Gundagai Area

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Has anyone ever been to Gundagai to prospect there for gold and/or gems?
I have been doing some research and the place seems decent for fossicking and also fishing.
Any information regarding the gold brearing waterways would be greatly appreciated! :Y:

1514094864_gundagai.jpg

Yes, there is gold and treasure in the Gundagai area, the gold and watch chain end were found around the Long Tunnel mine some 25 years ago. The gold was extracted from a few specimens.
1514246231_image.jpg

1514246310_image.jpg

1514246482_image.jpg

Access today seems very limited, even to some of the old designated fossicking areas. Still worth driving up and around the high and steep ridges and ask if you can fossick.
Happy New Year and good luck fossicking
Diablo

You have some beauties there! Did you find the specimens with a detector?
Thanks for the info! - Jack

The end of the fob chain was found with a Goldseekers 15000. The specimens were found with my Tesoro Diablo. Which a friend still uses with success.
Cheers
Diablo

Went today for a few hours - poor results. Found 3 teeny tiny specks :|
Was a fun day though, good spot for trout and carp to catch at the minimum.

Also located a quartz reef and dug some up to process to see if there is any gold in it. Fingers crossed there is some! :Y:

Diablo said:
Yes, there is gold and treasure in the Gundagai area, the gold and watch chain end were found around the Long Tunnel mine some 25 years ago. The gold was extracted from a few specimens.
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/7795/1514246231_image.jpg
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/7795/1514246310_image.jpg
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/7795/1514246482_image.jpg
Access today seems very limited, even to some of the old designated fossicking areas. Still worth driving up and around the high and steep ridges and ask if you can fossick.
Happy New Year and good luck fossicking
Diablo
Hi Diablo
Is that gold pictured from around Gundagai area? Looks very reefy

Hi More Leadshot,
Yes the gold is from reef stone on the waste dump near the Long Tunnel mine site. The stone was quartz with highly folded serpentine ( chevron folded) type rock attached. Rock dissolved off with HF acid.
In those days you could still access the mine.

Cheers
Diablo

I used to prospect around Gundagai when I lived near Adelong. I found a little gold that was very fernlike/crystalline. During the rush days they found some beautiful large crystalline gold specimens that formed to look like feathers sandwiched between the fine flat cleavages in serpentine. I think the best specimen reported was called the Prince of Wales Feathers specimen. There are a couple of very very long serpentine belts associated with a major fault in the region and some of the gold is in the serpentine belt.
cheers RDD

Thanks Diablo and RedDirtDigger, am only new to prospecting and mum and dad come from Cootamundra ( I was born and breed there too). Dad and I worked with another Cootamundra man now 80yrs old who used to do a bit of panning in Gundagai area and his father owned the Prince of Wales mine there. Area has me very interested.
Cheers and thanks
Jamie

More Leadshot said:
Thanks Diablo and RedDirtDigger, am only new to prospecting and mum and dad come from Cootamundra ( I was born and breed there too). Dad and I worked with another Cootamundra man now 80yrs old who used to do a bit of panning in Gundagai area and his father owned the Prince of Wales mine there. Area has me very interested.
Cheers and thanks
Jamie
Born in Coota myself mate,my Dad probably knows your parents as everybody knew each other in Coota back then.