Open for comment on my sluice.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
1512851862_dsc00406.jpg
1512851887_dsc00407.jpg
1512851927_dsc00408.jpg
1512851962_dsc00410.jpg
1512851988_dsc00412.jpg
1512852025_dsc00415.jpg
1512852048_dsc00416.jpg
1512852072_dsc00409.jpg
Now I know that its not quiet finished , but I ve got my flack jacket on, so I am open for input , has it got potential, its just a midnight dream idea...I am sitting down so GO......

It may need holes drilled in to the top and bottom of the pipes so there is a constant exchange of material and to make the gold sink to the bottom. Other than that, it looks really good! I like your design :Y: . - Jack

Mate, I had the bazooka, a mid size one, worked a treat except for the leaf litter and heavy clay, but for lots of other good spots it was great!
Just had to go bigger as the years went on, lol

That one looks great, if it where me, I would just add some type of screen to stop the leaf litter and small sticks clogging up the small flow holes!
And be getting it down the creek for a good run.

Awesome

:Y:

Yeah love it, always wanted to give a fluid bed sluice a good workout in some spots where the gravels are pretty clean from clay and debris. Like Marksman suggested would be great to see a vid/pics of it in action.
Good luck on its maiden voyage!

Just saw your design. Clever idea with the water pipes.

I finished my own design last week and initially had lots of trouble trying to work out how many holes to put in the pipes. Then I remembered the old perforated can trick with holes in the side of a tank(can) of water. The speed of the water coming from the holes ONLY depends on the height of water above the hole. I saw some folks commenting that too many holes would cause a lower pressure but that is a complete load of old bollocks. The head of water is what matters and you get that from the slope and length of the water feed. It's called Bernoulli's principle. Look up Torricelli's law as well. Use as many holes as necessary to put water into the whole area of the base of the fluid bed.

Your design means you can run piping up the creek to get more head. Suggestion - put some tape across the start of the punch plate to stop sharp rocks catching and you could put a hinge there so you can lift the punchplate to inspect the bed.

Once the water starts agitating the bed material then the more water you have into the bottom of the bed then the more fluid the material becomes and the better it separates the heavy material. Just have to fiddle with the angle to get the material feed rate right depending on the type of raw material coming off the shovel.

I look forward to seeing a video of your sluice working.

PS. I am thinking about some type of upside down reverse riffle to dump the fines down into the head of the bed without blowing out the bed. Some commercial fluid beds use short walls up from the bed floor to make compartments across the beds. Still tinkering with that.

Latest posts