Treasure Detecting Showntell

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1542790138_8323d96b-5a40-436e-a83d-a77555512a45.jpg

Got a mate that has a paddock that was the main street of an old town or whatever you might want to call it. Gold rush era. Last remnants gone by the 1930's.

A general store, a brothel, a pub and a post office are the establishments he knows were there.

I have known about the spot for a fair while but finally got 2 hours today to belt up and have a look around.

Did one run of about 1.5 metres by 35 metres and that took up the 2 hours. Plenty of targets, PLENTY of old iron crap and some good stuff amongst it.

Got these 2 above. My first button that actually has something on it - rather than just a plain brass button. And it is military and it is Australian - happy with that.

Got another better condition half penny (1938 I think) that the owner kept. And another bent up earlier half penny - about 1920 from memory.

Got 2 belt buckles that were nothing special and a bit bent up but also my first buckles.

A spoon, some brass ruler type pieces, a brass door knob, a tow bar and quite a few random large metal things that I have no idea what they are but again, nothing special.

The Equinox was great on round stuff or the brass stuff and gave good solid IDs. Lots of iron grunt but I run it on all metal as I like to hear how much crap is down there and also helps me distinguish those confusing targets that have jumping, random IDs that can pop up. Pretty much called the coins as being something 'good' and also called most of the large iron pieces as being just that. But I still like to dig them if there are a few numbers around that 26-32 range in case they are something precious :gemstone:

Wouldn't have even done 5% of this spot and I am hopeful and slightly confident that there may be a gold sovereign or half sovereign waiting for me. Seems like the right type of spot to be looking??

It can only make you wonder how many coins were lost out the front of those establishments prior to sealing of the roads, wish you good luck on the rest of the site. :D

Surely between those 4 types of establishments there would be a lot of coins. And who knows what else?

Incidental findings whilst digging holes was lots of crumbled red brick remains and porcelain plate bits.

Sounds like you have a great site
Just be mindful , even if this is private property, if you can be seen by passing traffic , you WILL attract unwanted attention
Choose your hunting times carefully

Unfortunately right next to the road but a quiet country road.

I already had my line of Im just finding the property owners wedding ring that she lost here somewhere.

Fortunately there is not a single sign that there were buildings, etc, there.

I was even a bit dubious myself until the hinges and door knobs and crumpled brick, etc.

But good advice, thanks :Y:

Nice finds! I'm still looking for a Chinese one or anything pre 1800 will do! The penny has got a very nice patina on it too. :Y:

I will leave some Roy.

These are on private property secret spot number 1.

Secret spot number 2 I havent been to yet.

And secret spot number 3 has a report of 46 years ago a random finding of a handful of specie gold under some tree roots (the tree uprooted) and they couldnt visually see any more in the dirt so havent looked since :eek: Hopefully going there Wednesday and also just found out tonight there was a post office and pub there many, many years ago near where the house now stands.

I may have to give up work to persue this hobby ;)

Northeast said:
I will leave some Roy.

These are on private property secret spot number 1.

Secret spot number 2 I havent been to yet.

And secret spot number 3 has a report of 46 years ago a random finding of a handful of specie gold under some tree roots (the tree uprooted) and they couldnt visually see any more in the dirt so havent looked since :eek: Hopefully going there Wednesday and also just found out tonight there was a post office and pub there many, many years ago near where the house now stands.

I may have to give up work to persue this hobby ;)

Sounds like you are going to have fun so enjoy just got to love those secret spots

Yeah mate, all with the Nox. The GM is on ice just waiting for delivery on Saturday.

This spot is crazy with iron. The low iron grunt is almost a permanent background noise but the good signals come through. Turned sensitivity down to 15 trying not to overwhelm the unit.

I am not sure about other TID VLF's but big iron can give some solid mid 20's numbers on the Nox - but always back-grounded with the iron grunt. Large pieces of pipe, axe heads, shovel heads, gate ornaments, thick chain, that sort of thing gives some reasonably stable higher numbers. They generally just don't sound quite right but I dig them just in case they are hiding a treasure.

One thing I do find with the Nox at this spot is that as I'm digging holes there is nails and bits of other iron crap coming out of the hole and the Nox is seperating the crap from the good stuff really well.

Another trick is to pump the coil up and down in all metal mode over over a suspect signal and if the tone/ID changes it's probably crap. I reckon I've only dug a couple of bits of tin and galvanized iron using this one.

Latest posts