Hard facts on today's small miner.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a friend who is currently trying to sell his goldmine at mosquito creek, Nullagine WA. He has just renewed the the lease for another 20 years, he has satisfied the needs for native title, just had the property surveyed and pegged out for $5,000. He had the property assayed by a geologist and the mine produces one onz. of gold per one ton of rock. The reefs are close to the surface and can be exposed and worked by bulldozer.
Now here lies the problem............ he is mid 70's and in bad health. He has completely run out of money trying to satisfy the various greedy authorities, like the council, yobo greenies , native titles, land surveys, geology reports,assay testing etc etc etc. IT IS SO DAMN HARD. His powder monkey licence had lapsed and now it's impossible to get another one with the terrorist laws.
You guys are spot on. You can no longer mine like it used to be in the good old days. You need millions of dollars and a whole group of experts to back you and to top it off you need to piss into into a politicians pocket. You need a D9, excavator, crushers, slurry tanks, trommels, cyanide experience, a whole industry. And then you have to survive the 45C temperatures, the flies, mosquitoes and the dreaded midges.
So, do I have anyone interested? HMMMMM. lol

I'm sorry for re-posting this again on this section. I just wanted the extra coverage.
I would like more people to realise just how expensive it is do get into serious mining. The above story is real, the mine is for sale. Originally my mate wanted $300,000 but the figure was too high to begin with and he has dropped the price dramatically. If there are people out there who have big ambitions and deep pockets, then perhaps this can become a reality to have a go. PM me if interested.

aussiefarmer said:
If it was close to me i would buy it , then advertise on sites like this and charge prospectors (like us) per day to come work it or have a 70/30 split system :Y: Sit back drink beer, cook bbqs and teach and learn and still get the gold :lol:

that is such a crap idea lol ... Ol ma n pa kettle come up to work it, Pa drops hammer on Mas' head, Ma dies, u get sued and hounded by work safe rest of your life, mine closes down, u lose out, work safe take your house, wife leaves you........ Crap idea. :)

I hear you mate its funny that councils and government get to push roads in with dozers and cut house blocks out on the side of the hill and potentially do more environment damage in long term and get away with it and they don't have to pay land bonds native title rehab etc. or do the same hoops we miners have to go through it gives me the sh.ts to say the least. mining is dyeing in Victoria because of such hard laws you can't do much and you pay though the neck if you want a mining licence that lasts for 20 years otherwise you pay 5k for a prospecting licence then bond witch is 10k. In most cases then after paying that money you can't use explosives even if you have a licence too you can't do a lot on a prospecting licence in the long term your better off getting a mining licence. the mines department if there's much of it left in vic should make a new licence somewhere in between a mining licence and prospecting licence and make it cheaper because they are very similar the only difference is on one you pay more and need more requirements e.g.. a mining licence and for a prospecting licence your very limited to what you can actually do after paying land bond and native title ohh yeah and it only lasts for 5 years and can't be renewed once you get the lease. so endless you find 15k worth of gold in 5 years its a waste of money. but the average joe can't fork out 15k to 20k when you think about it its really only set up for the big boys who have the cash behind them. your lease is 5k and around 10k for rehab land bond native title rights etc. then the other 5k you have to put towards crushing and treatment plants for your ore you wish to mine as well as other costs like lighting generators transport underground haulage or hoisting because there's no power onsite to run your machinery, hard wood timbers for the mine or steel depending on the type of ground it gets expensive I myself was going to start up a mine get a lease etc but gee wiz the hoops you have to go through and the money you have to spend its not worth it

anyway that's my 5 and a half cents worth

ballarat_gold said:
aussiefarmer said:
If it was close to me i would buy it , then advertise on sites like this and charge prospectors (like us) per day to come work it or have a 70/30 split system :Y: Sit back drink beer, cook bbqs and teach and learn and still get the gold :lol:

that is such a crap idea lol ... Ol ma n pa kettle come up to work it, Pa drops hammer on Mas' head, Ma dies, u get sued and hounded by work safe rest of your life, mine closes down, u lose out, work safe take your house, wife leaves you........ Crap idea. :)
Are you silly enough to think there wouldnt be a deep hole to chuck em both in , then drive their nomad 4x4 in ontop and back fill :rolleyes:
Atleast if i told tha cops they were buried somewhere in the area i might get a heap of digging done by them while they search.

People run recreational fossicking/prospecting on their leases now already so there must be insurance for it? Keep the punters out of any active mining areas (no doubt would be a requirement anyway) & let them fossick on old heaps or prospect any untouched land. Doesn't sound so silly to me. Good extra money earner & if they found a heap of surface gold somewhere then kick em off & fire up the dozer :lol:

Being a member of the SSAA (sporting shooters association of Australia) automatically gives you insurance cover if you stuff up on anyone's property.
Maybe look at who insures them if anyone was inclined to go down that path.

Thank you guys for your input. I have read all your comments and totally agree with you. I was actually thinking of taking up a busload of hopefuls up to the mine, charge x amount of dollars. It did not even contemplate the insurance and liability factor. Thanks ballarat-gold. Guess that's off the list now.

