Hi from the Illawarra

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi there,

I'm Rom.
I started with an interest in silver jewellery. Moving on to an interest in lapidary - interested in fossicking too.
Definitely wouldn't mind getting a metal detector either, apparently neither would my Dad, haha.

Found this website on my Internet travels because I am looking to learn and thought I'd check it out :)

welcome mate some of us have started to get together every now and then up around kiama/shellharbour
just keep an eye on this forum it will pop up and just tag along i will let you have a go with Khaleesi (Gold monster 1000)and i am sure reefer and pete165 will show you the xterra 705 as well
ask questions and read the posts on here they are very informative on just about every topic there is
1509957410_61.jpg

Hi Rom,
I am also from the 'Gong area.
You should join the Illawarra Lapidary Club if you are interested in lapidary.
The club has a field trip going out to Oberon on the 18th of this month.
Cheers,
Dave.

Hi Dave,

I've actually been interested in doing just that. I went to the show in Dapto on the weekend and seeing as it's the end of the year and there is no meeting next month, I figured I would just join at the beginning of next year. The field trip sounds good though hmmm...

Yeh Rom,
We dropped in to the show on Saturday. A good crowd was there all weekend I was told.
Unfortunately, I was under orders not to buy any more rocks; but the "Crystal Queen" couldn't resist the temptations on display.
It's always good to have a field trip. We will be hitting Porters Retreat and Sapphire Bend, the weekend after this one.
Dinner Saturday night at the Oberon RSL too. The "Queen" and I plan to be in Oberon from Friday morning 17th to Sunday 19th.
We want to check out the Blue Hills quarry (if fossicking is still allowed). Then we want to check out a spot I've had my eye on for some time.
Send me an email if you want more info about the trip or the club.
Dave.

Well there certainly was a lot of stuff, I just keep going around and around looking at everything like the extreme newb that I am lol not sure how one could resist not getting anything haha :lol:

Thanks for that, it's very tempting. I'll have a think about it :)

Chiron52 said:
Yeh Rom,
We dropped in to the show on Saturday. A good crowd was there all weekend I was told.
Unfortunately, I was under orders not to buy any more rocks; but the "Crystal Queen" couldn't resist the temptations on display.
It's always good to have a field trip. We will be hitting Porters Retreat and Sapphire Bend, the weekend after this one.
Dinner Saturday night at the Oberon RSL too. The "Queen" and I plan to be in Oberon from Friday morning 17th to Sunday 19th.
We want to check out the Blue Hills quarry (if fossicking is still allowed). Then we want to check out a spot I've had my eye on for some time.
Send me an email if you want more info about the trip or the club.
Dave.

How did you go with the trip? I hope you had a 'rock ing' good time haha

Hi Rom

Firstly glad to see you joined the forum. Welcome mate. As 7.65 said when we meet up I will definately show you the 705. Good basic starter. Plenty to read. But also post. Most of all Enjoy yourself. :) :) :Y: :Y:

welcome to the forum rom.I am from Shellharbour as well.seems like there's a growing contingent of us! :Y: You have come to probably the best forum in the country.There is no end of people here to both give you advise and refer you to where you might have your queries answered.Be sure to get your 10 posts out of the way and open up the Members section for yourself.Cheers Reefer. :cool:

pete165 said:
Hi Rom

Firstly glad to see you joined the forum. Welcome mate. As 7.65 said when we meet up I will definately show you the 705. Good basic starter. Plenty to read. But also post. Most of all Enjoy yourself. :) :) :Y: :Y:

Thanks heaps Pete, I keep finding really good posts, they're never ending lol

reefer said:
welcome to the forum rom.I am from Shellharbour as well.seems like there's a growing contingent of us! :Y: You have come to probably the best forum in the country.There is no end of people here to both give you advise and refer you to where you might have your queries answered.Be sure to get your 10 posts out of the way and open up the Members section for yourself.Cheers Reefer. :cool:

Thanks Reefer, got my 10 posts out of the way. Had some nice fish and chips today in Shellharbour, taking advantage of the Sun while it's out :cool: :D

Latest posts