What's your biggest challenge?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Good day everyone

I'm completely new to metal detecting and was wondering what's the biggest challenges you face when metal detecting in the outback apart from having a reliable vehicle, energy beacon, uhf radio and water?

Looking forward to learning from you

Thank you

Two factors complete opposite of each other ..................... to much heat and to little time :/

Last week it was the flies buzzing around my head at Wedderburn,Victoria,which made it unpleasant to detect.Also did not stop at Aldi for a slab and we were running on empty. :mad:

A big challenge, is getting access to locations that have the potential to be good detecting areas.
Many places are on private property, national parks or are on crown land leased to farmers and or covered by native title etc..
Another challenge is the remote areas that are open but with little or limited 4 x 4 access.. you really need a good GPS unit to get you to and from places as well..

Have lots of patience and look at every trip as an opportunity to learn.

I've got into the habit of jotting down one thing I learnt at the end of each day I go out.

Could also be a light bulb moment I got from reading something insightful posted on this site.

Convincing the wife not to worry about snakes when camping out on the diggings.Finally did it at Wedderburn as she did not see one for 5 days.To her not seeing them means they are not out there,but I know better ;)

Retaining your ability to speak fluently after weeks alone in the outback

Finding a flushing lavatory for the wife

Leaving

nuggetino said:

Leaving

I installed a compost toilet that lasts several weeks between emptying. There's no flush but that saves on water. It takes 4.5L of water to service it every month or so.

Moneybox said:
nuggetino said:

Leaving

I installed a compost toilet that lasts several weeks between emptying. There's no flush but that saves on water. It takes 4.5L of water to service it every month or so.

MB whats the brand please ? Always with I could take the shitter with me :(
:Y:

My biggest challenge is I really don't take it seriously. I had good help on my first trip from Bigwave and got a .26.
Since then I just camp, sink some beers and have the odd swing.
I really don't have the hunger to find it like some fellas have.
My last trip I did begin to understand the settings better, so that did make me a lot more motivated, dug a few very deep targets in soil like concrete.
Depends on what you want to do and what you have experienced previously.
I was a sheep farmer many moons ago, so what challenges some may not piss me off, heat, flies etc.

Sticking to one coil and having confidence in your set up, start with a small-medium sized and resist the urge to change coils constantly until you under stand the machine.

Latest posts