

A lot of good advice above and agree with Condor Re: good or bad reviews, I personally have had a Waeco and had issues, admittedly I bought it s/hand so after it cost me a new deep cycle battery I purchased a new Engel fridge/freezer and would never buy anything else now, 5 years on and no issues at all.
I got an older Evacool fridge thrown in as part of a package when I got my off road camper S/H and although it's not bad I only use it at home for when having a bbq or party, took it away camping once but the temp ranges between 1c - 5c when I set it to 2c, not good enough for my liking compared to the Engel (but that's just my opinion).

Again, it comes down to what you have experienced as to how you review a product. My mate at work just purchased a new Waeco CFX 95 duel for an upcoming trip North and did some testing over a week left running in his Navara at home on fridge & freezer and is very happy with the results, he runs 3 batteries and said the draw was better than expected. I think the 75 is same as 95 but smaller so take that as one good review so far even though it's early days :Y:

Besides here I'm also a member of a sailing forum and one of the guys there just fitted a new fridge to his 40 footer made by this mob http://www.ozefridge.com.au/
and Matt reckons he just wipe the sh1t eating grin off his face with how well it works.

It is very hard to compare all the different brands and models because what one person gets in one part of the country another person might get different results else where and a lot depends on how you use it,

IE once I have pulled my ARB down to temp it won't kick in for a couple of hours, OR pull it down and add a heap of frozen food then it won't kick in for 18 to 20 hours but under normal conditions it uses between 7 to 9 amps over a 24hr period in 25 to 28*c ambient temps when set to about -10*c, Sometimes even less, I wanted the Engel but I am glad I got the ARB instead,

Every brand has had their share of issues so a person needs to buy the one that suits their needs and budget, but money no object I would still buy the one I have or an Engel or Waeco. They are all about the best of the best.

J.

Had my engel on over christmass, at the perfect temp, so I thought beers and water bottles icy cold, all good until I put in some diet pepsi,, these things must freeze up at a different temp, 4 out of 4 froze, 2 blew apart, frozen crap all through my engel. Beer and water icy cold but not frozen, and 2 regular cokes were ok.Be careful with diet pepsi.

GREENHORN said:
Had my engel on over christmass, at the perfect temp, so I thought beers and water bottles icy cold, all good until I put in some diet pepsi,, these things must freeze up at a different temp, 4 out of 4 froze, 2 blew apart, frozen crap all through my engel. Beer and water icy cold but not frozen, and 2 regular cokes were ok.Be careful with diet pepsi.

All good engels will tell you not to put diet pepsi in them, they only like real drinks. :D

Cheers

Doug

By the looks of that Photo it must be one of those
Artic White Fridges. :lol: :lol: ]:D

Latest posts