Jack's Gems

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A white to pale blue topaz from O'Briens creek. It has a few rutile inclusions but cannot see as many in person. The stone is more bright and more intense in person.
1512278654_img_0572.jpg

1512278820_img_0570.jpg

By the way, does anyone have any tips on how to get better photos of faceted stones? I can't seem to get the full brilliance in the photos I take. :)

Some recent cabochons:
1514959793_img_0676.jpg

Fossil on top and the bottom two are agates. All Australian material.

1514959793_img_0677.jpg

The three dark brown and red stones are Australian Jaspers, pink top one is rhodonite, bottom pink and white one is Australian agate, middle one is opalite from Norseman and the left one is crazy lace agate from Mexico I believe.

Some nice looking cabs there Jack :Y:

I particularly like the very bottom one.

Great stuff jack keen to see what else you've done that lace agate cab also looks excellent aswell as the others :Y:

Also a tip for taking better photos try sit the gem holder with stone in it in the corner of a shallow box so at least half the gem holder or so is sticking out put somthing else against the gem holder to hold it in the corner of the box and that should allow you get better focus with the camera and should take a cleaner photo hope this helps :Y:

Thanks Lefty!

Thanks for that tip also, Gemhunter! What type of lighting should I use? Outdoors or LED or something else.

Nice photos mate I prefer the photos where the stones are not in direct sunlight I think you see more of the stones true color aswell as nice reflections where as the photo in the direct light shows alot more reflections rather then it's true color but that's just my opinion they look great anyway LED light are good aswell as torchs but show alot of reflections of the light color but I guess it would be better if you just try with whatever lights you want either way I think you'll appreciate them :Y:

1514965983_20171221_065547.jpg
here is a photo I took of one of my peridots I just held the gem holder in my hand for a quick photo but thats not in the direct sunlight although it looks like it because the sun on my fingers the stone itself is slightly in the shade

I think I would probably give my right arm to find an opal like the one in the second photo :) :Y: Very nice Jack.

Latest posts