What to do if you find someone on your lease?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi everyone

My mate and I have just bought a lease each (they are adjoining), and while I was up on mine last week, I noticed tire tracks and evidence of a recent campsite.

There's a track that goes through both our leases and I know you can't stop people from travelling along them, but what's the best way to handle things if you do find someone camping on your lease??

Also, is it worth posting signs near the track, warning people that they are entering a lease...something that says 'You are entering private property...no camping, prospecting, etc'

Thank in advance for your help.

regards
Rusty...

What state are you talking about. In WA, all you can do is ask to see there permit to be there, as its not solely leased over there. If they just a have a miners right, you explain and demand they move on, and you can take pics of them and rego etc and report it, but a waste of time really, if they have just dug up a big nugget and dont hand it over to you, it gets kept by the crown anyhow.
Yeah signs mite deter the novice. You will see signs up in WA saying "private lease, keep out" load of crock! No such thing over there. Unless its a big mining comp.
The E's over there dont give you soul lease ownership. More than one E can be put on the same area at the same time, crazy hey. And yes anyone can pass through it.
Best not do the E over there and just work it quietly without publicly letting everyone know your on a patch with 2 weeks free notice to go there before its approved.
Things may well be very different in QLD but.

Just a simple sign.... "P37/3928 No detecting"

Don't put private property, because it's not and if you catch them they will dig their heals in and argue the point with you.
A sign will keep the honest ones out but no one else. The only way to really keep anyone out is to be there.

If you catch them, all you can do is ask them to leave, record their number plates, dates times etc etc...
Catch them a second time and it's time to notify the GSDU. If they refuse to leave the first time also involve the GSDU.

mudgee hunter said:
What state are you talking about. In WA, all you can do is ask to see there permit to be there, as its not solely leased over there. If they just a have a miners right, you explain and demand they move on, and you can take pics of them and rego etc and report it, but a waste of time really, if they have just dug up a big nugget and dont hand it over to you, it gets kept by the crown anyhow.
Yeah signs mite deter the novice. You will see signs up in WA saying "private lease, keep out" load of crock! No such thing over there. Unless its a big mining comp.
The E's over there dont give you soul lease ownship. And yes anyone can pass through it.
Best not do the E over there and just work it quietly without publicly letting everyone know your on a patch with 2 weeks free notice to go there before its approved.
Things may well be very different in QLD but.

um...a private lease is a private lease! You have the right to pass through it but no right to detect it without a 40E or permission.

edit: also it is not a waste of time to report it.

10 different people can have an E 40 at the same time, same place, 3 people per app, 30 people is hardly private when also published on the net.
But yes as I said, signs mite help deter the honest ones

A private lease is a private lease. You can not detect on a private lease with out the lease holders permission.

You can get a 40E or permission to detect on an EL
You can get permission to detect on an ML but you cant get a 40E

You can only detect on a private lease- a P with the owners consent.

Put relevant signs out, if that fails then camp it there and if you catch them just throw a couple of m80's there way and im pretty sure they will evacuate. The bonus is that there will be no evidence of an m80 left for them to point the finger at you.
Works for me :D

I have quite a few signs safety and security as well, some read; "AREA UNDER VIDEO SURVEILLANCE ", also other signs stating that; "YOUR PRESENCE HAS BEEN RECORDED AND EVIDENCE WILL BE PASSED ONTO POLICE", one way in to the mine and one way out.
The latter sign is on the way out. Haven't had any return visitors.
And yes I have numerous cameras, obvious and hidden.
A mate of mine had two set up down near Thalgai , caught one guy steeling the other camera, he was prosecuted for numerous offences.

Most small cameras have a battery life of several months and some will take a solar panel.
I only use Duracell batteries now, last time I checked a camera with Energiser batteries in and one had burst after one month, no pictures for a few weeks. Never had a problem with Duracell.
If you attach them to a tree every time the wind blows and moves the tree it takes a picture, I used a bigger tree on that one.
Interesting to see what wild life is about as well.

12 months ago I caught a bloke there on camera, he was supposed to be there so it was a good test case, clear image of face, vehicle and rego, time, date.

They are worth there weight in gold.

Last year we decided to do the back road from Kal to Leonora and not the bitumen..about 50 ks ? Out of Kal camped for the night behind a big hill..In the morning when we left we found there's a working small lease on the other side of the hill, So the moral of the story is stop say gooday..we may not have even been on their lease but it's good manners..Usually they are happy to have a chat and are pleased you stopped ..Though that might not be the case is you had Vic number plates though..lol..just kidding

I have a few, the best one is a "Wildgame" i bought through a gun shop at about $260 + funny enough. Battery life on Wildgame is up to 6 months from trial, I just test batteries each time I check the sd card. This one has an audible/visual test. (most modern ones do now)
I have the oldest one from Jaycar that played up after a heavy rain storm and the pictures for the next week where misty, you could still see but I was annoyed as the camera was about $300, supposed to be water resistant (not), it was big and bulky , took 4 x "D" cells and 3 "C" cells, heavy on the juice. they don't sell them any more.

The Acorn off eBay is the most efficient for price so far, these are small, good and easy to hide, they have iPhone connectivity and alert, only if you are in a service area, you can get other systems that connect to your smart phone further away from civilisation but they are more expensive.
Acorn with energisers does not last as long and I have had problems with burst batteries (from heat I assume), Duracell will last for months and heat does not seem to affect them as much,that said I should have shares in Duracell for the amount of batteries I use but it's cheap insurance, or you can use the solar panel for a continuous power supply but is harder to hide.

Another miner I know in a populated mining area has one camera only and just has a sign above it "SMILE". He hasn't had any problems since, but I think it's foolish to have only one. For a grand you can get up to 6 cameras these days. Signage, one obvious camera, other camera hidden near that to take in the field of the first, as many cameras as you need to cover entrances, exits, camps, machinery, workings and tracks.
Check often, being there is best, get the word out there are cameras.
I had a few semi-honest visitors when present before I had cameras, since word has got around and I have not had a problem. Map of lease area and clearly marked boundaries is a must as well. Good relations with the property owner helps, keep them informed when coming and going, fill them in on stock movements, vehicle movements, water, rainfall etc,it's all appreciated.

Most of the multi camera security systems you would use in your home use 12 volts after the transformer, you can get an electrician to wire it up for solar and 12v battery, they are low current draw but are limited by the cables, more expensive ones use wifi so each camera needs a good battery type that will last in the heating and wet weather.

Heaps of options out there. If your like me, the area is remote so stand alone works best, cameras that transmit to a central collector use quite a bit of power so battery life is compromised.
You still get people that think it's okay to pick up stuff off someone else lease, it's not, as far as i'm concerned it's theft, I have signs to that effect, even if the Crown gets it you are the one loosing out.
Some illegal prospectors have meet with foul play in the past , as they have done in the past in W.A.
It's good to keep the cameras on while you are there as well, just in case.
I also have a spot 3 tracker which I think is worth looking into for personal security, a good investment for $200 per year, there are other brands that can send texts as well. Safety first!

I hope this helps.

The guy I bought my GPX5000 from, was telling me that he's installed some cameras on his leases, near where his equipment is housed.

He also has erected some signs, too.

regards
Rusty...

Latest posts