Intro

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I am from south western Sydney and really looking toward to learning about prospecting and fossicking. I had been toying with the idea for years and finally went out and purchased a Mine Lab Gold Monster 1000. I am hoping this is a decent entry level detector for gold detecting.
I am keen to learn from this forum as at this stage I know zip on the topic though as time goes on with experience down the track I hope to help newbies like myself with what I have learnt.
Looking forward to being part of this forum.
Cheers
Emzy

Thanks for the welcome 7.62marksman,

I am glad to hear you have had success on the beaches with the Gold Monster 1000 as that to is something i want to give a crack.

What is the protocol with finding jewelry, is it yours to keep ?
I dont want to be doing the wrong thing claiming ignorance as i know that doesnt wash with the law and i would rather keep on the right side of it.

Love to hear and feedback and thanks again for the welcome

Well depending on what it is hand it into the police then get it back when not claimed
Tell the surf club but dont tell them what it looks like or where you found it and if any one contacts you then they have to describe it and roughly where they lost it before you give it over

Hi and welcome to PA, so many great people to learn from here, always feel free to ask a question no matter how silly it may seem, I do and I have been here for ages.
Well done on getting a detector, it is so exciting the finds you come across, I started as a beach comber and now pretty well only chase gold.
Regarding jewellery found, it should be handed in to the law (get a record/reciet from police) and if after set time it isnt claimed it is yours to do as you like, keeping/selling jewellery you found can be a cause for being done with theft if reasonable effort isnt made to find the owner (theft through finding I think it is), in saying that though it is extremely hard to prove/identify a plain chain or ring etc, I was a pawnbroker for ten years and dealt with that almost daily.
Again welcome to PA and enjoy
Cheers
Jamie

Thanks everyone for all the great feedback about my question RE jewllery finds. That was just what I was looking for confirmation on.
I would much prefer chasing the gold nuggets myself, definitely would be more of a buzz to find something unique in the great outdoors thats been chased by many others for the last few hundred years and worth $ too.

Hi Emzy,

The GM1000 does work on gold, here is one I found last weekend.

1512031234_goldmonster1.06gm.jpg

1.06 grams of leaf gold from the Georgetown goldfields. :)

Cheers

Doug

Hi Welcome to the forum mate. Plenty to read . Post as well. Where abouts in western Sydney you from. I am in Campbelltown area.

Nice one Doug,

that there is truly some inspiration confirmation the Gold Monster was a good one to start with. :Y: Thanks for sharing.

Cheers
Andrew

Hi Pete165,

I am actually located in Mount Annan, would be more than 10kms away.

Marksman, I set up ages ago a Facebook group for detecting/prospecting in the Illawarra/south coast but got over it after a bit and stopped use if facebook (side note- just checked it and it is still going and kind of active)

I work in Minto and come from Shellharbour so you both are somewhat local to me from my point of view

yes there is a few of us that are very close
might be good to have a meet up and do a beach and bbq lunch
i will put something on here in meet ups when i get my life sorted out or if anyone else wants to do it that is fine by me ]:D ]:D ]:D
i dont use or even have a facebook account havent for about 8 years

That sounds good Marksman would be great to meet the locals so to say and a few more faces from here.

I have just got back on FB cause I have a heap of 4x4 parts I am getting rid of and Facebook is the easiest option for it unfortunately

Latest posts