Well it isn't my problem, I guess my mate is going to lose the lot. Damn pity. The lease is about 90 Ha and has no machinery, just a hole in the ground. A lot of bore holes have been sunk and it would be a profitable site. It's called the Parnell mine. It was famous in it's days. The early prospectors took the "easy" gold and what is left is hard rock gold. One spot near the entrance produces about one ounce of gold per ton of rock.

I will be going to that place next autumn. I'm not interested in hard rock mining. However, going by the satellite imaginary there are hundreds of dried up winter creeks everywhere and there is plenty of alluvial gold. Western Australia is the last frontier for sure. If the old timers that invaded Ballarat had gone there, I'm sure the heat and the desolation would have killed them for sure. That's why there is still plenty of gold out there for us guys. It's still NOT an easy feat to simply drive there

I feel the same sense of hopelessness too. Have you noticed that after 150 years after the Eureka Stockade, things are slowly ending up the way they were then? The fees being charged by these parasites are untenable. I wouldn't mind paying a fair fee as long as they returned your money if you didn't find gold. But that's dreaming.
Our forefathers died in vain it seems.
Hunting the yellow said:
I hear you mate its funny that councils and government get to push roads in with dozers and cut house blocks out on the side of the hill and potentially do more environment damage in long term and get away with it and they don't have to pay land bonds native title rehab etc. or do the same hoops we miners have to go through it gives me the sh.ts to say the least. mining is dyeing in Victoria because of such hard laws you can't do much and you pay though the neck if you want a mining licence that lasts for 20 years otherwise you pay 5k for a prospecting licence then bond witch is 10k. In most cases then after paying that money you can't use explosives even if you have a licence too you can't do a lot on a prospecting licence in the long term your better off getting a mining licence. the mines department if there's much of it left in vic should make a new licence somewhere in between a mining licence and prospecting licence and make it cheaper because they are very similar the only difference is on one you pay more and need more requirements e.g.. a mining licence and for a prospecting licence your very limited to what you can actually do after paying land bond and native title ohh yeah and it only lasts for 5 years and can't be renewed once you get the lease. so endless you find 15k worth of gold in 5 years its a waste of money. but the average joe can't fork out 15k to 20k when you think about it its really only set up for the big boys who have the cash behind them. your lease is 5k and around 10k for rehab land bond native title rights etc. then the other 5k you have to put towards crushing and treatment plants for your ore you wish to mine as well as other costs like lighting generators transport underground haulage or hoisting because there's no power onsite to run your machinery, hard wood timbers for the mine or steel depending on the type of ground it gets expensive I myself was going to start up a mine get a lease etc but gee wiz the hoops you have to go through and the money you have to spend its not worth it

anyway that's my 5 and a half cents worth

Um yeah 300k? Slightly overpriced compared to everything I've seen advertised about. I haven't seen many advertised (1 or 2) for more than about 40k and there seem to be a lot cheaper around than that. Of course you don't know what gold is on the cheaper ones, but then nothing is a given anywhere I guess. :eek:

Chewy said:
Um yeah 300k? Slightly overpriced compared to everything I've seen advertised about. I haven't seen many advertised (1 or 2) for more than about 40k and there seem to be a lot cheaper around than that. Of course you don't know what gold is on the cheaper ones, but then nothing is a given anywhere I guess. :eek:

he may mean 30k or 3k not 300k surely ?

No, not the same bloke. That nugget was found at Avoca about 15 years ago also on a mining lease not far from the railway line. It was excavated using a Kato or something similar. The bloke that wants to sell his mine It's at a place called Nullagine, WA near mosquito creek and if you care to look it up, it's called the Parnell mine OK? can you stop having these digs at me. I know you don't believe what I've posted so when I finally get a picture of THAT nugget, I'd like to pin it to your forehead.
madtuna said:
Not the same mate who supposedly found the 20kg nugget is it? :)

Settle Petal!
I think I've only commented three times on your post, once to question your nuggets authenticity as honestly it appears to be melted and not natural and secondly and thirdly to query your mates 20kg nugget, which you have to agree is hard to swallow.

Now as for pinning it to my forehead, that will be rather hard, cause if your nugget is real and your mates 20kg nugget is real, I promise to swallow my own head and stream it live on yootoob :D

Oh alright Steve, let's be nice about all this. You've been a gentleman about your your reply and I promise to be nice too. Give me about a month and by that time I should be able to get a photo of that large nugget. When I saw it for the first time my jaw touched the ground. It's real alright. The bloke who has the image on his PC is reluctant to give me copy or even let me snap a pic with my camera of the image. But I'll try. I want to see you uphold your end of the bargain. Unfortunately I sold my nugget and other bits of gold I had to a buyer so it's gone. It's hard to believe your avatar is gold too... looks like melted down bit of scrap copper or painted up doggy doo.
madtuna said:
Settle Petal!
I think I've only commented three times on your post, once to question your nuggets authenticity as honestly it appears to be melted and not natural and secondly and thirdly to query your mates 20kg nugget, which you have to agree is hard to swallow.

Now as for pinning it to my forehead, that will be rather hard, cause if your nugget is real and your mates 20kg nugget is real, I promise to swallow my own head and stream it live on yootoob :D

Latest posts