Great Grandfathers gold pocket watch

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I recently found out that I have inherited this beautiful pocket watch and was checking it out today.
I'm amazed by the craftsmanship and beauty of it and thought I would share a few (a lot ;) ) photo's.
Its extremely heavy for its size and both sides of it open.
Since I know sweet FA about hallmarks and the like, I was wondering if any of our very knowledgeable members could help me in identifying what they mean and any other information about it.

1510467715_gpw_1.jpg

1510467715_gpw_2.jpg

1510467715_gpw_3.jpg

1510467715_gpw_4.jpg

1510467716_gpw_5.jpg

1510467716_gpw_6.jpg

1510467716_gpw_7.jpg

1510467717_gpw_8.jpg

1510467717_gpw_9.jpg

1510467717_gpw_10.jpg

Cheers,
Billy :cool:

Not able to find the exact but the R.B is the Makers Mark I believe, 18 is 18K Gold, the O is date mark and not sure of the Crown and last marking.

Even better Billy when the wear of time was from your own great grandad mate !
:Y: :cool: :Y:
you may need to do clear closeups of the hallmarks if possible. 8)

golddiggerart said:
Not able to find the exact but the R.B is the Makers Mark I believe, 18 is 18K Gold, the O is date mark and not sure of the Crown and last marking.

Thanks G art and have since done a bit of searching and you are spot on :Y:

silver said:
Even better Billy when the wear of time was from your own great grandad mate !
:Y: :cool: :Y:
you may need to do clear closeups of the hallmarks if possible. 8)

Mate it's awesome to think that he used it way back when and now in2017 I am lucky enough to still admire and cherish it. :cool:

RM Outback said:
I can't help you Billy but it's an awesome piece of family history

Not a problem at all RM and yes I was stoked when I found out that I was its latest minder ;)
I didn't get much of a chance to look at it in detail but the craftsmanship that has gone into it is mind blowing :eek:
Its certainly "stood the test of time" :lol:

Billy
I've dabbled in buying/selling vintage wrist watches in the past, and a few pocket watches.
The crown is the symbol for gold, 18 for 18 Karat, R.M is the case makers mark, and the O I believe for 1869.
Have a look at the following link: http://webarchive.nationalarchives....ingcouncil.gov.uk/publications/hallmarks2.pdf
Scroll down the page all you'll find what you need to know.
A great watch.
If you flip the back cover open you should see more details ...... How many Jewels and the maker of the movement.

Cheers

its had alot of use, going by the wear. Wouldnt mind seeing the movement, they can be very nicely detailed, might show the maker, and you can see how many jewells it has. Well worth having that serviced. The little numbers scribed into the inside of the lid, are repair dates, and the clocksmiths initials.

Whisp said:
Hi, what is the assay office mark to the right hand side of the crown, could you please do a close up just of that?
So far haven't yet found the right makers mark

To the right the leopard's head, and no other town mark indicating the London Assay Office.

I think you'll find that in the picture and in the thread they are one in the same...

rocketaroo said:
its had alot of use, going by the wear. Wouldnt mind seeing the movement, they can be very nicely detailed, might show the maker, and you can see how many jewells it has. Well worth having that serviced. The little numbers scribed into the inside of the lid, are repair dates, and the clocksmiths initials.

Thanks Rocket and I will hopefully get a chance next weekend to have a more detailed look and take a few more pictures.
Any suggestions as to where I would take it to be serviced?
I spend a fair bit of time in the Hunter region so somewhere there would be good.
What do you mean by jewels? Precious stones etc?
Cheers,
Billy.

ballarat_gold said:
What's it worth in coin.?
G'day BG, I would have no clue as to its monetary value but reckon the sentimental value would be higher ;)
It would be interesting to know though :)
Cheers,
Billy.

Billy said:
rocketaroo said:

Thanks Rocket and I will hopefully get a chance next weekend to have a more detailed look and take a few more pictures.
Any suggestions as to where I would take it to be serviced?
I spend a fair bit of time in the Hunter region so somewhere there would be good.
What do you mean by jewels? Precious stones etc?
Cheers,
Billy.

H ey Billy,

Watchmakers use jewels as the bearing surfaces.

Cheers

Doug

Latest posts