Anyone found a possible meteorite?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm new to fossicking but think I've found a real meteorite. Unfortunately I have to have it classified to say it is. Haven't been able to find anyone who can assist with this only overseas buyers but I want to keep it in Australia. Funnily I read an article saying no one is handing in new meteorite finds but obviously no one has information about how to go about it. I contacted the Qld Museum by email but no one has come back so they're not interested I'm assuming?

Jolie1!2! said:
I'm new to fossicking but think I've found a real meteorite. Unfortunately I have to have it classified to say it is. Haven't been able to find anyone who can assist with this only overseas buyers but I want to keep it in Australia. Funnily I read an article saying no one is handing in new meteorite finds but obviously no one has information about how to go about it. I contacted the Qld Museum by email but no one has come back so they're not interested I'm assuming?

Welcome to PA Jolie,
I reckon with the vast experience from many members of this forum, you may get at least a little bit of confirmation as to whether or not your (hopefully) space rock is fair dinkum or not.
As they say a picture is worth a word or 2 and I for one would like to see some :cool:
Enjoy this great forum mate and hope you can get some answers.
Cheers,
Billy.

1511012335_13.jpg

Welcome to PA, that would be a cool find to see, as said between the smart people here (Im not one of them lol) I think they could confirm it
Cheers
Jamie

Welcome to the forum. As they say, a picture paints a thousand words, I used to go out to Olary and look for tektites.

Post a (clear and focussed) photo to Australian Meteor Reports group on Facebook and we'll try to ID it for you. But don't post the state you found it in. We can usually tell right away if a rock is a meteorite or not. There are heaps of terrestrial and man-made rocks (like slag) that make detectors sing, so don't get your hopes up too much.

Still trying to upload pics of meteorite, aargh sorry think it's the service here. Will get it up eventually lol don't hold breath

Latest posts