father and son looking at trying this hobby.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 11594

Aiden Matthew-Ruiz
Reaction score
Hi guys hows it going, hope everyone has a weekend full of shinny things.
my names aiden, and my father is adrian. we have been looking into starting panning and think we are ready to go out. i dig trenches all day with a pick at work only for no reward but a pay check and a pat on the back and i believe i could use my skill and work ethic else where. we both wish to respect the land and the rules which have been in place before us and will stand after us. we were thinking of starting out in the cox river somewhere but yeah we have no real idea. if some one could guide us we would be more than happy as neither me or my dad have ever seen the real thing come from the ground.

hope everyone has a good weekend

feel free to message us if you ever need a hand digging i can assure you im not afraid of the red stuff i love watching it crumble.

peace and love

Ruiz
Father & Son

How do you post a survey on here ? Dont know if I should click on it. Worth a try, great to get in the outdoors just dont rely on it to make a wage for you. Pocket change maybe.

under my comment section it asked if i would like to start a poll. hope that helped. thanks for the knowledge yeah we just want to be out doors more our work allows us to have day off here and there we just want to use our time out doors wisely. a dollar here and there adds up some day! :Y:

Hi Aiden
I wouldnt bother with the Coxs River as a starting point as it not a known gold producing river , but there are plenty more out that way toward Oberon .
Another spot worth starting is Oallen Ford on the Shoalhaven River , its more suited to Highbanking which is now banned but a day panning will get results. The beauty of starting there is gold is everywhere although fine it will help you learn to pan and find gold on your first trip.
Do your research and then do some more to ensure you start of the hobby with some basic knowledge to get you going.
Gaz

thanks alot gaz, anything or everything helps at this point we will defiantly take that into consideration. only reason why we where interested in the cox was because of minview along the cox there was a pocket with 2 gold pyramids on either side. but ill listen to the experience and look at booking a trip towards oallen ford ill check the map first. nugget or fine gold doesnt bother me, since high banking is banned how about river sluices?

sluices can be used at Oallen in a few spots
turn off the road at the ford and go up stream to the rapids or depending on the water flow under the bridge is ok as well
all fine gold

thanks alot marksman, to be completely honest i have know idea where any of these places are and on the maps well thats no help. but thanks alot if you know of any other places leaving from western sydney id love to check it out also . thanks again

Thanks tathradj appreciate it really this is a great community and im glad to have found it i hope one day i can return the favor. if our day is full of shinny ill make sure to give you some time in return, so if you ever need a hand to dig feel free to knock.

I cant say i know anything about Cowhole Creek apart from the fact that the whole Bungonia area was and is a recognized gold district . Some areas come under national parks or private property while others are heavily linked to local landcare groups . So just read up on access to the spots you would like to try before you head out.
While its fine to go out in untried areas it would be better to try some known spots for the first couple of times to help you learn what to look for and as you get better you can venture of with your knowledge to other spots.
Places like Oallen and Tuena usually have other fossickers around that you can chat with and gain some first hand info on the hobby.

Gaz :Y:

Latest posts