re-design of highbanker,

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am in the midst of re-fitting my h/banker, into a creek/river sluice with just the water power to run it ,,what I need is a clue on what type of mate to use,, has to be low profile like ribbed or uneven type mat. open for suggestions....and the place to get the items ,,,,

In serious, you could use v-mat or ribbed mat, miners moss on top of v-mat, ribbed carpet or you could splash some cash to buy some gold hog mats, vortex mats, dream mats or something like that. It really depends on your setup, what type of gold are you targeting (micro-specs, flakes, pickers etc), water speed, how long your sluice is, what is in the dirt that you will be running and other things that will affect your gold recovery.

These are just a few more common examples (I might've forgot one) that you might look into with more depth.
Hope this helps! :) :Y:

Also, the branded mats can be bought online and the shipping could cost more than the mats (Gold Hog is from U.S.A and is very expensive to get it shipped to Australia). The v-mats and such might be found in a Bunnings store or from some rubber shop. :D

lol Funny mate's don't help much, but a laugh is good for the heart. :cool:

Dream mat from the boys or the mid size V mat from Clark rubber will do quite nice too.

Well thanks for the come back and I should check what I put up before I push the enter button ,,,,heheheheheheh. a low profile mat is what I am looking for or the one that has non-regular riffles , will do some more searching,,,,,,,big tar....

Just to throw my 2 cents into the mix. I like one piece sluices. Easy to clean out by washing the whole thing into a tub.

Goldfreak said:
Just to throw my 2 cents into the mix. I like one piece sluices. Easy to clean out by washing the whole thing into a tub.
Like the MacKirk's! Super light and super easy clean-ups! Although if your going to use a mat, Dream Mat's are fantastic; very little cons and easy to wash out in a bucket. :Y:

Rusty_G said:
Goldfreak said:
Like the MacKirk's! Super light and super easy clean-ups! Although if your going to use a mat, Dream Mat's are fantastic; very little cons and easy to wash out in a bucket. :Y:
Yes, I turned this into a highbanker but easy to make into a sluice, the timber was me trying to figure out how to put it in a frame at the time. As far as mats go the dream mat looks very easy to clean out like you said :Y:
1512116388_20171201_181923.jpg

Hey that's brilliant! Drop Riffle Sluice...is it guttering? Bet it weights nothing! DIY MacKirk hahaa. :D :Y:
Where did you get it? Would be great in small creeks with less flow!

I hand made it out of 3 mm abs plastic sheet. The riffles have reverse angles that you wont get on a vacuum formed sluice which makes it work exceptionally well, it's also flared all the way down to slow water flow and keep the gold dropping down into those riffles. It's about 140 cm long. Lots of failed attempts and ruined material before I got it right though but making it taught me a lot about working with abs.

Goldfreak said:
I hand made it out of 3 mm abs plastic sheet. ..........................

That's good innovation Goldfreak.
How did you bend the sheet to keep it's shape? Did you use heat?

Latest posts