Treasure Detecting Showntell

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good question. If it was a modern coin, i would say it went through a poker machine too many times ,but being very old , i wonder if the quality of the coins all those years ago was not as good as the way they are made today.

FOZ

As far as my knowledge goes, silver coins are obviously a lot softer than the alloys that we use today, and between the late 1700s-mid 1800s there was all manner of problems with keeping enough new coinage in circulation which meant that heaps of old coins were kept doing the rounds far past their use-by date. Whereas today I suppose coins that are too worn are taken out of circulation by the banks, they couldn't afford to in that early to mid 1800s time. That's why we get tokens, pretty much people taking the coinage problem into their own hands. I think it all got sorted out more or less by the 1860s-80s.

Pulled out a shrub in the front yard today. Opened up a few metres of yard I haven't been able to explore :)

First freakin' target :party:

1554112674_threepence.jpg

After that it was bits of crap and bits of good stuff.

1554112721_total_of_stuff.jpg

Any ideas on this one?

1554112744_royal_thing.jpg

Or this? Very light bit of pressed tin but not sure if it is off a toy or what.

1554112786_bling_thing.jpg