Minelab history on Model Supercedes - CTX

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Was wondering how long (in years) typically Minelab has a new model on the market before it becomes superseded by a a newer latest and greatest Minelab model. I'm thinking of buying a new CTX but have noticed it has already been in the market for 5 years. Not looking for a guarantee but it has crossed my mind that the CTX model might be superseded shortly by some thing else from Minelab, making resell difficult for this relatively expensive metal detector. What do you think, how long until the CTX is no longer the top of the line general use metal detector from Minelab?

Minelab are very very good at keeping secrets until they want the info known by the general public. I am of the opinion also that they must have a new premium treasure detector in the works.

I'm not sure if you have heard of the 2 new "Equinox" detectors they are releasing in a few months time? Some people say the Equinox 800 will suprcede the CTX and others say it won't...... I guess we will find out when users of both start reporting.

Either way if the CTX is superceded by these models or a new one secretly in the works the fact remains that the CTX won't stop finding treasure if it is superceded by a newer better model, the CTX is one of the best treasure detectors ever made and will continue to find it's fair share regardless of what comes out in the future.

In saying this though when the CTX is superceded I'll be one of the first to buy the new technology.

Anyway my CTX has paid for itself numerous times over, actually to be honest my $100 aldi detector paid for my CTX to begin with. So I don't really think it's such a matter of what you swing but more of a where you swing and how often that makes the difference between being a successful detectorist or being not so successful.

Just my thoughts.

Thanks for your thoughts Heatho, I think they have a "new CTX 3030" in the works too. Maybe its called the 4040 or maybe the dirty 30! - who knows LOL.
But seriously they need to do be doing some R&D to keep at the front of the game and have a succession plan for the top of the line 3030; however after a significant cash outlay by people who bought and are still buying new CTX 3030's today I don't think five years for a model life in this case is enough. Too much cash outlay and then soon after it gets superseded -those people might be ticked off at Minelab and cautious to buy another Minelab machine.

I know about the Equinox detectors. They are only single frequency machines. In my opinion they are no where near superseding the CTX from a specifications perspective anyways.

One of the things that jumps out at me is the fact that Coiltek in the last two years have been releasing new coils for the CTX, I suspect Coiltek probably knows about Minelab's model successions plans (Coiltek would be under non-disclosure - they can't likely tell any body about those plans) and they wouldn't be sinking time into new coils for the CTX if there wouldn't be a market for the new Coiltek coils for a while.

site choice is 80% of your success, the rest is your ability, and the machine. I prob wont be buying another detector, as the sites are dwindling. But if you can swing it, buy the ctx after its been superceded, save $$$, or buy the new model.

w-t-d said:
Thanks for your thoughts Heatho, I think they have a "new CTX 3030" in the works too. Maybe its called the 4040 or maybe the dirty 30! - who knows LOL.
But seriously they need to do be doing some R&D to keep at the front of the game and have a succession plan for the top of the line 3030; however after a significant cash outlay by people who bought and are still buying new CTX 3030's today I don't think five years for a model life in this case is enough. Too much cash outlay and then soon after it gets superseded -those people might be ticked off at Minelab and cautious to buy another Minelab machine.

I know about the Equinox detectors. They are only single frequency machines. In my opinion they are no where near superseding the CTX from a specifications perspective anyways.

One of the things that jumps out at me is the fact that Coiltek in the last two years have been releasing new coils for the CTX, I suspect Coiltek probably knows about Minelab's model successions plans (Coiltek would be under non-disclosure - they can't likely tell any body about those plans) and they wouldn't be sinking time into new coils for the CTX if there wouldn't be a market for the new Coiltek coils for a while.

Some interesting points you have made there for sure. Yeah they'd have to have something in the works for sure. I wouldn't be dirty if they released a new technology replacing the 3030, maybe others would, I don't know, it will always be an excellent detector regardless.

The equinox though is not just a single frequency machine. It has a multi type function similar to FBS as well selectable single frequencies.

From the minelab website.

"Introducing Multi-IQ

Multi-IQ is Minelabs next major innovation and can be considered as combining the performance advantages of both FBS and VFLEX in a new fusion of technologies. It isnt just a rework of single frequency VLF, nor is it merely another name for an iteration of BBS/FBS. By developing a new technology, as well as a new detector from scratch, we will be providing both multi-frequency and selectable single frequencies in a lightweight platform, at a low cost, with a significantly faster recovery speed that is comparable to or better than competing products."

https://www.minelab.com/anz/go-minelabbing/treasure-talk/equinox-technologies-part-1

Thx so much Heatho. The words from Minelab "lightweight platform" is telling.
If it truly is a platform I think we can expect a few more models in this "platform" than just the 600 and 800.

Latest posts