Mogo

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all

Had a swing with Lesgold today, very enjoyable and as usual great company and like most forum members happy to show their interstate counterparts around the traps.

Unfortunately no gold today, but did have a close encounter with the wildlife, Les reliably informed me that the snake that I ran my coil into was indeed a Death Adder.

Luckily it did not take offence but I stepped back rather quickly.

Tough country up around here, hard to get the coil on the ground, but lovely country all the same.

Once again a big thanks to Les for showing me around, I had a great day even though it was goldless.

Cheers
Bob

Had a top day Bob. Thanks for coming out for a look see. It was good to share stories and compare setups, techniques etc. That was the first death adder Ive seen in a long time. It was a real eye opener as to how well it was camouflaged and hid itself in the leaf litter. I would have walked over it without even seeing it. Even after you pointed it out, it still took a considerable amount of time to distinguish the shape of the snake from the surrounding bush. I can now see how easily you could be bitten. Thank goodness it was an overcast and relatively cool day. The snake was quite placid. For the members who frequent the area, the snake was located about 50 m from the burnt out 4wd. My only regret was not photographing the beast for you guys to have a look at. Will ensure the gaiters are worn every trip from now on.

Cheers

Les

We encountered a couple of snakes at currowong camp grounds a couple of months ago. This adder was angry and chacing a family around the ute. It was at least a meter long. It wasnt fast moving but circling around the Ute chacing them. They had called for help as we were camping nearby. Hopefully the last time I see one that angry. The family were able to pack up unharmed. The adder had came to within one meter of the 10year old sitting by the fire. They were planing to stay in swags. Glad we have a camper.

the adder is found in the Arctic Circle.. so its fair to say winter to them is not so much of a concern unlike other Australian snakes!

Latest posts