Is it just me??

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have found gold the last 4 weeks running always in the morning never after 1 pm. Gold seems to hide after that lol. I'm slightly confused as to why. Thought maybe the Heat but the last 2 weeks it's been cool so. . . What gives?

Got your tides wrong Robbo, things'll change now, so if your not gettin on in the morning just keep plodding till the arvo comes round n then hook in. ]:D

I also think that it's a focus thing. I often have more luck when I duck out for an hour or 2 after work than when I'm out for a full day on the weekend. I also often find gold when I first get out in the bush and think you beauty I'm in for a good day and then nothing else.
Taking your time for break for lunch or smoko is a good idea.

I have noticed for long time that I am more productive in the morning, if I don't find something in the first two/three ours, I know that will be a disappointing day, especially in the hot months after lunch I keep on going but with less energy and less enthusiasm.

patchfinder said:
I have noticed for long time that I am more productive in the morning, if I don't find something in the first two/three ours, I know that will be a disappointing day, especially in the hot months after lunch I keep on going but with less energy and less enthusiasm.
Were not related are we? Sounds exactly like me :D mind you I did find my biggest piece around 3.00 pm on a 35 degree day, but that was a one off

I reckon you guys have real confidence problems. I tend to be very consistent throughout the day. Find very little in the morning, nothing around lunchtime and diddly squat of an afternoon. I would be willing to give advice if you are chasing this sort of consistency. This is no fluke. It occurs most days in the field.

Cheers

Les

I do the same when crevicing. My first pan often gets a couple of pickers. I get excited thinking I will easily make an ounce in a day but then following pans only occasionally have fly poop :mad:

the duck said:
Bullants bring it to the surface in the morning and when it heats up they take it down deep and use it for heating the colony
how clever they are but how to they prevent their nippers getting burnt ? Pair of tiny Nipper mitts ?

I think there's more to it than just having to walk over it. We'll often arrive at a new spot and While Mrs M is getting herself into gear I duck out and grab a nugget. That gets her all excited but that's usually where the excitement ends. In most cases I may as well pack up and find a new spot. We've had so many one nugget patches that I've worked out they must be dropped by crows or perhaps there are too many bower birds out there, if so I'm looking forward to the day I find the bower bird nest :p

It seems all the action is in the first few minutes but sometimes we get lucky and actually find a productive area. Before finishing the day we do a weigh in. Often the scales fall a fraction short of a gram, perhaps 7.85g so I say "I'll take the SDC and go and grab one to make it eight". I've only ever once failed to bring that one back but I kept at it and eventually I got back in after midnight with a tiny nugget to make up the final gram for the day. That little nugget came from the start of a new patch :)

I think a lot of it is in the attention to detail. In those first few minutes I know we need one to get started so I don't go far but I'm very slow and careful. Same thing at the end of the day, I only want one, I already know where they have been coming from so I just go to the spot and take particular care.

1512523626_bower_bird.jpg

I noticed the same thing happening to me I found definitely more gold I the morning before I go to work (9am to 1pm) and less when I do a full day detecting.

During full day I generally find at the beginning in the morning and late afternoon ( when I start to be tired)
I think its because before work i know i dont have much time so I take a small area and do it carefully
When I do full day I target a too big area.

Because I know that I try to set small area for a full day (for example a hill and I force myself to stay on the hill and dont assume there is no gold here because I didnt find a nugget in the first hour)
I also try to take a long lunch break..

If I'm so lucky as to find a nugget it sends my focus and enthusiasm into overdrive. I scan the ground so carefully I can hear the sounds of the north atlantic ocean. I drive home with a silly grin on my face and plan how I'm going to break the news of my find to those who don't really care. I'll follow up by cleaning my detecting equipment (you gotta maintain your business) and watch prospecting shows late into the night. Finding gold in the morning and losing focus? Impossible.

Nope definetly not just you,we often do ok early on then struggle in the arvo especially in old areas or spots weve worked before,the area has alot to do with it to i reckon,camped solo at a spot for 3-4 days last summer where we we had been getting a few bits,went home empty handed,weve pulled quite a few ozs out of there now 100 yrds from where i camped,just seem to walk around it sometimes.....

Finally cracked a late one. Got a .85 at 5pm ha ha using my new 15 spoked evo. But thats the end of it. 4 full days from 2nd of Jan and nothing further. Gotta slow down keep my head down and focus on one area instead of lifting my head and saying oh that place looks good and going here there and everywhere

I found a nice 3 oz. specimen 4 inches long on the rim of a deep hole on a reef.Beautiful shiny gold.It was in amongst copperheads one only 2 m from the coil and it was 38 degrees and late in the avo in Vic. Maybe copperheads bring me luck.Probably worth a few quid today but I sold it to a prospector a few years ago before the price of gold skyrocketed.

Moneybox said:
I think there's more to it than just having to walk over it. We'll often arrive at a new spot and While Mrs M is getting herself into gear I duck out and grab a nugget. That gets her all excited but that's usually where the excitement ends. In most cases I may as well pack up and find a new spot. We've had so many one nugget patches that I've worked out they must be dropped by crows or perhaps there are too many bower birds out there, if so I'm looking forward to the day I find the bower bird nest :p

It seems all the action is in the first few minutes but sometimes we get lucky and actually find a productive area. Before finishing the day we do a weigh in. Often the scales fall a fraction short of a gram, perhaps 7.85g so I say "I'll take the SDC and go and grab one to make it eight". I've only ever once failed to bring that one back but I kept at it and eventually I got back in after midnight with a tiny nugget to make up the final gram for the day. That little nugget came from the start of a new patch :)

I think a lot of it is in the attention to detail. In those first few minutes I know we need one to get started so I don't go far but I'm very slow and careful. Same thing at the end of the day, I only want one, I already know where they have been coming from so I just go to the spot and take particular care.

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/3960/1512523626_bower_bird.jpg

Love that pic of the Bower bird and nest. Iused to see them all the time when i lived in Noble Park Vic. not any more. 8.(

Latest posts