Treasure Detecting Showntell

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Afternoon all. First time Ive posted in this section - first time Ive had cause to :|
Have I missed something or is there not a Show n tell thread in here like in the gold section? If I have missed it can a mod please bung this post in there :Y:

Got asked to detect an old house site on a mates farm. Used the gold monster simply for its discrimination as I dont have a coin/relic detector (that may change with the Equinox!).

Found the usual rubbish but then turned up this beauty

1512542771_34b879ca-d21e-48d8-babf-0aa607430c82.jpg

Turns out to be an English Cavalry Breast Plate. WW1 or before. My first really exciting relic find (I usually chase the yellow stuff).
Anybody else seen one before?

Nice work Northeast, well done.

There's no show and tell section here, we usually start a thread like you have done and continue post relic or coin finds in the same thread and keep it ongoing. :Y:

Thanks Heatho. I did notice that most people had started their own personal thread to put just their stuff in. I am more than likely going to be an irregular contributor in the treasure section so I'm happy to leave this as a generic thread for anyone to post their finds in - probably other irregular treasure finders like myself ;)

And thanks Heatho, Marksman and GDA for the kind words.

Any suggestions on what might be a safe product to clean this with?

Great find, and worthy of starting your own thread with

Olive oil is a noninvasive way of giving it a quick clean of dirt and grime and tends to bring out the colour. A soak to loosen that hard grime also works. I usually use paper towel to rub excess grime and oil off.

Will be hard to beat that one :cool:

Thanks for the suggestions. Not knowing what it was made of I assumed it would be a very gently, gently type of clean - cleaning products could do unspeakable things to :eek: .

I'll let my mate know :Y:

I'd do warm soapy water and tooth brush to start off until you know what metal it is....If it's quite heavy it may be Brass which will clean up nicely with Autosol.... All the best mate however you choose to clean it. :) :Y:

Been playing with the Equinox whenever I get a spare 1/2 hour and getting along nicely with it. Mostly just in the back yard. Different modes, different settings, etc.

Found this one today.

1525259477_d58e7757-c0bb-49e7-9e69-324fc7e9ddfc.jpg

And at the farm where I grew up a few weeks ago I turned up this beauty amongst a few other things..

1525259557_4417f09b-d461-4817-9a87-db56f30e2345.jpg

1525259603_e0ea8892-13d8-4d41-9184-975b4cc13348.jpg

1541929373_1c3410ce-e15b-41a8-900c-904ea3d8b9a9.jpg

1541929373_bcc4757a-e249-449b-936d-e962ef742634.jpg

I stated at the start of this thread that my posts in here would be infrequent - I was right ;)

Have played with the Equinox quite a bit for both gold and coin/treasure detecting. It is an infinitely adjustable beast and I am finding it great for discerning between ferrous and non-ferrous and special little techniques that help with the iffy targets. Depth has not been an issue either.

This little coin was found today in a stream bed. Got a sinker out of the hole first (TID 18) and re-checked as was getting some 21-22's as well. Pulled up quite a bit of mudded in layers of slate all up on their edge. I reckon the coin has dropped out of someones pocket a long time ago and found its way down between these layers. Would have expected it to be much more worn having been in a river for approx 100 years but if it got stuck in quick and never moved much?

Have finally decided that I have so much confidence in the Equinox that the Gold Monster can go. I'm just not using it much and with the sale of the GM I will be *allowed* to get the small coil for the Equinox which will help with those smaller spaces.

There will be a GM in the For Sale section in the next 24 hours if anyone's keen :perfect:

1541931187_mels_silver_ingot.jpg

And this was a little beauty I got about 3 months ago from my in-law's BBQ area down the river. I knew it was my sister in laws because it has her name on the back! She can't remember when she lost it but reckoned it was 20+ years ago. And had no idea where she lost it. Solid high tone of about 32 if I remember right and a good 7-8 inches deep. Has had several floods over it in that time.

Latest posts