Mr Tumbles property at Silent Grove Torrington now closed

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Not happy :mad:

Following information from a FB site.

"For those who are unaware,all access to Mr Tumbles has been blocked INDEFINITELY. Someone thought they'd be clever by going in with a bulldozer and cutting a new face to rip out all the smokies they could find. Now no-one can get in there."

There goes another area that was offered by a lovely person to fossickers. This spot has also been used with permission as a field trip for Minerama in the past.

:mad: :mad: :mad:

This stuff just INFURIATES me!!!! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

It only takes one greedy or vexatious idiot to forever destroy a good fossicking site for everyone - and it just seems to happen again and again and again! Either someone takes an excavator in without permission or some clown trips over their own feet and hurts themselves and decides to sue the property owner.

Here in Queensland, the Chudleigh Park peridot diggings and the Springsure opalised wood deposit have both suffered these fates while the garnet dig at Proston was closed for related reasons (new owners apparently decided risk of law suits was too high these days) and the topaz diggings at Mount Gibson now have very strict entry conditions attached after someone fell on the mountainside and sued the property owner.

At this rate there won;t be anything left in five or ten years time.

There just doesn't seem to be any way to stop the 1% from ruining it for the other 99% :(

Quite a few Property owners Down that way have their own Dozers.. Happens Unfortunately all to often at Torrington and Must Stop.... :mad:

Several calls have been made on these Guys, but No Action has ever been taken... :rolleyes:

LW..... :rainbow:

Difficult to understand what someone with a dozer would be looking for there.
Quartz (smokey's etc.) topaz, whatever not worth the while.

Emerald (beryl) is a different matter, but that place is way off the run.
If the dozer is caught working, ping the operator. If the dozer is left on a legal tenement/property simply immobilize it.

The Torrington Tableland is an amazing area, the original cattle grazing rights extending up to the Qld. boundary and E/W around 75km. The cattle yards in the old village of Tungsten are still visible plus the small cemetery where Joe Bates the discoverer of Tin in the region is interred.

Sadly. there is too much history lost and too much recent bullshite about Torrington. Just get out there and discover what has not yet been found.
Do a search and look around the old Smiths Mica lode....plenty of potential for the serious fossicker there.
Mike

This happens down here in W.A not there arnt any spots leftaround Perth or the southwest thanks to people leaving rubbish, big holes etc

LoneWolf said:
A nice plate of Smokeys can fetch big $$ Overseas....

LW...... :rainbow:

:Y: :Y: :Y: :Y: . I wouldn't be knocking well formed quartz crystals. Saw a cluster of amethyst crystals from Cloncurry(?) going for thousands of US $'s the other day. Single smokies averaging about $20 US.

In which case.....any offers on my avatar?
Clear quartz, with a few small inclusions (tourmaline?) at 1.97 Kg. it would cut into quite a few good stones
Still a fair bit of decent sized quartz lying around in the hills.
Mike

I notice that a Mining Lease Application No. 547 has been lodged with the DEP for an area of about 740Ha. with the SE datum approx. 5km. NW of Torrington.
The application is for all metallic and non metallic minerals.

I would imagine that an attempt to re construct the remains of the old Pacific Copper topaz processing plant may be under consideration.
The applicant, Torrington Minerals pty.ltd. is a Brisbane based company.

May be a new start for Torrington, but will need some deep pockets to finance it.
Mike

There are quite a few Leases around Torrington.... There is a Silver/Tin mine going in at Emmaville... Due to start in 12 months time... Exploration is now complete, and now they are waiting for their MO Licence..... One 'issue' they are having is with the RTA or who-ever looks after roads in NSW... The Mine wanted the Railway opened so they could Transport their Silver/Tin... This was quickly dismissed by the NSW Government... So they wanted to Truck it down to Newcastle... The RTA has denied them a permit to Transport by Road... Still a few issues to work-out I think....

When you say Mining Lease?.... Exploration Lease(looking), then there is another type of Exploration Lease, then a Mining Operation Lease(actual Mining taking place)...

One Day Torrington and Emmaville will see several Mines... Not just yet, if the State Gov has their way, It may be a long way away... :N:

LW.....

Torrington Minerals is a wholly owned subsidiary of TopTung Ltd., a company which morphed out of the defunct Krucible Metals show.
TopTung own the EL's 8258 and 8355 covering an area of around 54 sq.km.

This application is for a Mining Lease (as stated above) but at their (TopTung) share price (0.03) and Sept. quarterly report the pockets do not seem sufficiently deep.
Time will tell, but I guess it may put a dampener on fossicking activity out there.

Silver Mines at Emmaville was always going to be a flop. I had some spare cash and bought 110k. @ 0.09 and sold @ 0.38 within 14 days. The old adage, loose lips sink ships, they were yapping too much at the pub...lol
That show is pretty much gone, the new deal is at Mudgee.
Mike

I don't think so boobook... A good mate is Employed with them as a Geo Consultant with Silver Mines for their Emmaville Project... And They are Going Ahead... as soon as they sort their Transport issues... The Application to Mine (MO) has also been made and awaiting 'Approval'.... It ALL relies on the Transport Issue getting sorted out First..

If it is in the 'Fossicking District', they cannot Stop you Fossicking in an EL..... There are Some Laws that are For Us Fossickers... ;) :Y:

LW.....

LW..
Well, I hope something comes of the Emmaville show and I admire your optimism.
The Company is burning into their cash reserves though and their Director stability has not been too good.
Still a lot of work to do before the trucks start rolling out.

I am always on the side of the fossicker.....provided the fossicker is doing the right thing.
Fifteen years opal mining in SW Qld. showed what a headache uninvited visitors can be.
Mike

Yes Mike fingers crossed for The Emmaville Show. :rolleyes: ... That is always the issue when you want to open a Mine $$$$ There are a 'Few' down that way that Don't do the right thing....
Would be good for the Area if it does go ahead...One Day...

The Drilling Results show a Massive Tin Lode sitting on top of a very large Silver Lode... They are hoping the Tin will pay for the Mine and the Silver will be Profit... A Few Mates down there have had some interest on their Property's Lately too... The Metal prices must be getting better...

LW.....

Latest posts