Man Made?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chiron52

Dave
Reaction score
Can anyone identify this material I bought at a show a few months back?
I think it is man made and seems to be a bit porous.
When wet it displays blue and green colour like you might see in opal.
A club member thought that it would need to be soaked in something to seal it before cabbing.
Chiron.

1512713851_b.jpg

Could you please put an image of when it's wet as this will give a better idea, thanks - Jack :Y:

Yes, from your description I thought it could be Andamooka Matrix Opal or fairy opal. And it is!

Fairy opal is the same thing as Andamooka matrix - treated sandstone opal, but the fairy is from a different locality than Andamooka.

Also, Not man-made, but it is treated by sugar.
Great find! - Jack :Y:

Mistake I made:
Andamooka opal is usually an opalised limestone and fairy opal is usually opalised sandstone. So they are different in that way but are in the matrix opal family. - Jack

It might possibly be Andamooka matrix as limestone usually is made up of finer particles, compared to sandstone. - Jack

Since you guys put me on to Matrix opal I have spent a couple of hours with Mr.Google.
After looking at numerous images and reading volumes of text, it would seem my pieces could be either Andamooka or Fairy, depending on what article you read.
But at least I now have a fair idea what they are.
Can I assume that because my pieces have a very dark grey base colour, it means they have already been sugar treated?
(I also notice that my smaller ($8) piece is much more porous than the larger piece.)
SO, in January when our local club opens its doors again I will attempt to cab a piece of the larger slice.
Watch this space for the results.
Thanks Jack and LF for your assistance.

Yes, it depends on where it was formed.
It's dark because it has already been treated.

Don't cut too deep as the colour will go back to white and loose the treating. This will make the colour become barely visible.
Good luck with cutting! :Y: - Jack

Latest posts