Headphones or Speaker

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
What's everyone using in this regard? I've only used my speaker up to this stage mostly to take advantage of the built in amp. Considering using the earphones on my next outing tho.

I used to use speaker but for the last 10 or so year I have been using head phone and the only time I use a speaker is teaching people how to use their detector regards john :Y:

I have just gone back to using headphones. Just over a week ago, a couple of PA members did some tests on buried targets using a variety of machines and coils. We also did a comparison between a speaker and headphones. I was actually shocked as to how much better the headphones were. At this stage, I wont be going back. Signal enhancers and stereo speakers were not used so I cant comment on them. If I have someone walking with me, I would still use a speaker so they can hear whats going on.

Cheers

Les

What earbuds do you use?
Balmain Bob said:
I have changed from using headphones to using earbuds. They allow you to hear even more faint signals and you can wear a hat on a hot day :lol:

I only use a BZ booster and speakers, I hate headphones and even more to be attached to the metal detector with wires, and I don't think I miss much, I found nuggets 0.4, 0.6 of a gram. Even if I miss the fly shit I am not worry.

Today (Vic - Nth Central) is/was a perfect day for a speaker imo but in the wind I'll definitely use headphones just me that's what I prefer. Either way people are different and find there preference so go with what makes you happy :Y:.

I'm heading out in the morning. I'll give em a go for a while and see how we go. I won't be wearing them all day I'll tell ya right now. Bloody things make me hot.

Yesterday I was sweating with the headphones on so have packed the iPod ear buds to try tomorrow as I imagine it'll be more comfortable in the heat.

Ive tried a speaker but just didnt like it so in the heat its earbuds for me. Kinda amplifies external noise a bit I find but still better than a speaker I reason . I think you need to try different things as everyones hearing is different so find what suits.

Speakers are only good if there is no external noise, Wind, wild life, traffic or Aircraft etc will all cost you good targets unless they give you a strong signal and you will miss 40 to 50% of targets under those conditions, Regardless whether people hate headphones or not the fact is headphones are better because you focus on only one sound source,

People complain that they get to hot, Well that also works the other way also because in the winter months they also keep your ears warm So that argument balances it's self out So it is not a valid excuse.

Bottom line is, When it comes to hearing Signals nothing beats Headphones, because the only sound you hear is the detector,, Helping you hear those fainter, much deeper Targets.

I hate em in the Summer but love em in the winter, But no matter what I still use them all year round.

J.

Summer in Pomsville wouldn't be as hot as here - I hate headphones through our summer and use the speaker on both sdc and Z'd AND I dont need a "valued excuse" :)

I swap back and forth quite a bit but I only have the original Koss earphones. I spent almost all this season with just the Minelab speaker on the 4500.

I recently went up a gully where I had previously found a 9g nugget using the 4500 and 14" Coiltek Elite. This time I fitted a 19" Nugget Finder Evolution hoping to get something deeper but got nothing. Later I tried again with the original 11" Commander mono running very quietly and pinged a 6g piece. I continued on and got another faint signal so before I disturbed the ground I refitted the 19" NF and the Koss earphones. Still nothing but in my frustration I threw the earphones aside and there it was. I got a faint signal on the NF but still not as good as the Commander. Then I tried the Commander with earphones and even though I could pick it up the signal on speaker was much clearer.

The nugget was just over 2g at 200mm down. I repeated the exercise on two more found a couple of metres on. That converted me to using the 11" Commander with speaker for most of the rest of the season.

Good earphones change all that :)

Moneybox said:
I swap back and forth quite a bit but I only have the original Koss earphones. I spent almost all this season with just the Minelab speaker on the 4500.

I recently went up a gully where I had previously found a 9g nugget using the 4500 and 14" Coiltek Elite. This time I fitted a 19" Nugget Finder Evolution hoping to get something deeper but got nothing. Later I tried again with the original 11" Commander mono running very quietly and pinged a 6g piece. I continued on and got another faint signal so before I disturbed the ground I refitted the 19" NF and the Koss earphones. Still nothing but in my frustration I threw the earphones aside and there it was. I got a faint signal on the NF but still not as good as the Commander. Then I tried the Commander with earphones and even though I could pick it up the signal on speaker was much clearer.

The nugget was just over 2g at 200mm down. I repeated the exercise on two more found a couple of metres on. That converted me to using the 11" Commander with speaker for most of the rest of the season.

Good earphones change all that :)

You will hear those faint signals a lot better using Grey Ghosts or Nugget Busters, They really high light small/faint signals and allow you to pick out the slightest waver in the threshold and the signal is a lot sharper than the koss 30-30's, I started using them about 7 or 8 years ago and nothing comes close If you hunt by using the threshold to hear them whispers.

John.

With summer the flies are going to be a problem out bush .. We have fly nets to wear , but I dont know how wearing the fly net will impact wearing head phones ?
Might be a good idea to invest in some ear buds , what brand/type would be the ones to get ?
I have a 4500 thanks.. :)

Latest posts