Desert Fox Arrived Today.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I am over the moon as my brand new Desert For wheel arrived to day. Now I must do a few test runs to check out its use and then get myself out into the feild. I will start with a few test pans to check if any color about and then I can get serious with it. I also intend to make a miller table as I am just interested and I will then be able to compare them. The fox I will be using in the feild but the table I will use at home running some materials I take home with me.
When I get a chance I will post my thoughts and findings.
Cheers all.
Doug WD

The gold wheel is meant for use as a refining tool from concentrates that you get from a banker etc.
It's really meant for a clean up device to clean all the concentrates to just pure gold from other heavies like black sand.

When you are out in the field, running a highbanker that you can throw shovels of raw material at is a better option.

You could run that gold wheel in the field if you wanted to, but you would need to classify down to very fine material and you would need to be content with the small amount you could feed through it.

They are a fantastic device, I wish I had one, but they are not a primary recovery tool.

Hi Yes I am very aware of the use of the fox and how to use it. I will first sample pan an area and if good zI will be using my high banker. The fox I would be using after my sluicing of the day while I relax back at the camp. The fox would not be quick enought to be my primary device. I will also take material back home with me after my prospecting trips and I will run that through a miller table for fine gold at home. I just have all this interest in the hobby.
It will be great just to gat away from home and breath some fresh air while doing something of interest. And with this equipment I'm sure I will get as much as possible out of it.
Oh. And thanks Jaros for your comment.
Also I have had thoughts of suitable surface to try in my Miller Table. I have purchased a greem chopping board for a catering supply place and intend to try it. It gives a solid surface which I expect to be suitable for the usen The board is the solid plastic which will be a good base and is green in color. No having to glue mats down and no need to paint with the green paint. When I build his thing I will post details. It's all just an interest thing and I like tinkering.
Cheers.
Doug WD

That's good to see you researched it properly, I have seen a few people looking at these thinking it would "do the panning for them".
Good to see you did your homework. :Y:
Good luck with the hunt.

The only bit of advice I can give you is.
Run a small clean up sluice under the desert fox.
I have been using mine for about 7 years now.
I have mine set up at home.
And take my cons home.
Wait till I have a few buckets and run them on a rain day when I am itching to get out of the house.

Classifying your cons is a must, I have found.
I run my -30 and 50 through the fox.
The +30 i just pan out.
-100 I normally do on the miller as the fox dose struggle a bit on the fine stuff.

Hope this helps you a bit, as for me it was trial and error.
Cheers Kane.

Thanks for the heads up. That is what I was intending but had not thought of the small clean up sluice. Good idea.
Classifying is my next step that I intend to work on as I understand the value of doing this properly.
Cheers Doug WD

Latest posts