Gday from Bacchus marsh area!

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Gday fellas,
Long time follower of the site, amateur prospector here. Just decided to register to the site today! I'm located in Darley which is pretty much Bacchus marsh area of Victoria. I have the Wombat State Forest and Lerderderg State Park pretty much on my door step. Have been out prospecting quite a few times, have panned some colour with maybe a handful of pickers. Have detected also but haven't struck gold so to speak, best find is an old rabbit trap amongst all the slug gun pellets and nails.

Anyway, thought I'd contribute a bit from now on in, enjoy seeing Detracks maps/thoughts on the area in past threads.

As most of you that know the Wombat area well, it is a hard slog with steep unforgiving terrain, but I do believe there is some big nuggets just laying there to be found for those willing to put in the effort!

I only wish they would open up Lerderderg State Park for prospecting, have seen some excellent ground on the Bacchus Marsh side of the park whilst out yabbying. Can only wish though hey? Will never happen!

Anyway blokes! Hope to catch up with a few of yas one day

Hi Darkhorse,
Welcome to the forum mate. You will learn a lot off the kind people on here!
I hit wombat area a bit with consistent luck (small stuff) but there has been some decent finds that way. Im in the northern melbourne region. Always happy to point someone in the right direction and if I'm over your way soon would be happy to take you to some spots.
By the way, what are you swinging mate?

Cheers
YF

1511685875_39.jpg

Welcome Darkhorse as above plenty of good info and people to help you out. Get up 10 post's and you can view the members section there's a camp happening from the 2nd of Dec from memory. You'd be welcome is the dates suit NW Vic region arranged by Yellow Fever. All the best when you do get out there.

Yellowfever,
I have a cheap and nasty which is a makro racer. Got it to start off to see if I'd enjoy the hobby or not. Will upgrade to a PI detector in the new year.
Funny enough my mates sdc crapped itself, he borrowed my detector 3 weeks ago and got x2 pickers off Yankee road which has got me interested in detecting again.

I'm an avid freshwater fisherman so when I don't do well on the fly rod I always have a pan in me car to test for colour.

If any of you blokes are from Bacchus marsh to
Travel past it feel free to shoot me a msg and we will catch up for a froffie

Mate you have a detector, your out there giving it a go....
That is THE recipe for finding gold! A PI detector will obviously increase your chances but the main thing is that your already out there working and learning the ground....
A lot of people lay out big $$$ for PI machines and find sweet f#*@ all, then they sell there gear at a loss and tell everyone it'sa waste of time. Simply because they never bothered to learn to read the ground and head to the right area's.
You have a huge bonus to start with by means of living next to Lerderderg/Blackwood/Trentham area.....
Get your pan and chase the gold up the creek until you hit more coarse stuff, when your getting pickers follow them up the creek until they stop.
Then start loaming up the hillsides...you may just loam up an area that has pieces big enough for your detector too pick up.

Cheers
YF

Cheers Yellowfever.

I have all the books and maps. Some rich history up that way.
A couple of good books to read are....
-The story of Blackwood
-Aspects of early Blackwood
-Some history of Simmons Reef,Blackwood
-The Billy Pincombe tragedy.

These all list specific details about some mining sites in the region..

There is something I'd like to know though, apparently there use to be a weir in Simmons Reef, it collapsed during the mining days. Anyone heard of or know where abouts it could of been? I'm very interested in finding where this was...

Darkhorse, if you go down Cameroins rd till the end there is a track on your right called Holts rd follow that to you hit nuggetty track, turn left on nuggetty aznd about 50 metres up there a nice bend in the goodmans creek i have panned some colour out of there. not much luck else where.

Yellowfever,
I have a cheap and nasty which is a makro racer. Got it to start off to see if I'd enjoy the hobby or not. Will upgrade to a PI detector in the new year.
Funny enough my mates sdc crapped itself, he borrowed my detector 3 weeks ago and got x2 pickers off Yankee road which has got me interested in detecting again.

I'm an avid freshwater fisherman so when I don't do well on the fly rod I always have a pan in me car to test for colour.

If any of you blokes are from Bacchus marsh to
Travel past it feel free to shoot me a msg and we will catch up for a froffie
Am seriously thinking about it m8? Got M/det couple pans & 4x4. Am think maybe Lerd Grge? May get lucky? Broady Area

Latest posts