Beryl?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Here's another stone I found last weekend, I've cleaned it up a bit. I suspect it's beryl? Seems to be a fractured section of a crystal and quite weathered. Been trying hard to find aquamarine, not having much luck, but just wondering if I'm getting close or not?
1511951852_pb291020.jpg

It does kind of look like a piece of beryl, very difficult to tell though. The lengthwise striations look a bit like beryl and the cleavage looks about right too. Specific gravity should be between 2.6 and 2.9 if you have scales to do the test with.

It could be.

Thanks Heatho, always good to get another opinion. There are even better striations on the other side (the outside) which I'll get a pic of later. I realize it's hard to tell just by looking at a photo, I have the same problem looking at other photos.

You really need to do a SG test as Heatho mentioned. I assume you found it in a location known for Beryl since that is your target mineral.

Is Topaz also found in the same area?

I can do an SG test, I've done it before for gold in quartz. Yeah it is a location where beryl can be found, I've found a fair bit in a different spot but this is the first possible bit from a new location. It looks different to the other stuff I was finding, the other stuff didn't have the striations and wasn't as weathered. Maybe there could be more there. From my research apparently topaz has been found nearby a long time ago, how much they got I have no idea. I've never found any although when I looked for topaz I think what I got was quartz which probably also needs an SG test to be sure. I'll get a pic of my "possible topaz" which is probably all quartz.

That may explain the some what eroded nature of the crystal, assuming it's beryl. :/

Many of the beryl crystals recovered from the Cairngorms are deeply etched and corroded as a result of the action of highly corrosive late stage fluids. Such fluids, sometimes including high concentrations of hydrogen fluoride which is required to form topaz, may alter beryl to phenakite or bertrandite, and rarely to genthelvite, all of which have been reported from the Cairngorms.

Thanks Mr Magoo, interesting. I guess then if someone who knew a bit about it found an etched beryl crystal, then they might see that as a possible indicator for topaz. I might have to get my "possible topaz" checked out too, there could be some in there. Cheers.

Some of those 'could be Topaz' stones do look pretty convincing to me, I reckon its worth the test! :)

Pic of some other beryl I found which seems to come in different colours. I don't know if there would be a chance of finding any aqua or emerald in this sort of stuff? Or would it just all be like this?
1513126180_pc131016.jpg

Latest posts